PDA

View Full Version : Need a box built. For reals. I have monies.

Jameseypoo
08-30-2007, 10:11 PM
I need a box built. It's going to be for a 1993 F150 and I'm having difficulty trying to build one without tools.. lol. I really just don't have time or space at school. Here is a very rough sketch of what I would like it to look like. Carpet is not necessary. If you can find better dimensions somewhere of somebody that had a box put in their old f150 that would be great, but I just went out there with a tape measure and did what I could. let me know if you would be interested and a price. i already pm'd bjfish and i'm also waiting on a response for that. thanks!!11111111

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/jameseypoo/f150sketch.jpg?t=1188512078

btdickey99
08-30-2007, 10:33 PM
You failed to mention the subs you plan to use...... so hard for anyone to offer a better design....

And please dont spell like a 2 year old

Jameseypoo
08-30-2007, 11:00 PM
You failed to mention the subs you plan to use...... so hard for anyone to offer a better design....

And please dont spell like a 2 year old

It shouldn't matter, but I'm using re8's. I gave the dimensions I needed and the sub cutout size.

Also, there isn't one misspelled word in my original post, so what the hell are you talking about?

Jameseypoo
08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Ooooooh, I misspelled monies and reals. Sorry..

Mitch86
08-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Ooooooh, I misspelled monies and reals. Sorry..

Monies is a word :fyi:

bjfish11
08-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Finally got your PM sent back. Sorry for the delay.

IamDeMan
08-31-2007, 07:32 AM

And please dont spell like a 2 year oldHow does the corn cob feel?

iamamp3pimp
08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
im willing to help ya out on this one...

Mr Cabinetry
08-31-2007, 12:15 PM
It shouldn't matter, but I'm using re8's. I gave the dimensions I needed and the sub cutout size.

Also, there isn't one misspelled word in my original post, so what the hell are you talking about?

The subwoofer does matter because given the dimensions of the enclosure for the subwoofers your using you didn't even think for one moment if the subwoofer's would or wouldn't fit mounting depth wise.

If you actually gave it a thought at all, you would have discovered that the motor/magnet would come into contact with the interior back of the enclosure, ergo, the subwoofer will not mount to the front baffle regardless of how low you dropped the subwoofer on the front.

So, this means that you or whomever would have to remove material from the interior back of the enclosure in order to the sub to have mounting depth clearance.

OR

Increase the bottom depth or increase the top depth of the enclosure so you have mounting depth clearance.

I'm sure BJ has already informed you about the issue.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

Jameseypoo
08-31-2007, 02:18 PM
The mounting depth of an re8 is only 4" and I have a depth of 6" at the bottom of the box. Are you saying it still wouldn't work? Not being a smart ***, just asking.

Mr Cabinetry
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
The mounting depth of an re8 is only 4" and I have a depth of 6" at the bottom of the box. Are you saying it still wouldn't work? Not being a smart ***, just asking.

Yes, if the enclosure as designed is used with 18" H with a top depth of 2" and bottom depth of 6", there's no way the mounting depth of that subwoofer is going to fit unless following things are done.

Remove material at the point the subwoofer magnet will come into contact with the interior back of the enclosure to gain clearance.

Increase the top depth to gain the clearance

Increase the bottom depth to gain the clearance

Increase both the top & bottom depths equally to gain the clearance.

If the subwoofer were mounted as low as possible on the front, you would still have to do one of the things as noted above.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

iamamp3pimp
08-31-2007, 08:05 PM
you only have 4.5 inches at its deepest point...te very bottom.

2-3 inches up and the sub magnet is hitting the back wall

when someone that knows what they are talking about tells you something, then perhaps you should listen a little

:)

bjfish11
08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Well really, you will have 4.5" internal depth, but 5.25" mounting depth at the deepest part. Correct? Its Friday... lol

Mr Cabinetry
08-31-2007, 09:26 PM
OK, since there's seems to be doubters to this, here ya go:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/Jameseypoo.jpg

There's two design details here at are done to exact scale with SketchUp.

The dimensions are noted for the enclosure using 3/4" MDF and the RE 8 subwoofer info taken directly from RE's website as to the physical dimensions for that subwoofer.

As both clearly show where the sub is mounted in baffle, it's plain as day that the top part of the magnet is beyond the interior back of the enclosure, therefore the d@mn subwoofer doesn't have the mounting depth needed.

Now, if anyone thinks I'm wrong.... serve it up, prove me wrong.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

Jameseypoo
09-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Wow, people are getting a little heated. I never doubted, just said that I needed an explanation because I didn't fully understand it. Now I do (and I do appreciate the sketchup Mr Cab). I'll go back out in the morning and see what my absolute maximum dimensions are. If I were to increase the height and depth by an inch (19, 3 and 6), do you think that would work? Thank you in advance.

CrazedCat
09-01-2007, 01:10 AM
I know bjfisher does good work but Phil built an enclosure for my XXX a few years back. All 1" MDF. I can tell you his craftsmanship is second to none.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/628000-628999/628381_77_full.jpg

Mr Cabinetry
09-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Wow, people are getting a little heated. I never doubted, just said that I needed an explanation because I didn't fully understand it. Now I do (and I do appreciate the sketchup Mr Cab). I'll go back out in the morning and see what my absolute maximum dimensions are. If I were to increase the height and depth by an inch (19, 3 and 6), do you think that would work? Thank you in advance.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/Jameseypoov1.jpg

As shown, height 19 / Top Depth 3".

The subwoofer cutout center needs to be 4 3/4" from bottom of enclosure.

This will provide for enough mounting depth with a clearance of 3/16" from the magnet to the interior back.

