PDA

View Full Version : anyone have good tips for cutting small rings with a router?

req
08-25-2007, 12:03 PM
i recently have been trying to use my router more and more to cut my baffles. i just read online that instead of plunging all the way through the wood its good to do it in steps. also, instead of plunging straight down, its good to plunge as you cut the circle to rid yourself of that little divot at the end of the cut.

so how do you cut things like tweeter baffles that are 1.5" in diamater without loosing fingers? i dont really comphrend how you can cut a circle that small unless there is some little secret to it.

i dunno. please fill me in. i also now know that the bit has a lot to do with how your cutting edge turns out. carbide\tungston will supposedly live 10x longer that high speed steel. so looks like im off to the store to buy a better bit :verymad:

anyone have any good router tips then? i have a nice jasper jig, i just need help using it correctly i suppose.

bonesninja
08-25-2007, 12:19 PM
i can't help with the router part but i have a Rotozip with a circle attachment that i use for that purpose....works freaking awesome

lilmaniac2
08-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Hole saw :)

mlstrass
08-25-2007, 01:17 PM
x2 on a hole saw for circles that small.

When routing you don't cut the entire depth in one pass. I normally do 1/4" at a time, so 3 passes to get through 3/4" MDF or whatever...

req
08-25-2007, 01:22 PM
but how do you cut a 1" circle out of a 2 inch circle?

i mean its to small to rotate the router around, and after you cut the outside diamater out, and you are going for the inside, unless you have a router table its extremly dangerous. is there a secret that i dont know?

tRidiot
08-25-2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/lenox/holesaws.htm?L+coastest+pmln9270ffbb20bb+118814266 8

SethPhillips
08-25-2007, 01:30 PM
tip: watch ur fingers

bonesninja
08-25-2007, 01:36 PM
req...cut the inner hole first, then cut the outer

req
08-25-2007, 05:41 PM
explain to me how i can cut the outside hole if i have no focal point because the inner one is gone.

:duh:

SethPhillips
08-25-2007, 05:44 PM
make a jig? possibly???

lilmaniac2
08-25-2007, 05:47 PM
holesaw noob

CrazedCat
08-25-2007, 05:51 PM
If you dont have a router table you can use a piece of scrap wood. To make baffle rings what you do is mark the center point of the work piece. Then slightly off from that center point you want to countersink 2 screws into your work piece and the scrap wood to secure it down. Then cut the outer diameter first, then the inner diameter.

But yeah anything less than 4" diameter just use a hole saw.

Blazin_Jason
08-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Hole saw :)

holesaw noob

Maybe you missed it. ;)

Immacomputer
08-25-2007, 06:29 PM
To illustrate what CrazedCat said, I made a sketchup drawing in case things were not clear:

http://i9.tinypic.com/6bjfevc.png

The long tube going through everything would be on screw and you should really do two to keep it from rotating on you but I got lazy. The center hole is for your jig to rotate around.

That method is the best to use if you can't use a hole saw attachment for your drill.

bjfish11
08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Use a hole saw. Cut the outer first. Put it in a bench vise, and then cut the inner. Never done it, but thats how I would do it. LOL

Worlddre
08-25-2007, 08:10 PM
exactly as stated before have done it before and im sure ill o it again

mattmcss
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
while were on this subject I have a rotozip and I've tried several times to use it to cut MDF and it just does not work very well at all. Is there a special kid of bit that I should be using to make these cutouts ?

req
08-27-2007, 11:20 PM
i knew there was some ideal way to cut rings with a router. i thought about attaching the thing to a scrap piece below but i didnt know if it would work out that well. i guess it will :p:

i wish there was a better way to secure the ring down so it didnt move after you get to the end of the rip. i hate that little divot that is left at the end of the rip. i know about plunging as you swing through the rip, but meh.

ill give it a try.

PSturmer
08-28-2007, 12:43 AM
i can't help with the router part but i have a Rotozip with a circle attachment that i use for that purpose....works freaking awesome

i had a rotozip, but it didnt have enough power. there are bits for drill presses. you can get them big, my school had them all the way up to 4''. work very nicely

CrazedCat
08-28-2007, 12:46 AM
ii hate that little divot that is left at the end of the rip. i know about plunging as you swing through the rip, but meh.

No dude never plunge as you're making a pass. Plunge a certain depth at your starting point and then make that rip at that level. Once you make a full pass, then plunge slightly deeper (while NOT moving) and make the next pass.

For 3/4" wood I'd make 3 passes 1/4" deep (assuming a 1/4" spiral upcut bit).

PatFitz9
08-28-2007, 12:48 AM
meh, i just plunge the full 3/4 with a 1/4 spiral upcutting bit.

CrazedCat
08-28-2007, 12:52 AM
meh, i just plunge the full 3/4 with a 1/4 spiral upcutting bit.

And you haven't snapped bits or punctured your spleen?? Lemme guess...no safety goggles either? :eyebrow:

ngsm13
08-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Get a hole saw feg.

nG

req
08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
listen.

i do not want, nor do i have the money or space, for tons of one time use tools. i am not buying a $10 hole saw to cut one pair of tweeter baffles.

so stop ******* recommending them.

IamDeMan
08-28-2007, 07:43 AM
while were on this subject I have a rotozip and I've tried several times to use it to cut MDF and it just does not work very well at all. Is there a special kid of bit that I should be using to make these cutouts ?Just just to take it slow. Also do it in levels just like they said with a router. It's the same thing with my dremel. I used to use it and a circle guide to make the woofer cutouts. I just used a down spiral cutting bit. It took forever. If you apply too much pressure to go faster, you will just burn the bit. My router and jasper jig work much nicer.

ramos
08-28-2007, 09:32 AM
listen.

i do not want, nor do i have the money or space, for tons of one time use tools. i am not buying a $10 hole saw to cut one pair of tweeter baffles.

so stop ******* recommending them.

so send them to me and I'll cut them for you :p: I use a homemade router table jig to cut the outside diameter , then use forstner bits to cut the inside out to the correct dimensions. :)

PatFitz9
08-28-2007, 09:38 AM
And you haven't snapped bits or punctured your spleen?? Lemme guess...no safety goggles either? :eyebrow:

yeah ******* and i stick my finger on the bit to slow it down.

ramos
08-28-2007, 10:43 AM

Personally I use my tongue :)

IamDeMan
08-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Personally I use my tongue :)None of us have complained either.

CrazedCat
08-28-2007, 10:56 AM

probably.

skeptikal
08-28-2007, 11:03 AM

x2 on the rotozip. Love mine, gets the job done for cutting out small holes.

Immacomputer
08-28-2007, 11:06 AM

I've cut out quite a few holes and never snapped a bit by making only one pass. I've cut through 13 ply birch, 9 ply birch, MDF, and ghetto plywood and I've only burned the bit once and never snapped it. I've probably cut close to 20 holes or so with the single bit.

I understand the reason for making multiple passes but I haven't any trouble doing one when I let the bit do the work and not force it.

...and yes, I wear safety glasses all the time along with a mask for the sawdust.

ramos
08-28-2007, 11:08 AM
None of us have complained either.

THat's only because I used the ******* of the last complainer to stop the bit :)

ramos
08-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Making multiple passes versus a single pass will slow down the dulling of your bits as well :)

Trixter
08-28-2007, 02:38 PM
i made some small holes using the larger jasper jig...i just turned the router upside down and turned the small piece of wood....

IamDeMan
08-28-2007, 02:42 PM
THat's only because I used the ******* of the last complainer to stop the bit :)
That would put an end to that!

ramos
08-28-2007, 02:46 PM
That would put an end to that!

It did , haven't had one complaint since :)

req
08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
i made some small holes using the larger jasper jig...i just turned the router upside down and turned the small piece of wood....

what happens to when your finger gets ripped off?

Trixter
08-28-2007, 07:43 PM
what happens to when your finger gets ripped off?

...i'm not grabbing the bit. the router is stationary, you just guide the wood...kinda like on a router table only using a jig rather than a guide.

req
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
then be freakin careful man. one day that bit is gonna be worn out and you are going to get it caught or let go on accident and the wood is gonna fly around and hit your hand and you are accidently going to drive you wrist thru the blade and die from blood loss.

not my idea of a good time. ive turned it upside down in a vice and cut a 15" circle inner diamater that way, but i had lots of posative control with a large diamter ring. but im not doing that with something thats 2" man.

*shudder*

ramos, drive down here and do it for me and we can fulfill the 5% beer rule. :toast:

bjfish11
08-28-2007, 11:41 PM
req, i know you said you didnt want to use hole saws, but you can pick up some cheap *** ones (like a couple bucks a piece) and get everything cut out. They wont make many cuts, but if you are only doing a couple seats of tweeter pods, they will work.