PDA

View Full Version : Germaniums and Biamping...??? Help! **pic**

Damaso87
09-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I recently started installing these as you can see from my project log in General Chat, but now im effing stuck! Im getting mixed directions as to how i should wire the crossover. This is what i THINK it should be. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3540/germaniumcrossovermaybevl7.jpg

Considering the right channel:
I have it bridged at the amp, with one wire coming up to the crossover. No idea whats happening at the input of the crossover, this is what i was told to do. Does somebody care to explain?

Gary S
09-01-2007, 02:40 PM
The outputs (red and black lines) from the crossover to the drivers is correct.

Tweeter amp, right channel... positive goes to TW+, negative goes to TW-

Woofer amp, right channel ... positive goes to W+, negative goes to W-

Do the same for the left channels of the amp(s)

Damaso87
09-01-2007, 02:43 PM
The only issue with that, Gary, is that I have a 5 channel amp...lemme snap another picture, gimme a minute

Damaso87
09-01-2007, 02:56 PM
here we are:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7421/ampwiringgd8.jpg

Gary S
09-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Okay... so, a five-channel amp means you have channels A, B, C, D, (satellite channels) and subwoofer, correct?

You have one pair germainium rainbow speakers and one or more subs, correct?

I would bridge the four satellite channels down to two and just run two wires to each crossover, and wire tw+ and w+ to positive and tw- and w- to negative on one bridged channel of the amp.

do it one more time for the other crossover on the remaining bridged channel.

If the passive crossovers have a switch or jumpers for switching biamp, you might need to see the instructions or get help from someone else here who is familiar with that crossover.

CrazedCat
09-01-2007, 03:06 PM
The correct bi-amping diagram is on page 13 of the English section of the Germanium's manual, although it shows only a 2-channel amplifier but the concept is there.

You need to wire 2 channels to each crossover: Tw+ and Tw- wired from 1 channel, W+ and W- wired from another channel.

Then do the same wiring to the other crossover for the third and fourth channels.

Gary S
09-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Okay, just saw your second picture.

Now run a second red wire from same place on amp to TW+

Run second yellow wire to W-

Do the same thing for the rear amp channel to the second crossover.

Damaso87
09-01-2007, 03:09 PM
I would bridge the four satellite channels down to two and just run two wires to each crossover, and wire tw+ and w+ to positive and tw- and w- to negative on one bridged channel of the amp.

do it one more time for the other crossover on the remaining bridged channel.

If the passive crossovers have a switch or jumpers for switching biamp, you might need to see the instructions or get help from someone else here who is familiar with that crossover.

Thats what randyrsx told me to do, and thats how he had it wired up. But now, how would I bridge the four sat channels down to two? Just splice the wires together?

Unfortunately i got the germs used (doesnt it always happen that way? hah. bad pun) and they came with no manual. lemme whip up a new picture to see if ive got this right

Damaso87
09-01-2007, 03:14 PM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9858/ampwiring2qh7.jpg

whats the difference between THIS and biamping? Other than 230wx2 @ 2 ohms (this picture) and 70wx4@4 ohms

Gary S
09-01-2007, 03:15 PM
yes, lets see the new picture.

Gary S
09-01-2007, 03:20 PM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9858/ampwiring2qh7.jpg

whats the difference between THIS and biamping?

- This picture is correct.

What you are doing is biwiring.

Biamping would be each driver having it's own amp channel. 4 - drivers, four channels. No passive crossover, only the crossover in the amp, or outboard/separate electronic crossover. You would need a crossover that goes high into tweter teritory to do it (2,000 - 5,000 hz.)

Damaso87
09-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Woohoo! i can finally finish this install! Thanks a ton Gary, Cat!

CrazedCat
09-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Are you using only the front pre-outs of your h/u to the amp?

Damaso87
09-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Nope, ive go the front and rear running both to the amp, as well as a mono sub cable.

CrazedCat
09-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Nope, ive go the front and rear running both to the amp, as well as a mono sub cable.

So you're running a set of rear speakers and the Germs up front?

Damaso87
09-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Erm...no. If i didnt run a set of RCA's from my rear preout, how could i power my left channel? im bridging! Please tell me im not doing this wrong... :(

Im bridging the front and using it as my right channel, and bridging the rear and using it as my left channel. Correct?

randyrsx
09-02-2007, 04:43 PM
That is correct bucko. Now just buy some Y-splitters and you're set for the RCAs