PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Distortion only on one side, help!

randyrsx
08-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Alright the basics:

HU: Kenwood eXcelon x491 (with RCAs grounded)
Amp: PPI a600.2 (black art series)
Speakers: OZ Audio Matrix Elite 180CS (2007 model)

Been flipping out trying different things the past few WEEKS. I'm getting complete and udder distortion off one side. Sounds like someone trying to talk and crumple paper in the microphone as well, crackling, and a lot quieter. Every time the amp turns on, that side quickly makes a noise like someone is punching through a piece of paper. Tried switching outputs to each comp side and it switched as well. Tried using other inputs (ipod), tried switching RCA inputs, phase settings on the xover, wiring. It's gotta be the amp....

-add- also have turned down the gain to nothing, no difference...

Right?

*insert the correct answer below*

Thanks

MadAudio
08-25-2007, 11:23 PM
hmm so you have tried swapping both rca and how the speakers are connected on the amplifier? if so might be damage to the speaker itself like the cone tore away have you taken the speaker out and giving it a visual inspection?
oops *edit*
sounds like your amp might be acting up if switching the rca around does nothing for the problem but switching the amp outputs changes where the noise comes from then its yur amp.

randyrsx
08-25-2007, 11:27 PM
:( sad. I can't imagine why either. It's a very well taken care of old school beauty.

randyrsx
08-27-2007, 05:37 PM
So it's gotta be the amp, right?

thefunkybunch
08-27-2007, 10:53 PM
those old ppi's have a tendancy to act funny when the gain potentiometer starts to go/gets dirty. you may be able to open the amp, and split that pot open a bit and clean it out some, and it may work for a while, but you'll probably just want to replace it. my ppi a204 was doing the same thing, i think it cost me like 30 bucks for a new one. well worth it for a solid amp.

and while you're at it, you might wanna have it modified to accept more than a 2 volt input. it involves putting a 30k resistor inline with the input. too high of an input voltage could also cause the amp to act up or go faulty. there are diagrams that can be found online that show exactly where what needs to go. i think it was a 30k resistor, i'd have to look to make sure, but i'm sure you can find it :)

randyrsx
08-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Interesting, I don't totally follow but could you point me in the right directoin for someone that can clean that and put that resistor in... can you? PM me please

thefunkybunch
09-03-2007, 12:57 AM
i've always taken stuff to, and recommended people to the boys at a place called Sound Repair, in cocoa florida. they are an authorized kenwood, bose, and some other brands for repairs. they do awesome work, and are reasonable. but i mostly use them because they are local; i drive past them on my way home from work every day. any competent repair facility should have no problems being able to repair it. if you can't get it fixed, i'll give you $20 + shipping to take that broken piece of crap off of your hands :D

xtremekustomz
09-03-2007, 11:23 AM
A reputable repair shop is a good idea. If you don't have the extra money to spend look into taking it by a technical college. Usually the instructors are more than willing to take it in and repair it so he can show the students how and what needs to be done to correct the problem. I know the one I go to only charges you for the price of the parts.

randyrsx
09-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I'll pass on the $20 offer thanks. The technical college sounds like an interesting idea. The seller is trying to resolve it through DHL, so we'll see what happens.