PDA

View Full Version : Germanium tweeter config

WiCKeD 5.9L
08-25-2007, 07:10 PM
The tweeters are just a shade too bassy and I want to bump up the dB a little. What setting would you recommend if the tweeters are installed above the dash?

1. Direct Loud - Recommend for kick panel operations in floor space. Tweeter is unattenuated.
2. Linear Balanced (Default) - Recommended for lower door, floor space or rear install
3. Middle Optimum - Recommended for instrument panel with strong widnshield reflection. Gradient freq response was designed in such a way that the middle- to high-tone drop continually by octave
4. Reference Soft - Recommended for instrument panel with strong widnshield reflection. Gradient freq response was designed in such a way that the middle- to high-tone drop continually by 2 dB per octave

I think 1 = ???, 2 = 0dB, 3 = -1 dB, 4 = -2 dB

There is another option to change the cut-off frequency:

Jumper J1 (Low Pass Woofer): If the distance between and/or angles of the woofer and tweeter cause an undesirable increase in the pressure level, changing the cut-off frequency of the woofers may solve or improve the problem.

In position A: default cut-off frequency (approx 2.200Hz)
In position B: default cut-off frequency (approx 2.600Hz)

Jumper J2 (High Pass Tweeter): If the distance between and/or angles of the woofer and tweeter cause an undesirable increase in the pressure level, changing the cut-off frequency of the woofers may solve or improve the problem.

In position A: default cut-off frequency (approx 2.200Hz)
In position B: default cut-off frequency (approx 2.600Hz)

Would I want to raise the cutoff for both to 2.600Hz? Not sure why there is a separate setting for the woofer/tweeter.

slick rick
08-25-2007, 11:35 PM
high pass em to 2600...thats what I did with good results.

WiCKeD 5.9L
08-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Yup, I did that, set them to setting 1 and reversed the polarity (per the manual). They sound awesome now!

I also tried setting 4 to contrast and they sounded like they were underwater. I may bump them back down to 2 to keep them from breaking up at ultra high peaks. The cutoff frequency was the biggest improvement.

Man, I was already melting from the midbass these put out and now am extremely happy with the whole package! Overall sound hits all ranges.

slick rick
08-25-2007, 11:51 PM
I never reversed the polairy on mine yet...did you reverse it prior to high passing them at 2600 or at the same time?

WiCKeD 5.9L
08-25-2007, 11:52 PM
I did it first. Honestly, I didn't notice a difference.

slick rick
08-25-2007, 11:56 PM
I did it first. Honestly, I didn't notice a difference.

ok you saved me the trouble of trying it out. :)