PDA

View Full Version : How to increse hole cut out from prefab?

zx12
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
So i ordered a supercrew sound box and the holecut out is 9 1/8 and for the bm's they need 9 1/4. what is the easiest way to do this? just sand down the edges some?

bonesninja
08-20-2007, 04:42 PM
So i ordered a supercrew sound box and the holecut out is 9 1/8 and for the bm's they need 9 1/4. what is the easiest way to do this? just sand down the edges some?

yes
/thread

CaliforniabOY5
08-20-2007, 04:48 PM
yes x2

THUNDERBIRD
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
that or use a jig saw or body saw. or a router with a bigger flush trim bit on it and a smaller bearing.

PatFitz9
08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I would cut out the proper sized ring and clamp it to the box. then use a flush trim bit to make the cutout.

WantedIsHere
08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
x2 on the router, if u dont have one use a jig saw

InhumanAcura
08-20-2007, 06:17 PM
I would cut out the proper sized ring and clamp it to the box. then use a flush trim bit to make the cutout.

you would have to cut the ring in half in order to get the ring inside the box. unless the box has a really large face and you plan on using your router on the inside of the box. which would be interesting to see.

if you wanted to use a ring you could buy a template bit..

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITESIDE-No-3022-3-4-CARBIDE-TEMPLATE-ROUTER-BIT_W0QQitemZ330154212521QQihZ014QQcategoryZ50387Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or just a plunge bit and let the non-fluted part off the bit ride on the template..

you ultimately would have to move the clamps to make a complete circle aswell..

id just use a dremel tool, sander, or a jigsaw..router is way overkill imo.

WantedIsHere
08-20-2007, 06:21 PM
i think the application its self eliminates the possible use of a ring... He is working in a tight space i would assume from the box choice...

InhumanAcura
08-20-2007, 06:26 PM
i think the application its self eliminates the possible use of a ring... He is working in a tight space i would assume from the box choice...

i dont think they read the pre-fab part or something.

if it were just a precut circle on a piece of mdf, a rabbeting bit would be the way to go. ultimately, the flush-cut bit isnt really the tool to use.

W8 a minute
08-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Cut a hole the size you want into a piece of wood. Screw the piece of wood to the outside of the box, over the original hole, with screws that line up with your woofers screw holes. Then use this bit to cut the circle larger:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/whiteTJ/25556-md.jpg

Let the bearing ride on the piece of wood YOU cut while the bit cuts the box below it. no need to move the clamps and you have a perfect circle. (if your circle is perfect). Now remove the piece of wood and mount the sub in the box.

I think this is what Matt360 is saying..but I'm not sure.

IamDeMan
08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Use a drum sander and be done with it.

InhumanAcura
08-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Cut a hole the size you want into a piece of wood. Screw the piece of wood to the outside of the box, over the original hole, with screws that line up with your woofers screw holes. Then use this bit to cut the circle larger:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/whiteTJ/25556-md.jpg

Let the bearing ride on the piece of wood YOU cut while the bit cuts the box below it. no need to move the clamps and you have a perfect circle. (if your circle is perfect). Now remove the piece of wood and mount the sub in the box.

I think this is what Matt360 is saying..but I'm not sure.

yup, thats a template bit :)