PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse AVN 5500 Q's?

Qbenjamin
09-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I installed this H/U yesterday in place of my Avic-D3. For starters, I am not impressed with it at all. The staging settings are awful. Each and every one of them make it sound like you are sitting in the rear of a concert hall, with bad echoes. The Navigation map looks like a video game. There is no night time illumination. You can't see anything on it at night as far as buttons go, you have to keep turning on your dome lamp. For some reason the voice navigation comes in extremely low. I am going to have to go back and check my wiring, but I can't hear what she is saying for directions. I was informed about this before I bought it, but there is no Telephone search.

It does have a couple things that I like much better than any of my former Pioneer units though. First off, the Navigation is accurate. On my D3, I tried to go to a few government buildings and it was always terribly inaccurate. You can have a wide assortment of POI's to automatically show up on your screen ie: Mcdonald's; Burger King; post office; bank; etc..

Does anyone else have this unit? Does it not drive you crazy at night trying to press a button?

Edit: There is night time illumination, mines just isn't functioning properly.

6spdcoupe
09-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Illumination wire is not connected. Once connected all of your buttons will light up and screen will go to 'night mode'. Bad install doesnt = bad product. ;)

Qbenjamin
09-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Illumination wire is not connected. Once connected all of your buttons will light up and screen will go to 'night mode'. Bad install doesnt = bad product. ;)

I had the illumination hooked up to the right wire, but it only comes on when I manually turn on my lights. I still am not able to get it to play MP3's. Seller suggested that I put the MP3 in the DVD slot. I told him, according to Eclipse, that's not where it's supposed to go. As soon as I get my car back, I will have to try it out.

WantedIsHere
09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
if its that much of a problem find a constant for the illumination.... sounds like a bad install tho... as far as no phone number search, it wasnt ever advertised for that unit

6spdcoupe
09-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I had the illumination hooked up to the right wire, but it only comes on when I manually turn on my lights. I still am not able to get it to play MP3's. Seller suggested that I put the MP3 in the DVD slot. I told him, according to Eclipse, that's not where it's supposed to go. As soon as I get my car back, I will have to try it out.

I dont understand then .. you dont use your lights at night? If they come on with the lights then its wired and working correctly. I dont follow what you are trying to achieve. If you just want the buttons lit up always just wire the parking lights to an ign source, but I dont see the point..

If theres a problem with it playing anything take it back to the dealer. It still falls under the rapid exchange and will be expedited replacement.

Qbenjamin
09-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I dont understand then .. you dont use your lights at night? If they come on with the lights then its wired and working correctly. I dont follow what you are trying to achieve. If you just want the buttons lit up always just wire the parking lights to an ign source, but I dont see the point..

If theres a problem with it playing anything take it back to the dealer. It still falls under the rapid exchange and will be expedited replacement.

My lights are on all the time, via daytime running lamps. The illumination will only come on if I pull the knob back to turn on my headlights. My D3's illumination only came on when the actual interior gauge lights came on. I still have to send the unit back since it doesn't play MP3's.

Qbenjamin
09-04-2007, 07:40 PM
if its that much of a problem find a constant for the illumination.... sounds like a bad install tho... as far as no phone number search, it wasnt ever advertised for that unit

I have installed many H/U's before, so please spare me with the bad install crap. Also, I see that you didn't read that I acknowledged the fact that it didn't have a telephone search prior to me receiving it. I understand that I could have mis-installed it, but I have gone through the wiring twice, and still no go on the correction of the illumination or the MP3 discs. I even went to CC and bought an original MP3 disc, just to make sure that it wasn't just the disc I was using. Even while using that disc, the unit still freezes up with any type of MP3 disc in it. I will wait for my new one to come, and when I wire it up, I will see if it's my error or not. I have no problem admitting that I am wrong.

6spdcoupe
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
My lights are on all the time, via daytime running lamps. The illumination will only come on if I pull the knob back to turn on my headlights. My D3's illumination only came on when the actual interior gauge lights came on. I still have to send the unit back since it doesn't play MP3's.

Only with gauge lights is how the AVN should be as well. Which wire did you use exactly? You could also tap into the DRLs if you want full illumination all the time.

Did you not make the purchase from a dealer? If so you houldnt be without the unit at all. Thats where rapid exchange comes in ... new unit goes in your car the same time the bad one is removed.

Qbenjamin
09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Only with gauge lights is how the AVN should be as well. Which wire did you use exactly? You could also tap into the DRLs if you want full illumination all the time.

Did you not make the purchase from a dealer? If so you houldnt be without the unit at all. Thats where rapid exchange comes in ... new unit goes in your car the same time the bad one is removed.

Yup, I bought it from a dealer, but he is temporarily out of the 5500's. Kinda suks, as he say's that it will be another two weeks before he get's some new one's in.

6spdcoupe
09-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Yup, I bought it from a dealer, but he is temporarily out of the 5500's. Kinda suks, as he say's that it will be another two weeks before he get's some new one's in.

Thats fine, but he shouldnt have to wait that long. Tell him to go to the B2B site and submit for a rapid exchange. It should arrive within a few days and you wont go a day without a HU. Eclipses rapid exchange program doesnt affect dealers stock. ;)

Qbenjamin
09-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Thats fine, but he shouldnt have to wait that long. Tell him to go to the B2B site and submit for a rapid exchange. It should arrive within a few days and you wont go a day without a HU. Eclipses rapid exchange program doesnt affect dealers stock. ;)

I don't think he know's about that, as he claims to never have had an Eclipse navigation unit come defective straight from the manufacturer. I don't know if that's true or not, but nonetheless, I always have my stock unit ready to go back in.

6spdcoupe
09-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Just let him know and if theres any questions feel free to ask.

No need for OEM, quick replacement and no changing things up is always a good thing.

Qbenjamin
09-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Just let him know and if theres any questions feel free to ask.

No need for OEM, quick replacement and no changing things up is always a good thing.

I already put the stock unit back in, and they have my old unit.

6spdcoupe
09-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Oh