PDA

View Full Version : DVD Audio

trimegatron
08-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I searched, didn't see anything. I've been waiting for this for 3 years:).

It looks like Alpine is the only one in it?? But, for 2400 (their site) I think I'll have to continue to hold my breath.

kross
08-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD is Pioneer's current offering, also pretty pricey.

Amazon has a refurbed older AVH-P7500DVD for $500.

trimegatron
08-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD is Pioneer's current offering, also pretty pricey.

Amazon has a refurbed older AVH-P7500DVD for $500.

So, is this what's next...as in just rough it out for six-8months and DVD audio will be everywhere?

hoss
08-27-2007, 10:41 PM
any in dash dvd player should do dvd audio :fyi:

kross
08-28-2007, 02:14 AM
any in dash dvd player should do dvd audio :fyi:

DVD-Audio is actually a different format than DVD-Video. Most DVD-Audio discs also contain a DVD-Video version of the audio, for playback on standard DVD players. Not all DVD players can play DVD-Audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

Side Show
08-28-2007, 02:33 AM
AVHP5900DVD Pioneer, come with a direct video and audio cable (2008 model)

Symon_say
08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
JVC DVD players can play dvd audio.

trimegatron
08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
DVD-Audio is actually a different format than DVD-Video. Most DVD-Audio discs also contain a DVD-Video version of the audio, for playback on standard DVD players. Not all DVD players can play DVD-Audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

Exactly.

But,what it seems that people are saying is that a lot of single din players that can play a DVD (and a have a flip screen) can play a DVD with say mp3s on them?

kross
08-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Yes, many can play a DVD loaded with mp3's. Of course, mp3's are a long way from DVD-Audio, SQ-wise.

trimegatron
08-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes, many can play a DVD loaded with mp3's. Of course, mp3's are a long way from DVD-Audio, SQ-wise.

I hear you. But, you would have to have a dolby digital system correct? Is that what the new Alpine V12 digital amps are?

Motley
08-29-2007, 05:27 PM
JVC DVD players can play dvd audio.

Yes +1, my KD-AVX33 plays dvd audio, but I have not even tried playing one, as dvd audio discs are not a whole lot of them out.

kross
08-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I hear you. But, you would have to have a dolby digital system correct? Is that what the new Alpine V12 digital amps are?

Not sure exactly what you mean. I believe any DVD-Video capable headunit will have the Dolby Digital decoding built in. Do you mean you have to have a 5-speaker surround setup? If so, no you don't need that. 5.1-channel audio can be downmixed to stereo. This feature is part of the Dolby Digital decoder.

adam71
08-30-2007, 02:32 AM
So, is this what's next...as in just rough it out for six-8months and DVD audio will be everywhere?

Unfortunately this is NOT what's next. Today's consumer base does NOT care about high resolution audio. Today's crowd prefer convenience over quality as in low quality mp3s and standard CD. DVD-Audio and SACD are niche market items that will NEVER become mainstream. This is sad but true I'm afraid. I personally would have been very happy to see them become mainstream.

trimegatron
08-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Unfortunately this is NOT what's next. Today's consumer base does NOT care about high resolution audio. Today's crowd prefer convenience over quality as in low quality mp3s and standard CD. DVD-Audio and SACD are niche market items that will NEVER become mainstream. This is sad but true I'm afraid. I personally would have been very happy to see them become mainstream.

That's too bad. I saw an Audison amp - that I believe was a Dolby 5.1 amp. Saw it 2 years ago - got my hopes up.

trimegatron
08-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean. I believe any DVD-Video capable headunit will have the Dolby Digital decoding built in. Do you mean you have to have a 5-speaker surround setup? If so, no you don't need that. 5.1-channel audio can be downmixed to stereo. This feature is part of the Dolby Digital decoder.

gotcha

ngsm13
08-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Meh, if I indulged in high resolution audio at all... I'd rather do so at my home... not in my car...

2channel stereo is perfectly fine for me...

nG

adam71
08-31-2007, 02:44 AM
Meh, if I indulged in high resolution audio at all... I'd rather do so at my home... not in my car...

2channel stereo is perfectly fine for me...

nG

Well, if these formats became mainstream then you would be able to indulge at home or in your car.

Also, these formats are available in multi channel AND 2 channel stereo. I was pretty much referring to 2 channel.

ngsm13
08-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Well, if these formats became mainstream then you would be able to indulge at home or in your car.

Also, these formats are available in multi channel AND 2 channel stereo. I was pretty much referring to 2 channel.

INdeed.

But then, I'd have to spend even MORE money on my audioZ... :verymad:. Lol.

:p:

nG

adam71
09-01-2007, 07:55 AM
INdeed.

But then, I'd have to spend even MORE money on my audioZ... :verymad:. Lol.

:p:

nG

Yeah, tell me about it. I've spent enough money on my P9 combo. I couldn't justify buying a new head unit and processor right now.