PDA

View Full Version : Seperate Mid-bass locations?

the727kid
08-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Would having a mid-bass in the door and a mid-bass in the kick mess anything up or could I pull it off? (2 midbass per side).

Gary S
08-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Would having a mid-bass in the door and a mid-bass in the kick mess anything up or could I pull it off? (2 midbass per side).

- Is your component set in the doors? If so, I would mount them in the kicks and midbass in the doors. Kill two birds with one stone... more midbass and better soundstage/imaging.

the727kid
08-25-2007, 01:52 PM
It's not a component set. And the idea of the kicks would actually be up inside the kick against the wall so it is hidden. The midbasses are teh same drivers and each pair shares a channel.

Gary S
08-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Ok, to answer your original question... the sound will appear to come from between the two drivers playing the same frequencies, so, somewhere forward from the doors, this is good. It won't mess anything up.... assuming you have the proper crossover to do it, or are using active crossovers.

MiniVanMan
08-26-2007, 04:01 AM
You won't want to use two drivers playing the same frequencies on the same side unless you REALLY know what you're doing. So, I wouldn't recommend two midbasses, playing midbass frequencies. You'll open yourself up to all sorts of problems with lobing, cancellation, etc. It can very easily make any problem you have worse.

Why are you inquiring?

Gary S
08-26-2007, 11:20 AM
You won't want to use two drivers playing the same frequencies on the same side unless you REALLY know what you're doing. So, I wouldn't recommend two midbasses, playing midbass frequencies. You'll open yourself up to all sorts of problems with lobing, cancellation, etc. It can very easily make any problem you have worse.

Why are you inquiring?

- With one speaker hidden from line of sight, there will be no lobing... at least no additional lobing as far as what the listener will hear in that car. You can and often have lobing from a two-way component. That's why the aiming has to be played with so much to get them right sometimes.

- With speakers that far forward, there will be more added midbass.

If peaks and dropouts were a problem from using multiple identical drivers, everybody would be mixing different subs in their cars. It can actually sound better by having two or more different makes/models of subs in your car. But it's not a major issue.

What you don't want to do is put two or more drivers (subs are no problem) lined up with your line of sight... if you have speakers in the door, if you can lean toward the window on the side you are sitting on and see the drivers in a straight line, that might not be good.

xtremekustomz
08-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm all for having the midbass in the kicks. I am a little curious as to what size drivers you are talking about using for midbass, where your midrange and tweets are going to be, and what frequency do you plan on running your midbass?

the727kid
08-26-2007, 02:31 PM
As of right now it will be 2 6.5" Germanium midbass and cd1 pro horns, all active. Probally xover at ~1.2k @24dB. I could get some tangband 6x9s to go in the stock locations and put the midbass up hidden in the kick for 3 way active but that requires purchasing some more equipment lol.

MiniVanMan
08-26-2007, 04:55 PM
- With one speaker hidden from line of sight, there will be no lobing... at least no additional lobing as far as what the listener will hear in that car. You can and often have lobing from a two-way component. That's why the aiming has to be played with so much to get them right sometimes.

- With speakers that far forward, there will be more added midbass.

If peaks and dropouts were a problem from using multiple identical drivers, everybody would be mixing different subs in their cars. It can actually sound better by having two or more different makes/models of subs in your car. But it's not a major issue.

What you don't want to do is put two or more drivers (subs are no problem) lined up with your line of sight... if you have speakers in the door, if you can lean toward the window on the side you are sitting on and see the drivers in a straight line, that might not be good.

Yeah, kind of unclear on my part, sorry. I was referring more to midrange frequencies not midbass.

So, to the OP, if you have the set of Germaniums playing, for example, 80 hz and above, and another 6.5 Germanium midbass playing 80-200 hz, it's a doable scenario. You really don't want the second midbass driver playing any higher than that. You might be able to get away with anything upwards of 300-400 hz even at a 24db/oct slope, but that's pushing it.