PDA

View Full Version : kenwood is better then pioneer

Pro_built7
08-22-2007, 12:56 AM
i was wondering, what do you think? I have the kdc-mp435U in mind b/c of all its features and direct in front usb port. but is there a comparably priced ( 125$) pioneer out there? whats better all around pioneer or kenwood, im torn between the 2. ?? Thanks guys.

Beat_Dominator
08-22-2007, 01:00 AM
They are pretty close, especially at the price point you mentioned. Just go for the one you like the looks of and has the features you want.

Turborusty
08-22-2007, 01:07 AM
Kenwood's user interface generally tends to be much more intuitive.....Pioneers are just funky and clunky to navigate.

Turborusty

MadAudio
08-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Pioneers are just funky and clunky to navigate.

Turborusty
i have to disagree, pioneers are easy to use and give great bang for the buck .even the cheaper models
have lots of use full features.recently i installed a small system in my sentra spec v
for under $100 i picked up a new pioneer 390mp sounds great has all the use full features you want .the only sticking point is the usb pioneer doesn't add that till you get closer to $200 unless you can find one used like the Pioneer DEH-P6900UB. so if usb is a must have thats worth considering. other than that i would just find stores that have them on display and play with them and then decide either way you will be fine.

Turborusty
08-22-2007, 04:45 AM
I paid about $235 for my Excelon XXV-01d and I love it to death!!!!

I paid $400 for my wife's Premier DEH-790BT and to me, it's so-so.

Turborusty

Pro_built7
08-22-2007, 11:42 AM
ya i've always used kenwoods b/c they are pretty easy to function and have alot of features, But i've heard that pioneer gives better sound quality, do you guys think that is true?

(also) I was wondering whats the best pre out voltage to make my subs better. the one im looking at has 3 @ 2.5 volts?

dirthog
08-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I like the sound of Pioneers and they are a little funky to nav at first. After a week its very easy.

PatFitz9
08-22-2007, 05:01 PM
for HU's, I would go with Kenwood. for anything else, pioneer.

CaliforniabOY5
08-22-2007, 05:05 PM
my 1st kenwood HU is in the mail. i cant wait to try it out. . . ive NEVER liked a pioneer interface. . .

TurdFergueson2
08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
I was in love with Clarions until i got my Premier 690UB. Clarion makes a model with front USB. You can get one of those from ebay for under 150. Pioneer HU's are 22 watt RMS, i'm not sure what the Kenwood is. Both are great brands, but My advice is to try them both before you decide. Go to CC or BB and get the Pioneer 6900 and try it out. then get the top of the line kenwood and keep the one you like.

Pro_built7
08-23-2007, 02:37 PM
ya im going to go to abc warehouse and best buy, to check them out,

hey guys, could you explain to me exatly what different pre-out voltage does?

like I've seen 3 preouts @2.5v and 3 @ 4 volts, but what exactly does that change and is one better than the other ?

Beat_Dominator
08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Higher voltage will give you more headroom and thus flexibility matching a deck to any amps you might choose. There is also a common thinking that the higher voltages will give you better sound, though this is again more due to maximizing the voltage gain that an amp can utilize to reach it's full output potential.

duckfart
08-23-2007, 02:58 PM
I always liked Pioneers interface better than Kenwoods.

///M5
08-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Eff Kenwood. Pio, Alpine or Eclipse.

Pro_built7
08-23-2007, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=Beat_Dominator;3332218]Higher voltage will give you more headroom and thus flexibility matching a deck to any amps you might choose. There is also a common thinking that the higher voltages will give you better sound, though this is again more due to maximizing the voltage gain that an amp can utilize to reach it's full output potential.[/QUOTE

So really pre out voltage doesn't change your sound quality at all it jsut allows you to set your gain better?

jluv
08-23-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm an Alpine guy, but I have owned Kenwoods in the past and I really liked them a lot. I just have never warmed up to Pioneer.

billybrown66
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I liked my Kenwood XXV, in fact, I loved it.

BMW Sidewayz
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Eclipse> Alpine
Pioneer > Kenwood
Sony < Clarion

Kenwood IS NOT better than Pioneer!

Pro_built7
08-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Eclipse> Alpine
Pioneer > Kenwood
Sony < Clarion

Kenwood IS NOT better than Pioneer!

why do you say that ?

BMW Sidewayz
08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Simple. Just take Pionner's Top of the line Head Unit and compare it to Kenwood's top of the line Head unit and you have your answer right there, aside from the fact the pioneer has more High-end units and a better GUI. Its funny because Im actually on the market for a Kenwood DDX-8017 double din unit. I decided to go with this one because the options and many ways to tweak. Its got good sound processing features like SRS, 5v pre out, But I still like Pioneer and I would have to buy a separete dsp 5.1 prosecing if I decided to go with Pioneer. Kenwood's Ddx8017 has that built in.

Ignatowski
08-24-2007, 08:01 AM
this thread is BS..........

Bottom line side by side Excelons sound better than Pioneers on my system
and that went for Alpines as well.......last year I bought 4 or 5 HU's and tested
them all in my car with no other changes than the HU and by a far margin
the Excelon sounds cleaner and more powerfull -

now bugga off

Pro_built7
08-24-2007, 12:11 PM

and that went for Alpines as well.......last year I bought 4 or 5 HU's and tested

now bugga off

hmm... sorry we all can't be as sweet as u .. pfff

To everyone else thanks for your replies they were very helpful, and I've deffinitely decided to go kenwood.

Trey803
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM

now bugga off

did u try the p880 with 24 bit burr brown DAC's?

Pro_built7
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Simple. Just take Pionner's Top of the line Head Unit and compare it to Kenwood's top of the line Head unit and you have your answer right there, aside from the fact the pioneer has more High-end units and a better GUI. Its funny because Im actually on the market for a Kenwood DDX-8017 double din unit. I decided to go with this one because the options and many ways to tweak. Its got good sound processing features like SRS, 5v pre out, But I still like Pioneer and I would have to buy a separete dsp 5.1 prosecing if I decided to go with Pioneer. Kenwood's Ddx8017 has that built in.

no, that just means pioneer's top of the line model is better than kenwood's.... that means nothing to the rest of the models.

Flipx99
08-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think Kenwood has a HU with built in active crossovers like the 880.

Turborusty
08-24-2007, 02:22 PM
did u try the p880 with 24 bit burr brown DAC's?

My XXV-01D has dual 24 bit Burr Brown DACs

Turborusty

Trey803
08-24-2007, 02:24 PM
My XXV-01D has dual 24 bit Burr Brown DACs

Turborusty

thats cool but I wasn't really asking you. Not trying to be a **** but your answer has no relevance to what i quoted

sdmtnbiker420
08-24-2007, 06:30 PM
They are both great brands, but about equal in terms of sound quality, in my opinion.

I think it comes down to which model are you comparing, and dependent on your individual taste.

Even their amps and subs are pretty **** equal in my opinion.

MDDrew
08-24-2007, 06:54 PM
yes which burr browns do the pioneers use, i know which ones the kenwood uses.

sdmtnbiker420
08-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Pioneer: burr brown 1bit DAC with 24bit resolution

billybrown66
08-24-2007, 08:45 PM

Feel free to elaborate.

MDDrew
08-25-2007, 01:28 AM
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pcm1793.html BB pcm1793

MDDrew
08-25-2007, 01:38 AM
thats also what sony used in 2006 line i forgot the models

adam71
08-25-2007, 06:59 AM
The question of which brand is better is just silly. No offense to the thread starter but all you're going to get is individual opinions. Kenwood fans are going to Kenwood is better and likewise with Pioneer fans. I became a Pioneer fan in the late 80s due the availability of them over Alpine and Kenwood. Therefore I never got to see a Kenwood deck in action at the local hifi shop so I never tried one. By the time Kenwood was more readily available I had already fallen in love with the Pioneer sound. Since then I've tried Eclipse and Alpine but always went back to Pioneer. There is NO real better brand as it's all opinion and personal preference.

On a side note: I would really like to know what Pioneer uses in their 24bit headunits. Some say they're 1 bit with 24 bit resolution while others say they're 24 bit. But really all that matters IS the RESOLUTION so it's really a moot point anyway. Alpine used 1 bit regulated converters for years and I don't remember anyone HATING the sound of their headunits.

luvinthebass
08-25-2007, 07:54 AM
They are pretty close, especially at the price point you mentioned. Just go for the one you like the looks of and has the features you want.

indeed

my old pioneer was about the same price as my kenwood that i have now, only thing with the kenwood is i haven't had any ground or alternator wine;)

zSnb
08-26-2007, 02:17 AM
i dont understand why people complain about pioneers being hard to navigate. you press one big knob to enter the menu, then you turn that knob to navigate through options......how is this so hard? 90% of the options on the unit can be accessed without even needing the assistance of the manual.

Justintoxicated
08-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Whichever has rubberized knobs FTW :P

onedigit
10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pcm1793.html BB pcm1793
Wow these Burr Browns are only $2.10 each?! Why doesn’t everyone use them? How can this be considered premium at such a low cost?

It doesn’t seem right that Pioneer throws in a two dollar chip and charges a huge premium. What am I missing here?

od

onedigit
10-14-2007, 05:27 PM
MDDrew, what Burr Brown does Kenwood use and how many in the 991 if you know. There is no mention in their product literature.

Thanks,

od

ngsm13
10-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Only pioneers I would choose currently would be the 880, or the P9/ODR stuff...

Other than that, Kenwood Excelon.

nG

MBrock4u
10-14-2007, 08:45 PM
The Excelon's have fabulous sq. I have the X-990, and it is the bomb. A coulple of comments on the other people's posts. Hey turborusty, I would love that 25th anniversary deick too, nice pickup. Dirthhog, like your system setup. I bet that sounds sweet.

adam71
10-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Wow these Burr Browns are only $2.10 each?! Why doesn’t everyone use them? How can this be considered premium at such a low cost?