BJ, while you may think that given the deepest part would allow for mounting depth, you failed to account for loss of depth to height at the shallow point of the subwoofer's mounting depth given the angle of the front baffle.

bjfish11
09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/Jameseypoov1.jpg

As shown, height 19 / Top Depth 3".

The subwoofer cutout center needs to be 4 3/4" from bottom of enclosure.

This will provide for enough mounting depth with a clearance of 3/16" from the magnet to the interior back.

BJ, while you may think that given the deepest part would allow for mounting depth, you failed to account for loss of depth to height at the shallow point of the subwoofer's mounting depth given the angle of the front baffle.
Yea I wasnt trying to guarantee it would work. Hell Im not a designer by any meams. I just saw a couple people tossing around 4.5" max depth. Thats why I leave the designing to the big dogs :D

Mr Cabinetry
09-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Yea I wasnt trying to guarantee it would work. Hell Im not a designer by any meams. I just saw a couple people tossing around 4.5" max depth. Thats why I leave the designing to the big dogs :D

BJ,

Well, when working with such " tight " design constraints, ya pretty much have to " guarantee " what your designing for the application is going to work/fit without question and if there are issue's/problem's with a given design, there's no room for second guessing.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

Jameseypoo
09-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Just measured, looks like I can do a bottom depth of 7", to depth of 2.125", and a height of 19". I'm guessing this will work? I really need to learn how to use sketchup...

bjfish11
09-01-2007, 11:51 AM
BJ,

Well, when working with such " tight " design constraints, ya pretty much have to " guarantee " what your designing for the application is going to work/fit without question and if there are issue's/problem's with a given design, there's no room for second guessing.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

The thing is though, I wouldnt have built this, without getting a design done first. I wasnt planning on just going out and building to his dimensions. I understand it was going to be very close either way, which you proved, but I honestly thought it was going to work. But again, I wasnt going to build without getting confirmation from someone who can draw stuff up like this. I dont design, im a builder. I leave the designing to the people that can draw stuff up like this. That is all im saying.

sue bee
09-01-2007, 11:58 AM
BJ,

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry
I never knew box building was so intense.

Mr Cabinetry
09-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Enclosure design is not that " intense ", well, maybe it is from the perspective of the person doing the designing given what the design entails for the enclosure to fit per the area vs what the requirements/specifications are for what the customer wants.

There are those times when you just can't fit 5 lbs into a 1 lb bag, although with enough creativity I have surprised myself on a few occasions after I looked at the dimensions to work with vs re-designing an enclosure over and over to find what will work vs what can't work in the design.

Sometimes, you have to think " outside the box ", no pun intended.;)

CJL
09-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Maybe try 1/2" MDF and reinforce it with fiberglass to make it stronger?

CJL
09-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Or a spacer for the sub?

Jameseypoo
09-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Or possibly just the back panel made out of 1/2" mdf?

Jameseypoo
09-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Or a spacer for the sub?

Not sure if this would work, I have a feeling the sub may be hitting my seats as is

WhoSayWho?
09-01-2007, 12:56 PM
James, I hate you for even needing a box. I also hate you for not knowing the answers to your own questions.

Look at all the animosity that you have brought to an otherwise peaceful forum.

Jameseypoo
09-01-2007, 01:01 PM
James, I hate you for even needing a box. I also hate you for not knowing the answers to your own questions.

Look at all the animosity that you have brought to an otherwise peaceful forum.

Tis true. I've just never had to try and design a box for such a constricted space. I did design and build these boxes, but they were cake.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/jameseypoo/n32301172_30099876_1565.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/jameseypoo/w6v2.jpg

WhoSayWho?
09-01-2007, 01:10 PM
You are back in school. You should be more focused on boxes of another type anyway.

Mr Cabinetry
09-01-2007, 01:54 PM
There are many options that could/can be applied to work around the design constraints of enclosure without effecting the overall established dimensions of the enclosure.

Yes, the back of the enclosure can be done with 1/2" MDF and make the cutout for the subwoofer so the cutout lands right at the interior bottom edge. This would provide the needed clearance mounting depth wise.

Account for the additional volume this would create and add in some bracing and your suzie cream cheese.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

iamamp3pimp
09-01-2007, 05:36 PM
its not intenst at all, but the customer will be if you build him sonething that he cant even use,,,

bjfish11
09-02-2007, 09:23 PM
I was going to say, this isnt intense at all. Its not like there was really a debate. Phil proved it wouldnt fit, end of story, lol.

BobbyDD
09-02-2007, 11:14 PM

I know Phil "Mr Cabinetry" spent a lot of time talking to me about my sub enclosure before I ever even agreed to have him build it. He's a perfectionist and it really shows up in his work and customer service.

bjfish11
09-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Here is how this turned out....

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/bjfish11/james.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/bjfish11/JamesMendenhall001.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/bjfish11/JamesMendenhall002.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/bjfish11/JamesMendenhall003.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/bjfish11/JamesMendenhall004.jpg

And yes, in case your wondering, the fronts and back panels are 1/2" Trupan UltraLight and the rest of the enclosure is 3/4" Trupan Light. ;)

RipDaJacka
09-19-2007, 01:16 AM
that is such a **** and simple box.. I have one question tho... Why are the sides recessed? Just curious

mlstrass
09-19-2007, 01:21 AM
BJ will answer but I'm guessing it's to make it easier to carpet...

bjfish11
09-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I always recess my sides for ease of carpeting. This one will no be getting carpet, but Chris didnt know that when he designed it. And to keep the internals the same, I went ahead and recessed them anyway. Plus I think it looks nicer.