PDA

View Full Version : box help!!

dwman
09-08-2007, 02:09 PM
ok i have built a few boxes and i am going to falce deck everything to make it custom built to the truck but i know i got to start with a reg box

i am running 4 pg octane dvc 12's my question is should i do a ported box or a sealed?

i am not the smartest guy but if they call for 1ft of air space i will build the box 12x12x12 per sub right?? inches

also not real shure on how to go about building a ported box as far as port location and size etc any help?

dB-SPL
09-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I just built my first vented enclosure not too long ago as well. I did the same as you. I thought WAY more than I should have. It's really so much simpler than you think. Choose your box volume and tuning frequency. I used WinISD to help aid me through it. My box is 1 cu.ft. per sub and an additional 12.75 sq.in. for port area. They say that you should use about 12-14 square inches of port area for every cubic foot of volume. And yes, 12"x12"x12" = 1 cu.ft. Port location can be virtually anywhere so long as nothing obstructs the air flow. Hope that helps a little.

-Bill-

PV Audio
09-09-2007, 12:49 PM
You don't need box help, you need English help.

jellyfish420
09-10-2007, 02:21 AM
I just built my first vented enclosure not too long ago as well. I did the same as you. I thought WAY more than I should have. It's really so much simpler than you think. Choose your box volume and tuning frequency. I used WinISD to help aid me through it. My box is 1 cu.ft. per sub and an additional 12.75 sq.in. for port area. They say that you should use about 12-14 square inches of port area for every cubic foot of volume. And yes, 12"x12"x12" = 1 cu.ft. Port location can be virtually anywhere so long as nothing obstructs the air flow. Hope that helps a little.

-Bill-

:fyi: you never want a "square" box.

dB-SPL
09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
I didn't imply that a square box was good nor bad. I simply answered his mathematical equation. :)

-Bill-