PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep these Alpine Type S's or replace with Polk dB?

Dave_88LX
09-06-2007, 12:55 AM
I bought some stuff for my wife's Civic...Pioneer 5900IB head unit, and a pair of Polk dB 651 6.5" speakers. Little did I know that the car already has Alpine Type S speakers in it...never would have guessed because of how crappy they sounded with the stock head unit driving them. I got them for $75/pair (Buy 1 get 1 1/2 off at Circuit City). Does either sound much different or better over the other?

I don't think they are the new Type-S's, probably older ones.

The only thread I could find is this one:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182405&highlight=alpine+polk

Here everyone says to get Polk. Don't know if they are worth replacing though. I did already buy them.

Dave_88LX
09-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Also, I was wondering if there could be any damage possibly to the speakers from possibly being underdriven at loud volumes = distortion to hell.

Gary S
09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Here everyone says to get Polk. .

- Yes, that sounds typical. But their popularity does not match their value. The alpines are on par with the Polk speakers you are talking about. If you really want to upgrade the sound, get a sub and amp the system before you start upgrading components for the best sound for your dollar.

If you absolutely have to change the speakers alone, Pioneer rev sound better than average on head unit power.

Dave_88LX
09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Personally I would add an amp to the system, but it's my wife's car, and she's not all into it. She actually doesn't think that she will be able to tell the difference between factory and aftermarket components; so selling her an amp and sub into the mix definitely won't go over. :) I already bought the Polk's w/o knowing it already had the Alpines that's why I was wondering.

I'll hook it up w/ the Alpines and see how it sounds, keep the Polks for something else...

Dave_88LX
09-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Well upon closer inspection these Alpines look like they've seen better days. The rubber surround is deteriorated, when I press against it, it's got a crack/rot about 1/2 way through the rubber and mini cracks throughout. They sound crappy when turned up. Might as well just put the new ones in.

tbasile1
09-06-2007, 05:30 PM
yeah sounds like its time for new speakers lol

those Polks are pretty decent

Dave_88LX
09-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Polk can kiss my ***, how do they not include speaker wire?:mad: Every pair of speakers I have ever bought came with wires! Of course, they are all packed up b/c I just moved, so I don't have access to any of them. :furious:

I don't have any of the connectors needed either so I guess I will have to go see if I can buy the darn things. Pain in my ***. Previous moron who installed the Alpines left like 1.5" of stub on the existing wiring. For some reason the wiring is a bit corroded, black in color. I tried unraveling and cutting back until I found clean wire, I'm about as far back as I can go. :( Good thing this is just a DD, otherwise I would have to run new wires. Should be fine, although I'm a bit irritated that the wires were black.

Can't use the little speaker wire harness deal off the Alpines either, it's only ~2" long heh.:suicide: