PDA

View Full Version : preamp volts vs watts rms x 4

khops
08-23-2007, 10:35 PM
so ive been checking out new decks and there are some nice decks for around 300 that are 22wrms x 4 and 5 preamp volts but i found an eclipse that was only 14 wrms x 4 but had 8 preamp volts but it also ran for 500,which is more important to look at

AVSTANG02
08-24-2007, 02:34 AM
if u are even considering preamp voltage that means you plan to add amps so it does not matter what the RMS is!

dipitydoo
08-24-2007, 09:00 AM
As stated already, if you are using amps, then hu power is unimportant. For the record, 5v is plenty. Doubtful that additional output will make any difference.

khops
08-24-2007, 10:58 AM
im only using an amp for my sub,im not adding an amp for my other 4 speakers,i think they r plenty good already

bk12321
08-24-2007, 11:01 AM
5 volt preouts are fine, 8v are fine too

99StangGt
08-24-2007, 09:06 PM
I think if your only running an amp to run subs then it really doesnt matter about the volts. You shouldnt hear any noise through subs. The higher voltage helps keep your gains lower there for lowering noise and letting the amp run a little cooler.

Death By Bass
08-24-2007, 09:18 PM
I think if your only running an amp to run subs then it really doesnt matter about the volts. You shouldnt hear any noise through subs. The higher voltage helps keep your gains lower there for lowering noise and letting the amp run a little cooler.

it wont make the amp run any cooler

and in reality, anything about about 2 volt preouts is going to make no difference.

adam71
08-25-2007, 07:08 AM
it wont make the amp run any cooler

and in reality, anything about about 2 volt preouts is going to make no difference.

Exactly right. Having gains set lower makes NO difference on how the amp runs. It still has the same output regardless of the gain setting therefore it won't run any cooler or hotter.

nbudros
08-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Dont run under 4v it makes a huge difference... i just sold my alpine for an eclipse cus of it.

Death By Bass
08-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Dont run under 4v it makes a huge difference... i just sold my alpine for an eclipse cus of it.

its going to depend on the amplifier, if the amplifier says it attepts 1 - 8 volt RCA level inputs, then if you're giving it 8 volt input, then the amplifier is simply attenuating the input signal, with a resistor voltage divided back down to 1 volt before its fed to the amplifiers preamp anyway!

mlstrass
08-25-2007, 08:34 PM

I agree, but many others say it makes no diff. Stuff on my 4.5v Kenwood sounds WAY different on the GF's 2v Pioneer. Same sub/amp swapped from my car to hers and it's a night/day difference. Way lacking in output and I've tried 3 diff sub/amp combo's just to be sure.

Using Loudness helped a lot, but still not quite the same :crazy:

ShakesAllDay
08-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree, but many others say it makes no diff. Stuff on my 4.5v Kenwood sounds WAY different on the GF's 2v Pioneer. Same sub/amp swapped from my car to hers and it's a night/day difference. Way lacking in output and I've tried 3 diff sub/amp combo's just to be sure.

Using Loudness helped a lot, but still not quite the same :crazy:

There are many other factors between head units other than Pre-amp voltage. It's tough to say for certain that the voltage is what is causing any difference in SQ.

dipitydoo
08-28-2007, 11:25 AM
A higher preamp voltage output simply allows for the amp to make power at less gain. Reduced gain reduces noise. If you have no noise issues with 2v, then more output will make no difference.