PDA

View Full Version : speaker install question.

ledzeppac
09-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Im sure I already know the anwser to this but:

Im installing some memphis comps and on "my" car the power window motor and the back of the speaker rub very slightly. Will that rubbing affect speaker magnet in anyway?

Thank you

Pimpdaddyq
09-05-2007, 03:45 AM
It shouldn't really do anything bad to the speaker.. itll scuff the magnet maybe, and maybe mess your window up.. but shouldn't affect the speaker quality wise.. but i might be wrong..

Andrew

xtremekustomz
09-05-2007, 08:59 AM
If you've got a little extra room in front of your door panel you can make an mdf ring to bring it out a little.

ledzeppac
09-05-2007, 11:48 AM
MDF rings were being made last night, the mounting depth is very limited and the dorr panel would not seal with a large MDF ring.

Thank, Ill let it rub.

Gary S
09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
If you've got a little extra room in front of your door panel you can make an mdf ring to bring it out a little.

- This is the safest bet.

But as long as it does not touch the black ring magnet that encircles the magnet area, you will be okay. You never want anything to touch that, they are fragile like glass and pieces can shatter.

If it's just touching the bottom of the magnet, and you can't or won't use a spacer, I'd treat or paint the bottom of the speaker with some kind of damping material.

ledzeppac
09-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I've spaced it out to my max.

These memphis' have a rubber ring around the magnet for protection.

It seemed like its only rubbing on the very back of the magnet.

I was just worried that the magnatized metal would cuase interference or something.

- This is the safest bet.

But as long as it does not touch the black ring magnet that encircles the magnet area, you will be okay. You never want anything to touch that, they are fragile like glass and pieces can shatter.

If it's just touching the bottom of the magnet, and you can't or won't use a spacer, I'd treat or paint the bottom of the speaker with some kind of damping material.

Gary S
09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
These memphis' have a rubber ring around the magnet for protection.

- Don't be fooled, it might not be enough protection if it hits something solid.

I've spaced it out to my max.

It seemed like its only rubbing on the very back of the magnet.

I was just worried that the magnatized metal would cuase interference or something.

- not a problem as long as you get some damping stuff on the back.