PDA

View Full Version : Need loud 6.5 comps with high power handling

Trancer
08-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Just got done blowing my Focal Access 6 1/2 comps. I was throwing 200 watts rms at each side. They didnt seem to get that loud either. I liked the midbass from them, hated the tweeters.

Im looking for some comps that will obviously sound good, handle the power, and be loud. My problem before with these Focals were I just couldnt hear them so I kept cranking and cranking.

I was looking into the following

OZ Audio
Boston Acoustic Pro's

I dont have much to spend. Who doesnt, right? I just spent money on the Focals, so im rather broke.

tbasile1
08-27-2007, 06:36 PM
200watts to the Focals, dam, not hard to see why they blew

mlstrass
08-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I would suggest adding some loud rear fill, so you don't have to abuse your comps so badly...

hatemonger
08-27-2007, 06:39 PM
I would suggest adding some loud rear fill, so you don't have to abuse your comps so badly...

i respectfully advise against rear fill.

Trancer
08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
not so much on the rear fill.

I just need a good set of comps that arent overpowered by two sealed 12's in a truck. Cant see why its so hard

OC*SS
08-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Just got done blowing my Focal Access 6 1/2 comps. I was throwing 200 watts rms at each side. They didnt seem to get that loud either. I liked the midbass from them, hated the tweeters.

Im looking for some comps that will obviously sound good, handle the power, and be loud. My problem before with these Focals were I just couldnt hear them so I kept cranking and cranking.

OZ Audio
Boston Acoustic Pro's

I dont have much to spend. Who doesnt, right? I just spent money on the Focals, so im rather broke.

X2 I am running an Orion 8004 which blew the fcuk outta my 2 pairs of kicker comps.

hatemonger
08-27-2007, 06:47 PM
not so much on the rear fill.

I just need a good set of comps that arent overpowered by two sealed 12's in a truck. Cant see why its so hard

any decent comps will be fine. i have type r comps that are plenty loud for 2 12's and they only get about 100 rms. can't say i like the type r comps sound much, but they're loud enough. i do like the alpine type x components though.

tbasile1
08-27-2007, 06:48 PM
How much exactly do you want to spend??

xtremekustomz
08-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Dynaudio

bk12321
08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
u need a budget...

and off the top of my head, cmx kicks or germs would fit the bill nicely

oxsign
08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
How about buying 2 sets of comps instead of continuing to blow 1 set at a time?

WantedIsHere
08-27-2007, 07:47 PM
germs do not get crazy loud at all.... try some diamond hex's they get loud and sound good while doing it...

krisfnbz
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
How about buying 2 sets of comps instead of continuing to blow 1 set at a time?

lmao

bk12321
08-27-2007, 07:50 PM
germs do not get crazy loud at all.... try some diamond hex's they get loud and sound good while doing it...

any comp set that ive ever heard that can handle 200 rms or even 150 definitely got louder than I needed them to

oxsign
lmao:imdama::thumbsup::D

bjayjr5679
I have some new 2007 Type R's that have not been installed. I know they are constantly sh!tted on but i like them alot compared to the old.

Trancer
08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
I have had a set of Type R comps. Weak in the midbass, but good for the cash.

Budget... I would like to stay around $250 or so.

And two set of comps? Nah, I dont feel like shelling out for kicks pods too.

tbasile1
08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Well I found the OZ speakers, and you said that you were looking into them so here ya go, bit over budget tho

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9555_Oz+Audio+Matrix+Elite+180CS.html

6spdcoupe
08-27-2007, 11:09 PM
No warranty on the Focals?

Trancer
08-27-2007, 11:44 PM
No warranty on the Focals?

No waranty. I got them off ebay for $95. It was a steal. They sounded great until I got subs in, then they got drounded out

Gary S
08-28-2007, 01:37 AM
I think the Focal Access comps are more of a low power budget set. Sounds like you need some high power components.

Before you blow something expensive, try Almani s7-602c components... look for a price of around $90.00... you may have to see the site and call some dealers to get them... they are new, I don't see any websites listing them yet.

IgnoreMe
08-28-2007, 01:43 AM

although people will disagree this this...i will agree.

not so much in the sense as "yes get rear fill" but more in the sense of there is a point when just sending more power to your front stage is more of a risk than if you just double up on speakers. and a lot of times rear fill can help in keeping up with a loud substage. not to mention its an easier install then trying to get 2 sets in the front doors, especially for a less experienced person.

for me, i prefer a front stage only and i can suggest a pair of pro 60's (supposedly z6's handle the power even better and get louder) off 250w+

mine do a fairly good job keeping up with a pair of 18's

mlstrass
08-28-2007, 02:29 AM
exactly why I suggested rear fill, to help out the fronts and enable him to keep up with his subs without buying killer comps that need a ton of power.

Properly set up rear fill won't take away from the front stage, it only enhances it. I run mine off a toggle and when they come on it "sounds" like the fronts just got way louder...

DejaWiz
08-28-2007, 12:09 PM
I recently went and auditioned the Treo TSX comps. They list for $299 but holy hell they get loud. I spoke directly with the owner of Metro Audio here in Omaha about them and he sends the demo set 240w rms (any more than that and the passives will start to saturate) and has had absolutely zero problems. Just throwing another log on the fire for your enjoyment...

Trancer
08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I recently went and auditioned the Treo TSX comps. They list for $299 but holy hell they get loud. I spoke directly with the owner of Metro Audio here in Omaha about them and he sends the demo set 240w rms (any more than that and the passives will start to saturate) and has had absolutely zero problems. Just throwing another log on the fire for your enjoyment...

Is that 240w for each side or combined?

DejaWiz
08-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Each side.

snb778
08-28-2007, 03:09 PM

OZ Audio
Boston Acoustic Pro's

aren't they under warranty?????

Boston Pro's kick some ***! they do/have the potential to get very loud, but you need someone who really knows how to properly tune a stereo to get them to their max. I have a pair, they are loud, but I KNOW they can get louder since im only throwin like 200 a side.. BUT that is because the way I have them tuned, they are already making that popping sound for the midbass...I turn it down a little bit, and then there is NO midbass...so I dunno....

6spdcoupe
08-28-2007, 03:14 PM

Boston Pro's kick some ***! they do/have the potential to get very loud, but you need someone who really knows how to properly tune a stereo to get them to their max. I have a pair, they are loud, but I KNOW they can get louder since im only throwin like 200 a side.. BUT that is because the way I have them tuned, they are already making that popping sound for the midbass...I turn it down a little bit, and then there is NO midbass...so I dunno....

Post # 20:

No waranty. I got them off ebay for $95. It was a steal. They sounded great until I got subs in, then they got drounded out

Decipha
08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
i have a set of z6s powered by an orion 8004 they handle 400rms and get pretty loud, loud enuff to keep up with my 2x 15s

Trancer
08-28-2007, 04:09 PM

See thats the problem I was running in to. They got loud, but the midbass would start popping. Turned down the midbass, then there was none, but couldnt get loud.

The Focal's seemed to have taken it pretty well once I turned down the midbass. Thought they were fine, till they blew. So I dunno. :D

Trancer
08-28-2007, 04:10 PM
i have a set of z6s powered by an orion 8004 they handle 400rms and get pretty loud, loud enuff to keep up with my 2x 15s

I wish I could afford Z6's, but I cant.

jluv
08-28-2007, 05:25 PM
I have been very happy with my Pro 60s. I run them active, sending about 225w to each mid and roughly 40w to each tweet. Keep in mind the mids are 3 ohm and the tweets are 8 ohm. I believe they do this so the mids can get plenty of power without killing the tweets. I assure you the tweets don't need anything over 40 watts to keep up. Anyway, the mids handle the gobs of power very well. With a good install and tune, you should be able to get the results you are looking for. If you blow them with 200w per side, you're doing something wrong.

jmanpc
08-28-2007, 05:31 PM
MB Quarts really scream and will soak up all the power you give em. I gave my PSD 216's 200w and they loved it. They were loud as hell, too. Right now, I'm running MBQ 5.25 components and my 15" Audioque doesnt overpower em

Trancer
08-28-2007, 06:19 PM
MB Quarts really scream and will soak up all the power you give em. I gave my PSD 216's 200w and they loved it. They were loud as hell, too. Right now, I'm running MBQ 5.25 components and my 15" Audioque doesnt overpower em

Great, Ill check into those in the 6 1/2's.

