PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 6.5 Comps for low powered amp

cdf294
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Hello everyone.

I need some suggestions for a 6.5 comp set that would be good for a fairly low powered amp. I may decide to push more power eventually but wish to make due with the amp(s) that I already have available.
I wish to stay in the $250-$300 range if possible.

The amps that I can use are:
Mmats SQ4070- 70wpc and I also have a pair of the PPI PC2200 amps 50wpc but I could mono the PPI's for 100wpc.
Obviously, I don't care about SPL (been there,done that) but would like something with SQ and has solid midbass that will run well with 70-100 wpc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

tbasile1
08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
How much do you want to spend on components?

cdf294
08-29-2007, 10:27 AM
How much do you want to spend on components?

Thanks for the response.
I mentioned that I wish to stay in the $250-300 range.

tbasile1
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Hahaha sorry about that, looks like I cant ready today

I know the Focal Polyglass 165v1s will like that power and sound great on them!! But Focals have metal tweets, and many dont like them because they sound harsh

Also out there is the Rainbow SLC265 comps, another great choice and great sounding components!!

EDIT: Check out the Pioneer TS-C720PRS another great comp set!!

Try and listen to any of these or any comp sets at a local shop

bikinpunk
08-29-2007, 10:48 AM
I'll x2 on the Rainbows. Best comps I've used for the price range. Even better than many higher priced comp sets.

PremierAudio
08-29-2007, 11:45 AM
All that were listed are very efficient speakers, so they will do just fine on the power you are supplying. The PPi and Mmats are solid amps also, and both will do rated power, so it comes down to a listening prefference. Everyone wants good midbass. How do you like your highs, bright and in your face, natural, smooth and laidback? Same goes for midrange.

cdf294
08-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone- it is most appreciated.

How do you like your highs, bright and in your face, natural, smooth and laidback? Same goes for midrange.

I guess I should have known this would be asked-LOL.
I definitely prefer a more natural presentation.
Heard some Focals and felt they are way too bright for me so I would say aluminum/Ti tweets are a no-go.

cdf294
08-29-2007, 12:20 PM
I am also considering the Rainbow Germs although I know they aren't in my price range comfort zone.
Do I have enough wattage to drive these acceptably or will I be too underpowered?

Gary S
08-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Precision Power 356cs

kross
08-29-2007, 04:34 PM
I am also considering the Rainbow Germs although I know they aren't in my price range comfort zone.
Do I have enough wattage to drive these acceptably or will I be too underpowered?

I have a set of Germs, and I'm giving them 175w per side, and even with that, they don't get terribly loud (they're mounted in the doors, deadened and sealed). I really think 70-100 watts won't be enough for them.

cdf294
08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I have a set of Germs, and I'm giving them 175w per side, and even with that, they don't get terribly loud (they're mounted in the doors, deadened and sealed). I really think 70-100 watts won't be enough for them.

kross- Thanks for the heads-up.
I don't want to purchase speakers only to find out that I can't drive them.

cdf294
08-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.

I have decided to go ahead and pull the ripcord on a set of Rainbow Germaniums.
I will try running the PPI's in mono and see what happens.
If the PPI's just won't drive them well enough, I will just have to buy another amp and I just hate it when that happens. ;)

Kross mentioned that at 175wpc, his Germs didn't get "terribly loud". It will be interesting to see if mine will be loud enough.
I am not looking for high volume as much as SQ so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Oops- I just realized after re-reading my PPI manual that I will be pushing 200 watts into a 4 ohm load running mono.
I shouldn't have any volume issues after all.

Thanks again everyone for helping the new guy out.

kross
08-30-2007, 10:11 PM
At 200w per side, the Germs do get pretty loud! You should be happy, especially since you mentioned you care more about SQ than pure loudness.