It doesn’t seem right that Pioneer throws in a two dollar chip and charges a huge premium. What am I missing here?

od

What PREMIUM are you speaking of?? Pioneer decks are not that expensive other than the P9 or ODR. So I would like to know what you mean by premium.

Also, there are many different Burr-Brown chips on the market.

shavenblazer
10-15-2007, 01:26 AM
The Excelon's have fabulous sq. I have the X-990, and it is the bomb. A coulple of comments on the other people's posts. Hey turborusty, I would love that 25th anniversary deick too, nice pickup. Dirthhog, like your system setup. I bet that sounds sweet.

x2 i love mine

79corona
10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Back in the 70's and 80's, Kenwood was known for their amps in the home stereo industry, and Pioneer was known for their amps in the car stereo industry. I usually end up buying Kenwood because you get more for your money over all other brands. Otherwise, I would say it's just a matter of personal preference.

trd_camry
10-19-2007, 11:30 PM
pioneer has high static and its not as clear...but they are friendly user interface.

Kenwood has better SQ...but load time take a couple seconds to play each track. ALso they tend to skip (CDs..not sure of ipod) if you goes on heavy bump.

i have own pioneer and kenwood in the past...and that how i experience with them

04_edge
10-19-2007, 11:37 PM
i regret getting my pioneer, cd's skip wwaaayyyyy to much, it ***** not being able to get full potential out of your stereo because you can only turn it up so far...................

CrossFired
10-20-2007, 12:12 AM
i was wondering, what do you think? I have the kdc-mp435U in mind b/c of all its features and direct in front usb port. but is there a comparably priced ( 125$) pioneer out there? whats better all around pioneer or kenwood, im torn between the 2. ?? Thanks guys.

At that price point I'd say there about the same. Both made in China and good for a couple of years.:)

adam71
10-23-2007, 02:52 AM
pioneer has high static and its not as clear...but they are friendly user interface.

:wow:What static?? I have owned many Pioneer decks over the years and have NEVER had static. Sounds like user error to me.

i regret getting my pioneer, cd's skip wwaaayyyyy to much, it ***** not being able to get full potential out of your stereo because you can only turn it up so far...................

:rolleyes:Again, sounds like some very serious user error to me.

Ignatowski
10-23-2007, 05:53 AM
I agree,Kenwood is better than PIO.......
No skipping,no internal fried RCA grounds,more output and cleaner sound

Try them side by side like I did find out for yourself

adam71
10-23-2007, 11:55 AM
No skipping,no internal fried RCA grounds,more output and cleaner sound

Try them side by side like I did find out for yourself

Anyone can make generalizations based on their personal experiences. Overall, Pioneer wipes the floor with Kenwood.

See. I just made a generalization.

SethPhillips
10-23-2007, 11:57 AM
pioneer over kenwood anyday..... if you have problems with ground loop's and engine noise. you should stop installing.
that's the only down side to pioneer...

Ignatowski
10-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Anyone can make generalizations based on their personal experiences. Overall, Pioneer wipes the floor with Kenwood.

See. I just made a generalization.

They must call you The General :rolleyes:

If your in the position to buy a few HU's and try them
,test them , demo them etc
Then you can come up with your own conclusion,thats not generalizing
thats opinion.........If after listening to my Alpine 9835 or my Pio or my 889
and a few others - I concluded the 889 was superior sounding....
Sold off the left over HU's and rocked on.....Now If I had the time and or energy
I could try a few more and out do the 889 but I dont have the interest like I used too
besides the differences are all very small from this point foward

jblayz1
10-24-2007, 10:21 AM
. . . ive NEVER liked a pioneer interface. . .

x2

another thing i don't like about Pioneer is you can get them anywhere. just doesn't sit right with me.

adam71
11-03-2007, 07:34 AM
They must call you The General :rolleyes:

If your in the position to buy a few HU's and try them
,test them , demo them etc
Then you can come up with your own conclusion,thats not generalizing
thats opinion

This part is your opinion.

This.....on the other hand is a generalization.

No skipping,no internal fried RCA grounds,more output

You're saying that all Pioneer headunits skip and have internal fried RCA gounds which is complete BS. Oh and so is the the MORE OUTPUT part. You must be comparing Excelon to NON Premier Pioneer headunits.

.........If after listening to my Alpine 9835 or my Pio or my 889
and a few others - I concluded the 889 was superior sounding....
Sold off the left over HU's and rocked on.....Now If I had the time and or energy
I could try a few more and out do the 889 but I dont have the interest like I used too
besides the differences are all very small from this point foward

All I can say to this part is that I wish I had the money to throw around like that. Although even if I did I would put it toward something else.

adam71
11-03-2007, 07:36 AM
x2

another thing i don't like about Pioneer is you can get them anywhere. just doesn't sit right with me.

What does that have to do with anything?? Besides, you may be able to get regular Pioneer all over but you can't get PREMIER just anywhere.

DejaWiz
11-03-2007, 10:06 AM
No point in bickering about it.... it's all subjective. Go out and demo the HU's and get whatever has the features you want and whichever you like best.

caligirl2k
03-07-2008, 05:07 AM

:iagree: