PDA

View Full Version : Filler for fiberglass enclosure?

ace_800
08-28-2007, 01:56 PM
How my fiberglass enclosure is built its kind of impossible to make the carpet look good without having a lot of cuts in it. I have seen a few shows that put a filler or spackle over the fiberglass then paint it. What are they using? I'd rather do this and paint it than look at using carpet.

Thanks

bumpin buick
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
tiger hair and bondo then primer and paint

ace_800
08-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Get it a HD or Lowes?

xtremekustomz
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Depending on what kind of paint you are wanting to use. If you want a slick glossy finish you are going to have to use a body filler (I prefer Rage Gold) and sand it down with 80 to knock down the high spots then block it out with 180. After that a few good coats of primer and sand that down with 400. Wipe clean and you should be ready to sparay. Pretty much everything is the same for the texture coat except it won't show as many flaws and you can use probably a 120 for final sanding. Plan on doing ALOT of sanding though. Prep work is what makes a paintjob.

xtremekustomz
Also....SEM makes the texture coat I am talking about.

bumpin buick
oh yeah and alot of sanding. I like to use a orbital sander, atleast on cars.

bumpin buick
08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Bondo (body filler) can be bought at walmart or car stores i would think lowes and home depot also. Are you trying to get it like show quality fiberglass?

xtremekustomz
08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
I use a grinder on the actual fiberglass part to get the texture down before filler is added but everything else is done by hand.

xtremekustomz
08-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Bondo (body filler) can be bought at walmart or car stores i would think lowes and home depot also. Are you trying to get it like show quality fiberglass?

Yes...but do yourself a favor and buy some Evercoat Rage Gold....

ace_800
08-28-2007, 02:06 PM

No, I would like a decent look but not show q. Just something that looks better than the **** I have covering it now. :hide:

bumpin buick
08-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Yes...but do yourself a favor and buy some Evercoat Rage Gold....

I was just thinking for low budget, it sounds like a learning experince nothing will be perfect the first time. Either way its going to take a lot of hard hours of sanding to get this thing like glass, just so you know before you start.

ace_800
08-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Doesn't really need to look like glass. Paint doesn't even need to be glossy. If I can get a match to my interior, which isn't glossy, I'd be happy.

So SBS,
Sand down fiberglass
Apply Evercoat, sand with 80, then 180
few coats of primer, then 400
final paint coats.

Do I need to do all that if I'm not looking for a glass look?

xtremekustomz
08-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I was just thinking for low budget, it sounds like a learning experince nothing will be perfect the first time. Either way its going to take a lot of hard hours of sanding to get this thing like glass, just so you know before you start.

Yeah.....I've probably got 15+ hours of sanding on my dash. Honestly though....I feel that if you aren't going to do it right you shouldn't waste the time to start with. I mean...technically anyone can fiberglass. It all comes down to who is going to properly finish it if it is going to be painted you know?

xtremekustomz
08-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Doesn't really need to look like glass. Paint doesn't even need to be glossy. If I can get a match to my interior, which isn't glossy, I'd be happy.

So SBS,
Sand down fiberglass
Apply Evercoat, sand with 80, then 180
few coats of primer, then 400
final paint coats.

Do I need to do all that if I'm not looking for a glass look?

If you want a texture on it you can buy the SEM coat I mentioned and then buy a few cans of SEM that match your interior. It looks pretty close to the same texture. If you do that you won't need to sand with 400 after you prime because it is going to be a thick paint. I'd try something like a 180 or 220 and test a few spots just to make sure the texture is covering up the scratches. If it does....you are good to go.

ace_800
08-28-2007, 02:19 PM
I see where I can get evercoat, where can I get SEM?

xtremekustomz
08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
You can usually get SEM coat from Carquest. Other than that I don't know. May just need to go to their website and search for retailers.

AK SloPok
08-28-2007, 02:42 PM
If you don't want super smooth why paint at all? Get yourself some decent carpet (not home stuff) you want something without backing. It stretches very nice, you can get all kinds of compound curves with a good adhesive (3M 77 or similar). Probably less than 10 bucks a yard.

ace_800
08-28-2007, 03:02 PM
If you don't want super smooth why paint at all? Get yourself some decent carpet (not home stuff) you want something without backing. It stretches very nice, you can get all kinds of compound curves with a good adhesive (3M 77 or similar). Probably less than 10 bucks a yard.

As I stated in the first post, how the enclosure is shaped. I tried the 3m 77 and it didn't hold. I dont like the look of the carpet.

ace_800
08-28-2007, 06:22 PM
So any auto filler will b better than bondo, right?

xtremekustomz
08-28-2007, 07:56 PM
So any auto filler will b better than bondo, right?

There are some that are equal to it. The main thing is the ease of use/sanding. Cheap fillers are hard to work with and usually leave alot of pinholes. Rage Gold is like a really thick liquid. It is easier to work with, sands easier, but does cost more. Figure around double the cost of Bondo brand but it is well worth the money.