PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on these higher-end comps?

Damage
08-24-2007, 04:08 PM
So here's the deal...

I am going to get rid of my 2 sets of BA Pro 60's. They simply lack solid mid-bass and have poor off-axis performance. I want to replace them with a single set of higher quality comps.

I am looking for crisp and crystal clear (dynamic sounding) sparkling highs (not tinny or shrill mind you). I am also looking for awesome imaging and off-axis presence. I want to be simply blown away when I listen to this new set. They will be carefully placed and will have enclosures for the mids. I listen to everything from Pink Floyd to SOD to Lil John. Car is a Scion Xa, and I also have a set of TC 2000 12's being pushed by a Opti 2000d.

I will be pushing this set with a ZED made USX 1000f (500w x2 @2ohms stereo, 400w @ 4 ohms) Here are the sets I am looking at...please comment on which of these you think fit best what I am looking for, or add your own idea if it is better then these:

Diamond Audio D971

Zapco CK 16.2 - 6.5" 2 Way CK165 Component Speakers

Polk Audio SR6500

Phoenix Gold Ti6CompElite

CDT Audio ES-62i

Dynaudio System 240GT

Dynaudio Esotec System 242 GT

OZ Audio 180CS - OZ Audio Matrix Elite 6.5

Helix RS 6 Competition

Focal 165K2P UV (Upgraded Version)

Thanks in advance...

crawlinYJ
08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
i think you maybe had some install issues because those are not characteristics of the pros. out of your list i would go with the zapco's or the dynaudios. i have heard a lot of the zapcos comps, i run a set of blue cone refs myself, and they are awesome speakers. the c2k's play a little lower, but i like the more energetic natural sound of the blue cones. the mid range/mid bass is unbelievable. i think with the tweeters the zapcos run they sound better off axis as well.

Beat_Dominator
08-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Heh I was going to say you might have install issues too.

....but if you want new stuff, the Dynaudio components are Very hard to beat.

Damage
08-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Keep in mind, the Pros I have are the Pro 60 set. I have read elsewhere they were a bit of a weak entry from BA, and I have to agree so far.

I also forgot to list Rainbow, but I am unsure what the comperable set of those would be to add to this list.

Beat_Dominator
08-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Rainbow and Hertz are the "newer" kids on the block it seems.

Towncar
08-24-2007, 05:48 PM
elites or dyns would be my choice..

3.5Max6spd
08-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Dyns- Esotecs BTW...the midrange on them is much improved and the tweeter is leaps and bounds better than the md100 due to better extension and new coating on the dome.

crawlinYJ
08-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Rainbow and Hertz are the "newer" kids on the block it seems.

rainbow has been around for quite some time.

Beat_Dominator
08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I meant newer to our market. Unlike others he posted.

Damage
08-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Dynaudio is the front runner so far...on here and other forums, as well as some PM's...

interesting, as it was my second choice on the list...

Keep 'em coming folks...and thanks for the shared knowledge so far!

tbasile1
08-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Dynaudio :yumyum:

crawlinYJ
08-24-2007, 11:01 PM
i have had the 240gt system and i can tell you the c2k is a better sounding speaker to my ears. its more of a true SQ speaker than more of a speaker that you can listen to all day. given that the rest of your system and install is up to par, the c2k's will have more definition to each note. i have noticed a more stable soundstage as well.

i have owned the dyns. they are easier to listen to, not that the c2k's fatigue your ears, but i have found that the better something sounds the harder you listen. if that makes any sense.

Keyser Söze
08-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Lotus Performance

crawlinYJ
08-25-2007, 01:28 AM
you might want to consider scan speak as well. they make the alpine F1 status components. you can pick up alpines $2500 components for about 250 bucks with a different but respected name on them.

genxx
08-25-2007, 06:08 AM
you might want to consider scan speak as well. they make the alpine F1 status components. you can pick up alpines $2500 components for about 250 bucks with a different but respected name on them.

Not sure what Scan you are talking about for that price. A set of mids are about $400 for scans and if you go with a Sacn tweeter then you are in the $700-$1200+ range depending on the tweeter you pick. It could be more if you go for the higher tweeters they make.

If you can get a pair of Scan Revs for $250 tell us where please.

Here are a couple links to scan-speaks. These prices are per-speaker + shipping.

http://www.timbre-audio.com/Scan-Speak.html

Scan Rev 7"
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=148&products_id=929

Scan D2904/7100-01
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=148&products_id=1579

Scan R2904/7000-09 Ring Radiator tweeter
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=148&products_id=1581

Scan-speak D3004/6600-00 Textile dome, AirCir
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=148&products_id=1738

To the OP I would strongly consider the Dyns.

Ignatowski
08-25-2007, 09:02 AM
the thing about any speaker is
1) they sound different in car to car
2) the amp you use will also greatly effect SQ
3) they are too expensive to just buy and find out later you hate them

tmoney
08-25-2007, 10:42 AM
the thing about any speaker is
1) they sound different in car to car
2) the amp you use will also greatly effect SQ
3) they are too expensive to just buy and find out later you hate them

WORD!!!!

azbass
08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
dynaudio - end.

xtremekustomz
08-25-2007, 12:25 PM
My Vote: Dynaudio

Hoodlum007
08-25-2007, 12:42 PM
i would suggest trying to listed to any of these and see if they are what you are looking for so you don't have the same issues with the new set. i know sometimes that is not possible though.

i would suggest CDT ES620Z's with the "Z" professional crossovers. i heard these in a SQ vehicle car recently and almost pissed in my pants. the midbass was teeth rattling and the musical an vocal reproductoin was outstanding.

Second choice would be the Dyn's but the 240GT's not the new 242. IMO the newer Dyn tweeters are not as smooth, even though they are still soft dome for some reason they did not sound as smooth as the older tweeters.

6spdcoupe
08-25-2007, 12:51 PM

If your referring to these..
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/6spdcoupe/Z18s.jpg

Theyre actually $3500. Aside from that, PLEASE tell me where I can get the scans for $250.

6spdcoupe
08-25-2007, 12:52 PM
To the OP ... of your choices .. Dyn 242GTs gets my vote.

crawlinYJ
08-25-2007, 02:33 PM
its so funny how people are blinded by the truth that a high dollar speaker can be manufactured by someone else.

whitemax
08-25-2007, 03:00 PM
These guys are not blind......let us know where we can pick the $250 dollars set from, I am very interested......

crawlinYJ
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
they are very blind, i have been observing for at least 4 years. this forum is out of control.

6spdcoupe
08-25-2007, 03:12 PM
its so funny how people are blinded by the truth that a high dollar speaker can be manufactured by someone else.

Yes, thats it I must be blind and know nothing. So Please tell me where the Scans can be had for $250. Theres Many high end drivers made by Many different manufacturers, so what your point is, is beyond me. The point at hand is that you said they could be had for $250, so ya wanna show us now?

crawlinYJ
08-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes, thats it I must be blind and know nothing. So Please tell me where the Scans can be had for $250. Theres Many high end drivers made by Many different manufacturers, so what your point is, is beyond me. The point at hand is that you said they could be had for $250, so ya wanna show us now?

you are probably the most biased here. dont step on 6speeds toes, or say anything other than arc and rainbow because he and 3.5 will come bend you over like a couple losers who must know too much for the real world, so we pawn it off on the internet.

crawlinYJ
08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
and who pays retail for anything. do your research smarty pants. you might find a good deal out there

bikinpunk
08-25-2007, 03:21 PM

x2.

To get a set of midbasses for $250 would be incredible. Not to mention a full 3-way setup of scanspeaks...

tmoney
08-25-2007, 03:22 PM
you are probably the most biased here. dont step on 6speeds toes, or say anything other than arc and rainbow because he and 3.5 will come bend you over like a couple losers who must know too much for the real world, so we pawn it off on the internet.

i thinks somebody's feelings hurt......

bikinpunk
08-25-2007, 03:23 PM

Wow...guess you don't realize that Don runs f#1 gear. :uhoh:

crawlinYJ
08-25-2007, 03:24 PM
x2.

)

x3 for a shameless addition to my post count. this forum is gay and you all know it. its full of internet punk asses who regergitate useless textbook style information versus helpful information. if you havent noticed, if someone has one up on someone else on here, i guess its time to knock them down because that is not acceptable to others.

crawlinYJ
08-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Wow...guess you don't realize that Don runs f#1 gear.

and hes very bitter that he bought a F1 label obviously.

bikinpunk
08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
this forum is gay and you all know it. its full of internet punk asses who regergitate useless textbook style information versus helpful information.

they are very blind, i have been observing for at least 4 years. this forum is out of control.

kettle, pot. pot, kettle.

Seems to me like you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Tell me where you can get a 3-way setup that matches the F#1 status? Since you seem to know, please, please tell me where i can buy the "base" f#1 scan revs for $250 for a full 3-way set.

I'll be waiting...

6spdcoupe
08-25-2007, 03:32 PM

Yup Im the most biased here, especially for Arc and Rainbow, yet funny how neither are in my vehicle. Good call, you definately caught me out there. Last time I bashed Anyone here? Care to show me? Take your time, youll need it.

6spdcoupe
08-25-2007, 03:34 PM
and who pays retail for anything. do your research smarty pants. you might find a good deal out there

Who said anything about retail? You stated a price and I corrected it, that is all.

BTW ... Still waiting for those $250 scans...

crawlinYJ
08-25-2007, 03:34 PM
yea, like you never humped the hell out of either brands or bashed someone who didnt like them.

well, i must leave this sausage fest as you are all internet punks who appearantly have no life other than being an internet punk ***.

6spdcoupe
08-25-2007, 03:35 PM
and hes very bitter that he bought a F1 label obviously.

Actually Im bitter that it says Alpine, a label I dont carry nor endorse. If it could be removed, it would have been.

6spdcoupe
08-25-2007, 03:35 PM
yea, like you never humped the hell out of either brands or bashed someone who didnt like them.

well, i must leave this sausage fest as you are all internet punks who appearantly have no life other than being an internet punk ***.

Like I said ... Show Me.

You seem to talk alot of ****, with Absolutely Nothing to back it up.

bikinpunk
08-25-2007, 03:36 PM

Let us know when you've found that $250 scan speak set. I'd like to try out a full 3-way revelator setup if they're that cheap.

*waves bye*

whitemax
08-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I am on the wait list........

genxx
08-25-2007, 04:13 PM
crawlinYJ-You said you could get Scans for $250. Now put up or shut up. I was the first one to correct you on the price. You said nothing to me and went after Don because you thought you had an angle to pick a fight with him. To bad your angle has not worked out so well now did it.

Now go run along there little one, try and find a new angle to play. Your other ones are all played out.

For the record I have never seen Don hype anything he states his opinion and just because he is a dealer does not mean he is not entitled to one. I agree with what he has to say about 99% of the time. No I have never bought anything from him.

genxx
08-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Well if you are so smart tell us where to get them. There is more than just a few of us been searching to get them cheaper for more than a day. Have yet to find them any where near $250.00. Hell that's cheaper than you get them on a fuc*in group buy. Have not seen them on bay that cheap either.

The Dam* Dynaudio copies from other manufactures is not even cheap.

You must be the smartest guy out there and at a ripe old age of what 20 something(yes, its obvious you have not been around that long) you have seen just about everything right. Been in the car audio business for years to right.

So if you got the hook up there hotrod then let everyone else in the car audio world in on it and prove what you are saying.

Why is it that people get so defensive when they are wrong? Wait I know, its called the "I might be wrong but I will never admit it syndrome".

Screnzo
08-25-2007, 05:34 PM

I think that means no...he's not gonna show us.... :(

tbasile1
08-25-2007, 05:36 PM
CrawlinYJ:

:yureawsm:

Bye!

Screnzo
x3 for a shameless addition to my post count. this forum is gay and you all know it. its full of internet punk asses who regergitate useless textbook style information versus helpful information. if you havent noticed, if someone has one up on someone else on here, i guess its time to knock them down because that is not acceptable to others.

You've learned all this in the one month you've been here? Why are you still here then if we all **** ***...go find another forum then!

SethPhillips
Focal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SethPhillips
08-25-2007, 05:39 PM
i think someone's ****** hurts.

tbasile1
08-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Focal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yumyum:

guess im one of the few that didnt find them to be harsh when i auditioned all their lines, i love these speakers!!

SethPhillips
08-25-2007, 05:42 PM
:yumyum:

guess im one of the few that didnt find them to be harsh when i auditioned all their lines, i love these speakers!!

im not in love with focal or anything. im open to any kind of speaker that sounds good to me.
and the focal lines are awsome..

tbasile1
08-25-2007, 05:44 PM
im open to any kind of speaker that sounds good to me.

Thats the spirit!!

I like my Premier Pioneer coaxials lol they do the job, when I have the money, ill upgrade, but im satisfied! They also have some decent midbass!

Damage
08-25-2007, 09:39 PM
wow...someone got their ******* in a wad over nothing...

Thanks for bringing this thread back on track Seth!

Keyser Söze
08-26-2007, 06:26 PM

Seems y'all got pwnt! Notice he said BUCKS, not dollars. :suicide:

:laugh:

:laugh:

:laugh: :suicide:

dimond
08-26-2007, 06:41 PM
ill go with the D971s

genxx
08-27-2007, 04:49 AM
[QUOTE=Keyser Söze;3341514]Seems y'all got pwnt! Notice he said BUCKS, not dollars. :suicide:[QUOTE]

What? Dollars and Bucks are the same thing in the US. A buck=1 dollar, 2 bucks=2 dollars, 250 bucks=250 dollars. Not sure what you are saying or I do not understand what you are saying. Mabey you are confused on what a buck is in US slang.:D

bikinpunk
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I think (hope) he was just kidding. ;)

SQChevy
08-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm going to vote for Focal's and yes I may be slightly biased. :laugh: I still think they are some of the best out there.

Keyser Söze
08-30-2007, 11:13 PM
You guys SERIOUSLY need to learn how to take a joke! :rolleyes:

I bet you 250 dollhairs that I can find a pair of Scan-Speaks for SRP prices!!!!!!!! :D