Been through Searcy many times btw. Family in Batesville. Nice up there

Ignatowski
08-28-2007, 06:31 PM
check out the Crystals,they can take gobs of power
and screem with ultra clairity,plus they are under 200 bucks.....
I had em in my truck for a while and wish I hung on to them

Gary S
08-28-2007, 06:52 PM
The quarts are not a bad idea now that the previous years/series are being closed out, great prices right now.... I think the QSD series have an 18db crossover and handle more power than the lower lines.

Crystal is no more.

jmanpc
08-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah, the PCE 216 can be had for ~150 now, which is a HELL of a deal. I got mine for $310 and I thought they were worth every penny I paid for em.

jmanpc
08-28-2007, 06:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-MB-Quart-PCE-216-Component-Speakers-package_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38646QQihZ009QQ itemZ190146339995QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

tbasile1
08-28-2007, 07:09 PM
PCEs = :yumyum::yumyum:

Thats a steal and a great price for them!!!!!!!!!

WantedIsHere
08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
mb's in the 90's were awesome.... around 2002-3 they became crappy next to the older ones... i used to run strictly mb's till about y2k when i started having issues with blowing mid's.... go get some diamonds and call it a day.... and also x5 on the rear fill to increase output... it makes a world of diff... people around here just dont like rear fill cause someone else said so... i personally love rear fill as i like lots of output and hate having subs drown out the music....

IgnoreMe
08-28-2007, 07:30 PM
mb's in the 90's were awesome.... around 2002-3 they became crappy next to the older ones... i used to run strictly mb's till about y2k when i started having issues with blowing mid's.... go get some diamonds and call it a day.... and also x5 on the rear fill to increase output... it makes a world of diff... people around here just dont like rear fill cause someone else said so... i personally love rear fill as i like lots of output and hate having subs drown out the music....

not true.

i think it sounds weird to have rear fill. but i wont push my idea on others like some do.

Ignatowski
08-28-2007, 07:35 PM
crystal is no more WTF......

6spdcoupe
08-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Not true at all, I dont believe in it simply because it doesnt fit a proper soundstage. For others .. .Im neither for or against -to each their own.

Trancer
08-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok cool. Great guys. I appreciate the input. Im checking out to see if I can find anyone who has a set of Crystals.

Im also checking on that set of MB Quarts that was suggested.

What do you all think of the RE Audio XXX comps?

I had a set of RE RE Comps when they first came out and didnt like them much. Couldnt crank them up and didnt get loud. I hear the RE RE line has been revised, but now that I have the power for the XXX Comps, im interested. I cant get any power handling information of their website. Whatcha all think?

Trancer
08-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Also thinking the MLK2 from Hertz if I can get a price on them. Anyone?

genxx
08-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Why not the Pioneer 720PRS? No one listed them or the PG RSd which for the price can get pretty darn loud.

The MBQ can get loud and for price I would throw in a vote for them.

92SC300
08-31-2007, 04:16 PM

THANK YOU!!!

CaliforniabOY5
08-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Ok cool. Great guys. I appreciate the input. Im checking out to see if I can find anyone who has a set of Crystals.

Im also checking on that set of MB Quarts that was suggested.

What do you all think of the RE Audio XXX comps?

I had a set of RE RE Comps when they first came out and didnt like them much. Couldnt crank them up and didnt get loud. I hear the RE RE line has been revised, but now that I have the power for the XXX Comps, im interested. I cant get any power handling information of their website. Whatcha all think?

hmmmmmm, well i loved my RE RE components and thought they got plenty loud..... what do i know, my last set was an SPX set... loud isnt really FOR me :)

Latina33
08-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Also thinking the MLK2 from Hertz if I can get a price on them. Anyone?

A guy on Evilbay is selling a BNIB set of those for $700 buy it now. Do a search, they're probably still there. :fro:

3.5Max6spd
09-01-2007, 01:56 AM

Huh? Weird...

You HAVE TO drive Hexs HARD, otherwise you hear NONE of its puny midbass...:D

Makaveli7haDon
09-01-2007, 11:48 AM
have you checked out JBL c608gtis? they are rated at 600 watts peak! i'm running them now off 180w and they get very loud. they keep up with my 1000w ported type r. great set if you set them up correctly.