PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DEH-P88RS/DEH-P880PRS + iPod/USB

Joe Sixpack
09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Hello!

I'm considering the DEH-P88RS/DEH-P880PRS, but I also need some kind of mass storage device for my music. A few questions to anyone with hands-on experience from this HU + iPod or USB-adapter:

1) From reading the manual, it seems the USB adapter will be recognized as an "external unit", so I suspect full song names or file names won't be displayed. Can anyone confirm this?

2) When playing MP3s from the iPod, can the HU display artist/song name? (According to the manual, artist/song name combo is available only when playing MP3s from CD, but not from iPod.)

3) Will the HU remember the last used display settings, or do you have to click 'display' all the time?

4) When navigating a huge music library, is it possible to go genre -> artist -> song, or will all songs in the genre appear directly when you choose genre (genre -> song)?

5) Can the clock in the HU be set to 24h instead of am/pm?

Thanks for any input...

danz24
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
1) yes full song names will be displayed, if it cant fit on the screen u can choose it to scroll, and i dont htink there is a usb adaptor on the 880??
2)yes it can, both ipod and cd
3)i dont get
4)yes its possible, almost like navigating ur ipod

CrossFired
09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Hello!

I'm considering the DEH-P88RS/DEH-P880PRS, but I also need some kind of mass storage device for my music. A few questions to anyone with hands-on experience from this HU + iPod or USB-adapter:

1) From reading the manual, it seems the USB adapter will be recognized as an "external unit", so I suspect full song names or file names won't be displayed. Can anyone confirm this?

2) When playing MP3s from the iPod, can the HU display artist/song name? (According to the manual, artist/song name combo is available only when playing MP3s from CD, but not from iPod.)

3) Will the HU remember the last used display settings, or do you have to click 'display' all the time?

4) When navigating a huge music library, is it possible to go genre -> artist -> song, or will all songs in the genre appear directly when you choose genre (genre -> song)?

5) Can the clock in the HU be set to 24h instead of am/pm?

Thanks for any input...

I dont have an 880 but I used an 860 for three years and just got a 980.

The 860 would display song, album or artist(but only one line), the 980 will do two at once. I belive both use the Ipod thru the Ipod adaptor(CD-IB100II) and not USB(like the newest units).

I'm very pleased with the SQ of the 980. I do miss have two knobs but the much faster Ipod control is very nice. If I had to do over, I would not go with the 980 or 880 bur rather the 780(as I do not even use a cell phone). The user interface of the 780/980 are far better than the 860/880.

I'm running Boston Pro for fronts and rears with a Pioneer low profile 12" sub and Crossfire VR404 and VR401 for amps. The SQ is bliss!:veryhapp: