PDA

View Full Version : should i do it? 2 18" bl's in 16-20 cubes?

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
currently they are sitting in 11.5 cubes or so tuned to about 35hz. output is pretty good but still not quite where i want it to be. seems like with my ammount of power they should be louder, especially for 2 18's. the only thing i can think of is box volume being on the small side. i was told by the FI guys that 5.5-6 cubes would be fine with my power, but im having doubts now.

im thinking of sacrificing my rear seats and build the box to take up the whole cargo area but still be at/under the window line. this would give me a **** load more room to work with not to mention also having room to mount my amps more favorable and add batteries. and also i would be able to get a huge *** port as well, compared to my 168" sq port that i have now.

is this worth it, or am i chasing ghosts trying to get these things louder?

smd4life
09-02-2007, 08:32 PM
you need more powa....buy my 40.1

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 08:33 PM
you need more powa....buy my 40.1

you dirty *****, i cant afford a 40.1...nor the electrical to back it up :blackeye:

UndercoverPunk
09-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't go over 16.

smd4life
09-02-2007, 08:35 PM
well your box seems to be the right size.....

andytb
09-02-2007, 08:36 PM
have you metered it yet?

bk12321
09-02-2007, 08:37 PM
my friends explorer with all seats still in it gets pretty ****in loud with 2 15s...

I think you could get by with using all the space in the back and leaving the seats in there

no idea whats wrong with ur setup though, you could use a little more power but a kicker 2500.1 should make those things get pretty **** loud

2002XLT
09-02-2007, 08:38 PM
loud is a relative term...

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 08:39 PM
have you metered it yet?

wont even waste my time at this point just to come back with a 110 @ 65hz...

undercover: why do you say that, even the 20 cubes seems to be inline with FI recommendations. would they just be too boomy, sloppy, and play nothing but 30hz tones with a rolloff after 31hz? lol. let me know, im always wanting to learn more.

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 08:41 PM
my friends explorer with all seats still in it gets pretty ****in loud with 2 15s...

I think you could get by with using all the space in the back and leaving the seats in there

no idea whats wrong with ur setup though, you could use a little more power but a kicker 2500.1 should make those things get pretty **** loud

nope. sure cant. already MAXED out. only have 1' or so to the roof, and only about 4" from the hatch. no way i can fit anything bigger without putting the rear seats down.

i really wouldnt mind gaining some rearview mirror usage as well lol.

2000xlt: exactly. and these are not that loud to me. louder than a lot of peoples systems around here but not nearly what i thought it would be.

skeptikal
09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Do it, panzy.

bk12321
09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
biggest I would go is 8 cubes per 18, and that would be pushing it IMO.

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Do it, panzy.

oh come on, be serious you testical.

"do it" because you just want to post that im a *****?

or "do it" because you seriously think i should?

bk: i see you like the 210 benz... nice vehicles no doubt.

bk12321
09-02-2007, 08:44 PM
nope. sure cant. already MAXED out. only have 1' or so to the roof, and only about 4" from the hatch. no way i can fit anything bigger without putting the rear seats down.

i really wouldnt mind gaining some rearview mirror usage as well lol.

2000xlt: exactly. and these are not that loud to me. louder than a lot of peoples systems around here but not nearly what i thought it would be.

thats what im saying, u should be fine with what u currently have, just messing around with it.

I think something is wrong or maybe ur just deaf because there is a TON of space back there to make 2 18s un-quiet

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 08:46 PM
thats what im saying, u should be fine with what u currently have, just messing around with it.

I think something is wrong or maybe ur just deaf because there is a TON of space back there to make 2 18s un-quiet

this is an explorer sport btw...

just as an example...my friends cargo space in his 4 door explorer is 8" longer in depth (and thats to his amps, not even his seats. he probably has 10" more if he moved his amps)

bk12321
09-02-2007, 08:52 PM
didnt realize that

nice marley avatar btw i almost bought the poster that looks like that for my apartment

andytb
09-02-2007, 08:52 PM
you should go for it im gonna do it. well next year im gonna do it well i want to wall behind a back seaat

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 08:57 PM
you should go for it im gonna do it. well next year im gonna do it well i want to wall behind a back seaat

you got an explorer?

if so, every single competitor that i asked about walls in an explorer said

"if you dont build the wall up to the B pillar, dont bother. you can get louder in a standard ported box in the back, then with a wall at the c pillar"

ive thought about a wall too, behind the back seats...but when serious competitors push you away from that idea, you usually listen

bk: i stole the avatar from someone on another forum. loved marley since my dad would listen to him when i was a little kid :)

TheFiverMan
09-02-2007, 08:57 PM
id do 15cf tuned to 32hz

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
id do 15cf tuned to 32hz

reasoning? personal experience?

TheFiverMan
09-02-2007, 09:00 PM
reasoning? personal experience?

LOWS..

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 09:01 PM
LOWS..

well i realize that, but i also dont want a low end monster that plays nothing but 30-35hz tones with a roll off big enough to look like the desparado roller coaster...

TheFiverMan
09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
well i realize that, but i also dont want a low end monster that plays nothing but 30-35hz tones with a roll off big enough to look like the desparado roller coaster...

:uhoh:

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
:uhoh:

hey come on...that doesnt help me :(

andytb
09-02-2007, 09:03 PM
well right now i have no car but will have explorer cheereoke blazer or something similar. im going backwards i got my two phd5000's one BL18 need 3 more my avh6500 dvd and my power wire i want to have a wall that is behind the front seats

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 09:04 PM
i dont want my roll off to look like this

http://www.world-guides.com/images/las_vegas/las_vegas_roller_desp.jpg

http://www.visi.com/~jweeks/stuff/vegas/desperado.jpg

andytb
09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
what ride is that

TheFiverMan
09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
i dont want my roll off to look like this

http://www.world-guides.com/images/las_vegas/las_vegas_roller_desp.jpg

http://www.visi.com/~jweeks/stuff/vegas/desperado.jpg

holly ****..well juss get sumbody to design u a box..:D

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 09:11 PM
what ride is that

the desperado....what? you dont read my posts? you jerk....:p:

fiverman: well i have no problems designing boxes. i do however have problems knowing exactly what subs and vehicles like what and exactly how the subs will react. its a little bit easier with a single 15 or 12 and 2-4 cube boxes...but weilding around 10-20 ft cube boxes just isnt a very economical way of accomplishing what i need lol

TheFiverMan
09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
the desperado....what? you dont read my posts? you jerk....:p:

fiverman: well i have no problems designing boxes. i do however have problems knowing exactly what subs and vehicles like what and exactly how the subs will react. its a little bit easier with a single 15 or 12 and 2-4 cube boxes...but weilding around 10-20 ft cube boxes just isnt a very economical way of accomplishing what i need lol

ok..well do this..email scott @ fi..tell him what u want outta ur subs..he will tell u what to do..:crazy:

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 09:14 PM
ok..well do this..email scott @ fi..tell him what u want outta ur subs..he will tell u what to do..:crazy:

i talked to nick before i even bought my bl's and he said 5.5 cubes would work fine with my power...but they dont, at least not to my liking :(

TheFiverMan
09-02-2007, 09:16 PM
i talked to nick before i even bought my bl's and he said 5.5 cubes would work fine with my power...but they dont, at least not to my liking :(

well then...i dunno what to tell u.. :(

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 09:16 PM
well then...i dunno what to tell u.. :(

i think im going to take option 3 of the poll.....

TheFiverMan
09-02-2007, 09:18 PM
or u could look into sum other woofers..but id try another box b4 that..

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 09:19 PM
or u could look into sum other woofers..but id try another box b4 that..
if i do that ill be getting 2 15's for sure lol

TheFiverMan
09-02-2007, 09:20 PM
if i do that ill be getting 2 15's for sure lol

isnt that what i said all along? ;):D

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 09:22 PM
isnt that what i said all along? ;):D

:blackeye::blackeye::crap::crap:

andytb
09-02-2007, 09:24 PM
hey im from cedar point ohio that the only amusement park i know

IgnoreMe
09-02-2007, 10:57 PM
anyone else?

its not that im dissatisfied with the subs. they pound...but i just think they got to have more in them.

SQBubble
09-03-2007, 01:54 AM
anyone else?

its not that im dissatisfied with the subs. they pound...but i just think they got to have more in them.

well wut kinda frequency response are you getting rite now? maybe your missing just the punch or just the lows and thats why your not liking your setup right now....

either way, wut kind of electrical you got? and what # you hitting rite now?

IamDeMan
09-03-2007, 08:37 AM
oh come on, be serious you testical.

"do it" because you just want to post that im a *****?

or "do it" because you seriously think i should?

bk: i see you like the 210 benz... nice vehicles no doubt.Do it because you have no ***** and need to compensate for the vast cavern you call your mangina.

Fattony911
09-03-2007, 11:05 AM
can we see pics of your current setup, I have 2 12"s and they rip. sq is decent too.Box can make or break any install.

IgnoreMe
09-03-2007, 03:30 PM
well wut kinda frequency response are you getting rite now? maybe your missing just the punch or just the lows and thats why your not liking your setup right now....

either way, wut kind of electrical you got? and what # you hitting rite now?

freq response isnt too bad. seems like it plays everything pretty good actually. it just seems to be lacking all around.

iamdeman: :wow:

fattony99: no numbers bro :( . but pics are here. i have tried with port facing back, and with port facing forward. seems to me like even with the tall box port facing back is a tad bit louder

box before completion

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x246/georgefromca/my1017.jpg

another shot

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x246/georgefromca/my1018.jpg

bl 18"

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x246/georgefromca/DSCN0628.jpg

inside view of the box

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x246/georgefromca/DSCN0629.jpg

and here is a video playing Trilleville: Get Some Crunk in Your System

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x246/georgefromca/th_DSCN0631.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x246/georgefromca/?action=view&current=DSCN0631.flv)

15nissen
09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
maybe your current box *****? lets see some pictures. Id assume its sub up port back?

LOL should have read all pages of post.

its all in the box. Buy aeros & resin and build something new and loud

IgnoreMe
09-03-2007, 04:45 PM
maybe your current box *****? lets see some pictures. Id assume its sub up port back?

LOL should have read all pages of post.

its all in the box. Buy aeros & resin and build something new and loud

i cant afford aeros. i would spend more money on aeros than on the wood itself lol.

delvryboy
09-03-2007, 04:53 PM
your box is too high....

IgnoreMe
09-03-2007, 04:56 PM
your box is too high....

thats one thing i was thinking about before i ever started on the box or bought the subs. i had a huge thread about it and another guy on the forums that runs an explorer said you can go up to with a foot of the roof and be alright as long as you fire the subs up and the port back. which is why i went with it.

thats also one of the many reasons i made this thread, to see if anyone else thought that same thing, and that i should put the rear seats down and build up to just under or a teeny bit above window line.

IgnoreMe
09-03-2007, 04:59 PM
ok so heres another one for you guys then

1 ) do what the original post said (big *** box and live with a 2 seater explorer)

or

2) sell the 18's and buy 15's instead and keep full use of the rear seats

dbhittin
09-03-2007, 05:10 PM
go big or go home... being loud cost money... but id say your box is too high also. ditch the back seat( but how often do u give rides?) and build a shorter box and the slot port on the side instead of the middle

dbhittin
09-03-2007, 05:16 PM
after looking at other similar set ups, i think u need around 14cubes and more power

galacticmonkey
09-03-2007, 05:28 PM
If you got the cash, ditch the subs for as much as possible and get 4 SSD 15s and run em off that Kicker 2500.

bamaboy
09-03-2007, 06:08 PM
if i want to use my rear seats, i have to push my box backwards to where i originally put it, but one day i put the seats down and pushed it a few inches back(toward the front) and it was noticeably louder

so now i just ride around with seats down

have you tried it yet to see if that will help

and box is probably too tall

delvryboy
09-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I would go with 2 15's or 4 12's and keep he back seat. It's cool at first, but than you get annoyed driving around an suv that only fits 2 people and nothing else you may need to carry.

IgnoreMe
09-03-2007, 06:59 PM
im kinda of a "what if" person.

i have probably driven around with someone in the back seat maybe 3 times in the last 2 months.

delvryboy: the 2 15's are really starting to creep in as an idea. 4 12's are definatly out of the question just because its too much money.

poundnbass: well my amp is rated @ 3kw @ 2 ohms. and im wired below that, so i dont think more power is going to do it.

bamaboy: i actually thought of doing that as well. problem is, id only be able to get probably 13 cubes max, and my box would still be tall. just to give you an example my sport compared to my friends 4 door gives me 8-10" less depth to use :(

galacticmonkey: sounds sick, however id be dropping more cash to use the 15's than the 18's i have now

TheFiverMan
09-03-2007, 07:03 PM
2 15s FTW..

tooloud4tv
09-03-2007, 11:39 PM
either go 2 15's or either change yo box man. i also had 2 18" Bl's ran off an KX 2500.1. get rid of that high *** box, if ur willing to loose the back seats go 14cubes tuned to 37hz try not to make ur box so high ur blocking sound waves. hell that might as well be an wall. actually witht that tall *** box ud be louder if u moved that box all the way to the back of the truck firing forward. but with everything u have now go 14 cubes 200+sqin of port or 4 6" aeros tuned to 36-9hz and ud be VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY happy. ud get best of both worlds with that tunning. ud slam those chopped and screwed songs, and still be able to play those SONGS that peak in the 40's-50's. like most young jezzy songs. id keep the 18's if it were me!

galacticmonkey
09-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Then Id say just keep the equipment you have now and take out the back seat. Just make your enclosure lower, and make the port about 6-8" from the hatch. Try putting the port facing back on the drivers side.

sku
09-04-2007, 02:15 AM
thats one thing i was thinking about before i ever started on the box or bought the subs. i had a huge thread about it and another guy on the forums that runs an explorer said you can go up to with a foot of the roof and be alright as long as you fire the subs up and the port back. which is why i went with it.

thats also one of the many reasons i made this thread, to see if anyone else thought that same thing, and that i should put the rear seats down and build up to just under or a teeny bit above window line.

If you think the box is too high...have you tried facing the subs back?

You might be suprised...

IgnoreMe
09-04-2007, 04:14 AM
If you think the box is too high...have you tried facing the subs back?

You might be suprised...

well that would mean my port would be up. and all the times ive tried port up, the subs have had no authority. the bass seemed "transparent" if you will. you could hear it, but you felt it less and it didnt sound as loud. :confused:

galacticmonkey: well port would have to go on the bottom of the box. if you see my pictures now the port is 7" wide and the 18's barely fit. in fact some of the gasket hangs off the edge of the box sides and i had to use a double baffle to make them fit just barley. i only have 40" in width to work with, minus 8.5" of port width (including mdf walls). which leaves me with only 31.5" of space and 16.75" cutouts dont work to well with that much space lol. aeroports would work lovely and let me do the ports wherever i please, but i am simply not willing to dump $39 for 1 percision port, when im going to need 3 or so of them.

tooloud4tv: got any pics? i am SUPER interested in your 18" bl setup bro. as for firing forward, its definatly a teeny bit quieter than firing back, but i would expect a bigger difference that what im hearing. maybe this is the proof i need that shows my sound is being blocked off?

Fattony911
09-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok, heres what i would do. Assuming you don't use your backseats THAT much, you take them out, build a new box just a little bit above the seat line still with subs up and port back. Only this time try using a couple of 6"pvc pipes instead of a slot. This way you'll be able to get more space out of the 18's. Also i may have missed it but didn't you say power wasn't really an issue, they look to be at full excursion when turned up?Any voltage drops?

Goldtaz1
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I would have never done the port that way. Should have been done like Bamaboy's box if you ask me.

Also, aero's are louder. I did see that aero's are not an option due to monetary considerations, but if you would like a sure fire way to gain a Db or 2, go with aeros. In my car, aero's were 1.6 Db louder.

tooloud4tv
09-04-2007, 01:25 PM
sorry no pics of that install, im running 4 15's now i got rid of the 2 18's, and went with more cone area. as for ur box build it CRX style subs facing up and port firing to the rear. that way u get as much port area as possible. and far as aeros it be best if u can run them, Also dont buy em make em ur self. i have an tutorial on termpro where i made my own Aero ports, if u need help just hit me up Pm me. i can show u how to make ur own aero ports. its like 9X cheaper to build them urself.

IgnoreMe
09-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Ok, heres what i would do. Assuming you don't use your backseats THAT much, you take them out, build a new box just a little bit above the seat line still with subs up and port back. Only this time try using a couple of 6"pvc pipes instead of a slot. This way you'll be able to get more space out of the 18's. Also i may have missed it but didn't you say power wasn't really an issue, they look to be at full excursion when turned up?Any voltage drops?

i dont consider power too much an issue. i know these subs can take more but im hoping to make up for it with a more efficient box. voltage drops are there, but not HUGE ones. i am actually looking into buying 2 deka intimidator g31 batts to back up my 200A alt.

goldtaz: advice and recommendations are always welcome :) . ok well lets say aeros were an option...how many do i need as compared to a standard slot port? i know you dont need as many, but i have absolutely ZERO experience with them, so im not sure how they react.

tooloud4tv: care to link me to the tutorial? i wouldnt mind taking a look at it

tooloud4tv
09-04-2007, 01:56 PM
http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/40/22313/2.html

thats the link probally didnt explain it good but for anyone with questions hit me up still. also theres some things i left out in the post so if anyone serious about doing them let me know will help as much as possible.

Fattony911
09-04-2007, 02:21 PM
I would try something like this,
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246572&highlight=kicker

or this

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6066/sx18crx2uw6.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sx18crx2uw6.jpg)
Seems to me they just need a little more breathing room in the back of your explorer.

tooloud4tv
09-04-2007, 02:35 PM
nice box. if he flared the ports the other way it be 6X easier to change the tunning if he wanted too. only thing he'd have to do is change the middle tube length to play with tunning. Gotta love aeros!

IgnoreMe
09-04-2007, 03:19 PM

or this

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6066/sx18crx2uw6.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sx18crx2uw6.jpg)
Seems to me they just need a little more breathing room in the back of your explorer.

oh man. both those boxes are looking SWEET!!!
any more pictures of that box for the 18" sx's? or maybe a thread link? if i could find some specs just to get a general idea of what kinda space were talkin about for the 18" sx's hes running it will give me something to compare to.

tooloud4tv: i see your thread. looks awesome IMO, but i see you said something about having trouble doing the 6" ports. have you figured it out yet?

goldtaz: forgot to ask...why is the port in the middle a bad idea?

tooloud4tv
09-04-2007, 03:50 PM
yea figured it out hell ive made some. at the time i had trouble with them but that thread is liek an year old now. ive figured it out and working on 12" pvc flaring

tooloud4tv
09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
another thing about those boxes with the pics posted yes the port is flared with the wood. but if u think about it those ports still wont be as effective as the regular flared ports. reason: regular flared ports have both Ends of the pvc flared. and in the method above only the outside of the tubes are flared threw the wood.

Fattony911
09-04-2007, 03:57 PM
another thing about those boxes with the pics posted yes the port is flared with the wood. but if u think about it those ports still wont be as effective as the regular flared ports. reason: regular flared ports have both Ends of the pvc flared. and in the method above only the outside of the tubes are flared threw the wood.

Yeah your right the only thing those flares do are for looks and help reduce port noise. An actual flare would be much more effective. The box for the SX's is about 10 cubes at 30hz its 20x38x34. i have some more pics on my other comp. Still I always preffered pvc over slot im not sure why, just personal prefference i guess. Although I do love a good slot port every once in a while.

delvryboy
09-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I would use at least 4 6" ports.

IgnoreMe
09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
I would use at least 4 6" ports.

"at least" im assuming means, minimum eh? what kind of a port area am i aiming for with round ports versus slot ports? for example : 12-16sq" per cubic ft for slot ports = xx-xxsq" per cubic ft for round ports

fattony: hmm, so hes using 5 cubes per? hmm, was hoping it was more than that so i could what the characteristics of that box would be on 2 18's :( but more pics are always welcome ;)

tooloud4tv: cool thanks man.

the727kid
09-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Umm give them more power? If they are fully-loaded 1250 to each sub ain't **** for them. My 12s at 2kw each got LOUD. And you said you don't have enough power for a 20.1, well then I assume you don't have enough power for that 2500.1 .

Do up your eletrical and give them more power, seems pretty obvious.

tooloud4tv
09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
listen more power would help in an small box, but he didnt say anything about adding any power anytime soon. therefore box would be more effective. and besides, his case his box design isnt that good, (not Bashing) but the **** box is way to tall. even with more power he still wouldnt be satisfied.

IgnoreMe
09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Umm give them more power? If they are fully-loaded 1250 to each sub ain't **** for them. My 12s at 2kw each got LOUD. And you said you don't have enough power for a 20.1, well then I assume you don't have enough power for that 2500.1 .

Do up your eletrical and give them more power, seems pretty obvious.

they're not fully loaded bro. they only have the cooling option (the limiter is the suspension of the BL's as they are even stiffer than the MT's). the amp is a kx2500.1 with a birthsheet rated 2960w @ 2 ohms, being ran @ 1 ohm so the subs are getting 1500w+. just as a comparison i saw a birthsheet of an RF T30001bd put out 2840@ 2 ohms and 3758 @ 1 ohm. doesnt seem like a stretch that this kx has the capability to put out lots of power for the subs if it putting out even more @ 2 ohms than the RF did (which is being ran on 2 18" mt's).

also, the 20.1 is a lot more inefficient than the kx IME. even with a better electrical (i am getting 2 g31 deka intimidators very soon to go with the 200A alt i have) your looking at a marginal increase in power from an amp that sees 12V to giving it 14V. the only real advantage with stable voltage (for a non competitor that isnt looking for every .2db he can find) is you get more of an increase in electrical security if you will, to keep from sending too little voltage and too much amperage through a component thats not meant to handle the heat. the power gain will hardly make a difference in audible spl. i dont see a reason to dump more money into an amp that is marginally more powerful, when i can just make a more efficient box and aim for as low of an impedance rise as possible (the rise being the problem as you cant readily predict it).

i see what your saying 727kid, but i dont think power will be the issue if i design my next box around efficiency. the point of this thread was basically to get a response from people with direct experience with smaller boxes/more power, and bigger boxes/less power

tooloud4tv: no offense taken. when we first put the box into the back of the explorer, both me and my friend were like "uhhh, **** man. i dont know about this" . i actually said this in one of my threads after completing my box. i think it was something along the lines of "buyers remorse is starting to settle in quite nicely now" (in reference to buying 2 18's and trying to get them to fit in the explorer sport lol)

Goldtaz1
09-04-2007, 08:02 PM
goldtaz: advice and recommendations are always welcome :) . ok well lets say aeros were an option...how many do i need as compared to a standard slot port? i know you dont need as many, but i have absolutely ZERO experience with them, so im not sure how they react.

I would do at least (4) 6" aeros with the amount of cone you have. If you do the slot port again, I would recommend something like this.

http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/1/4/4/2/8/BoxLayout.bmp

IgnoreMe
09-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I would do at least (4) 6" aeros with the amount of cone you have. If you do the slot port again, I would recommend something like this.

http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/1/4/4/2/8/BoxLayout.bmp

we did my friends box (as well as 1 of my old 2 15" sx box) the same way except the port was all the way across the bottom of the box. why exactly is it better than the port i have now?

Goldtaz1
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
goldtaz: forgot to ask...why is the port in the middle a bad idea?

In my experience the box I mentioned above is simply louder. As to a theoretical reason it is louder, I do not claim to know the answer (maybe someone a little smarter will chime in). If I just simply were to guess, it would have something to do with directional air flow and the fact that your box is basically 2 chambered having some form or fashion of cancellation. Just my $.02.

IgnoreMe
09-04-2007, 08:09 PM
In my experience the box I mentioned above is simply louder. As to a theoretical reason it is louder, I do not claim to know the answer (maybe someone a little smarter will chime in). If I just simply were to guess, it would have something to do with directional air flow and the fact that your box is basically 2 chambered having some form or fashion of cancellation. Just my $.02.

ahh ok. i appreciate you taking the time to answer

edit: ****! i didnt notice that going from 2 18's to 2 15's would loose me almost a whole 15 worth of cone area :(

IgnoreMe
09-04-2007, 11:07 PM
oh wow....4k posts....this is embarrassing

i think ill celebrate with some spankwire

tooloud4tv
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
ahh ok. i appreciate you taking the time to answer

edit: ****! i didnt notice that going from 2 18's to 2 15's would loose me almost a whole 15 worth of cone area :(

yea george but cone area means **** if u cant have the proper box lol. i went with more cone area but also i have the proper box space. hell actually im @ 18.37 cubes After Displacement. so around 4.5 cubes per 15. im about to start my build camp so i will have plenty of pics so feel free to chime in an steal some ideas.

IgnoreMe
09-05-2007, 10:20 AM
yea george but cone area means **** if u cant have the proper box lol. i went with more cone area but also i have the proper box space. hell actually im @ 18.37 cubes After Displacement. so around 4.5 cubes per 15. im about to start my build camp so i will have plenty of pics so feel free to chime in an steal some ideas.
most definatly. reason for my last post was because i was rethinking for the 1000th time of whether i want to give up my back seat. and i started thinking:

1) give up the back seat for that theoretical "1.5db" increase with the 18's

or

2) just sell the 18's get the 15's and keep the back seat even though your loosing out on cone area.

i can make a proper box for the 15's with the seats up and 18's with the seats down. only reason IMO that this one came out like **** was due to me trying so hard to keep the back seats up.

let me know when your going to build, i would love to see some pictures!

Andrew12
09-05-2007, 10:37 AM
so youre talking about changing from the 18" BL's to 15" BLs?

sku
09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Why all this churn...it's pretty simple...

Build the box you want and think will work best for the 18s. If you still don't like it or it's still not loud enough you can:

1) Just take it out. A box is not a permanent thing.

2) or you can try adding more power to it.

3) if you are still not satisfied go with the 15s approach

So to recap...you've tried both options here...and have really only spent the time and money to build another box...

My personal choice would be to try option 0. Face the subs back...I know you said you don't like the sound but actually my impression of subs back is totally opposite of yours...you can actually feel it more and hear it more...

With this option you've spent 0 dollars...and can still go back to your current setup.l

Just play with spacing from the rear hatch...

Andrew12
09-05-2007, 11:32 AM
^^^ I enjoy that setup as well for a daily driver

IamDeMan
09-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I say go to a 10" Q in a T-Line with about 1000RMS.

TheFiverMan
09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I say go to a 10" Q in a T-Line with about 1000RMS.

dont think the Q would like that...

IamDeMan
09-06-2007, 01:38 PM
dont think the Q would like that...Good thing I was being sarcastic then, since I don't think George would like it either. :D

IgnoreMe
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Good thing I was being sarcastic then, since I don't think George would like it either. :D

lol

SeanDub
09-06-2007, 03:24 PM
If you can get 16-20 cubes with the backseat out, why not go with 3 18s?

tommyk90
09-06-2007, 03:28 PM
they're not fully loaded bro. they only have the cooling option (the limiter is the suspension of the BL's as they are even stiffer than the MT's). the amp is a kx2500.1 with a birthsheet rated 2960w @ 2 ohms, being ran @ 1 ohm so the subs are getting 1500w+. just as a comparison i saw a birthsheet of an RF T30001bd put out 2840@ 2 ohms and 3758 @ 1 ohm. doesnt seem like a stretch that this kx has the capability to put out lots of power for the subs if it putting out even more @ 2 ohms than the RF did (which is being ran on 2 18" mt's).

I love how people always just assume they are getting more than rated power because they are running their amp at a lower ohm load.

Get with the program people.

NhustlaR
09-06-2007, 03:32 PM
new box. try to do a more square port

IgnoreMe
09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
I love how people always just assume they are getting more than rated power because they are running their amp at a lower ohm load.

Get with the program people.

not like it matters what i assume. with box rise im well over 3 ohms at my lowest point anywho.

i have my gains set to "give" the birthsheet rating (2.9kw @ 2 ohms), i was just saying that i hardly believe the reason for this issue is underpowering the subs and gave what i would consider a fair example of why.

my kx's birthsheet says 2.9kw and in most cases its safe to assume a lower load will result in more power, because in general it will bring the rise down as well. if im @ 2 ohm and rise to 4 ohms...its somewhat safe to assume that being wired down to 1 ohm will give me a final load of under 4 ohms, which would mean more power. no one said since i was wired down lower i was seeing 4kw

tommyk90
09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
not like it matters what i assume. with box rise im well over 3 ohms at my lowest point anywho.

i have my gains set to "give" the birthsheet rating (2.9kw @ 2 ohms), i was just saying that i hardly believe the reason for this issue is underpowering the subs and gave what i would consider a fair example of why.

my kx's birthsheet says 2.9kw and in most cases its safe to assume a lower load will result in more power, because in general it will bring the rise down as well. if im @ 2 ohm and rise to 4 ohms...its somewhat safe to assume that being wired down to 1 ohm will give me a final load of under 4 ohms, which would mean more power.

More power, sure. More than rated? Probably not.

And I also agree that the current box is too tall. 2 15's would be the better option IMO.

Lakota
09-06-2007, 04:07 PM
2 15's, imo. More cone area doesn't always mean better.

IgnoreMe
09-06-2007, 04:52 PM
More power, sure. More than rated? Probably not.

And I also agree that the current box is too tall. 2 15's would be the better option IMO.

i really wish people would of told me that earlier :(

i knew it was going to be tall but it seems i got some bad info in my last thread which resulted in me figuring it would be ok.

oh well. anyone want to buy some 18's?

AudioAnonymous
09-07-2007, 10:10 AM

or this

That's the box I would build but with a slot port where aeroports are but with dividers in it to give the port and bottom of the box some strength.