PDA

View Full Version : Tuning with a PEQ

nbudros
08-27-2007, 10:06 AM
This post is in 2 parts. For your convenience, if you wish to read it all do so, at the bottom are my questions relating to this.

SCENARIO

Hey there everyone... I just swapped out my IVA-W200 for my new eclipse cd7000. And well, i noticed before it all that my mids dont get enough power and or arnt loud enough compared to the other components, and the tweets are a little loud, and some what harsh at loud volumes. Any my sub needs clean non, boosted bass or it sounds bad, IE loudness, bass boost on the amp, our any othere preset feature that peak bass....

What i did originaly, was did only PEQ.

80,125,600,1K,2K,6K,12.5K I think thats what my peq is.

So i boosted the mids by 6 and the tweets by only 2, and left the bass at normal. The bass sounds fine and perfect when un touched, but i realized while louder my mids where sounding like they where underwater. And my tweets had no clarification.

So i started over.

This sounded And so I left the first 3 at normal, and then put 1k, and 2k up about 3 with wide q, and turned 6K, an d 12.5K down about 2 or 3 with a wide q to tone down my tweats, this sounded ok... but still not right

I left it the same but turned on Circle Sound II by eclipse, this setting usually *****. It just peaks your bas, mid and highs...

But since I have PEQ I did it, left my bass alone, left the mids up a tad, 1-2 pnts wide q again, and turned my tweets down till they where not harsh any more.

This has sounded the best so far. But its still not right. It peaks some places and sound like things are missing.

My hertz Sound great they do they they play right. They just need some tweaking.
When i have the ivaw200 I didnt need to tweak anything, i couldnt. It sounded good just low, and not full of sound, (hence the 2v) and now that I have 8 v (5 with out loudness) It demands more tweaking.

I also have all of my crossovers on my head unit set, instead of relying on my amps... although my 100.4 is set at 80~ HPF, and my 1500D is set at 1250~ LPF, just in case.

Also I fixed my muddy bass , i had my xover on the sub set to 100hz. :suicide:

QUESTIONS
So that is my situation. Explained in some detail. What im asking and or my questions are...

My PEQ on each band has ranges, band one is 63/80/100, and each band doesnt over lap the other and i can change the width and all that. Now what I wana know is what HZ should I alter or as close to possible hz should I alter to accomplish:

Turning my Tweets down, cymbals, hi hats, beat machine ticks, and things like that, not high hz guitars, but the really high treble, and how to boost my voices, guitars and chorus. Mainly the singers.

I can get the tweets to sound good or the mids or the bass to sound good but not all at the same time, ive been on and off tweaking for about a week.

Thanks for your time, and Im open for any suggestions and comments.

adam71
08-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, first of all an EQ whether it be parametric OR graphic should never be used to boost frequencies much if at all. It sounds like you have bigger problems that have nothing to do with the processing.

I would suggest getting your system into a shoppe or something with access to an RTA.

2kchevy06civic
08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
I was gonna say generally you will have a lot more spikes and wanting to tame those but you could have dips as well and need to boost those a tad bit. I would suggest you find someone who lives near you with access to an RTA.

nbudros
08-27-2007, 07:32 PM
RTA i see. Alright... Well ill look into it. Im also going to check my indoor crossovers for my tweets and see if i can tame them a little.

Its not horrible its just noticeable.

I really dont wana pay anyone to **** with my stuff. I would rather rent or buy an rta or something then have some one else do it.

The idea od sound imaging is coming to mind to... not all sure but im going to take a look at it some time soon.

nbudros
08-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, first of all an EQ whether it be parametric OR graphic should never be used to boost frequencies much if at all. It sounds like you have bigger problems that have nothing to do with the processing.

I would suggest getting your system into a shoppe or something with access to an RTA.

Whats the eq for?

adam71
08-31-2007, 03:54 AM
Whats the eq for?

It's for taming acoustic irregularities in the cabin of your vehicle. Not really sure what you're trying to ask.

nbudros
08-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Well i thought it was for boosting weak and taming harsh sounds.... Didnt know it wasnt for boosting... Thats all. Its all good, im working on bringing down my tweets with the -3 setting just gotta take the doors off this weekend.

adam71
09-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Well i thought it was for boosting weak and taming harsh sounds.... Didnt know it wasnt for boosting... Thats all. Its all good, im working on bringing down my tweets with the -3 setting just gotta take the doors off this weekend.

I'm sorry but I guess I worded my earlier response a little wrong. It is for boosting and valleys and lowering peaks. What I meant is you don't want to find yourself boosting any frequencies too much because will indicate that you have bigger problems that an EQ is only a band-aid for.