PDA

View Full Version : first box questions

shynegrynd07
09-03-2007, 04:28 PM
after i cut the MDF, can i use gorilla glue to hold the boards together? and then use it to fill the cracks and stuff to?

or should i use liquid nails?

or drill out holes and use screws to hold the boards together?

it's a ported box. i have building experience, just not subwoofer boxes..

and yes, i'm using .75" partical board.

mazdakid
09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
id use gorilla glue over liquid nails to hold the wood together. the ln will work on the inside of the box to seal the seams

Joseph K
09-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Particle board... not my cup of tea... as for holding it together, TITEBOND III. Has a stronger bond than Gorilla glue, and probably stronger than liquid nails... I do wood glue on each seam, then screw together. Screws are just used to achieve the same result that clamps give, to hold it together tight while the glue cures. A lot of people just use wood glue and clamps, though... works just fine.

shynegrynd07
09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Particle board... not my cup of tea... as for holding it together, TITEBOND III. Has a stronger bond than Gorilla glue, and probably stronger than liquid nails... I do wood glue on each seam, then screw together. Screws are just used to achieve the same result that clamps give, to hold it together tight while the glue cures. A lot of people just use wood glue and clamps, though... works just fine.

i thought you were supposed to use particle board?

billabongcr
09-03-2007, 09:19 PM
nails and liquid nail along all corners

Mystic Knight
09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I've always used Liquid Nails and screwed it together using countersunk drywall screws. Once everything has dried I run a bead of clear 100% silicone along all seams inside. There might be better ways but I've never had any problems doing it this way.

Trixter
09-04-2007, 02:52 PM
elmer's wood glue...hasn't failed me yet.

Immacomputer
09-04-2007, 07:41 PM
i thought you were supposed to use particle board?

Use MDF. It cuts easier, it doesn't chip away like particle board, it's stronger, and it should last longer. I believe it's only a $1-2 more or so.