PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Vs Alpine Vs Eclipse

lyttleviet
08-20-2007, 03:27 AM
880, 980, 9887, 7100... Gear is in the sig. Goals = SQ, not going active, speakers may be going in kicks and tweets in a-pillar (no rearfill). It has to have some type of form with the function since it is going into a showcar.

Any other suggestions are fine as long as price is reasonable. No clarion thats 900 bucks because I am just not looking to spend that much money at this time.

Thanks for all the help guys!:)

adam71
08-20-2007, 04:05 AM
880. It has a less cluttered appearance than the others mentioned.

lyttleviet
08-20-2007, 04:41 AM
880. It has a less cluttered appearance than the others mentioned.

What about the noise issue... I am looking for something that will perform and not give me problems.. A simple aesthetic point of view won't convince me to buy the 880.

lyttleviet
08-21-2007, 02:19 AM
:yumyum:

genxx
08-21-2007, 05:38 AM
My first pick would be the 9887. From the reviews it seems to be on par with the older Alpines. It offers everything you need to go active. The 9887 also adds in the imprint. My second pick would be the CD7100 it offer the same basic features as the 9887. I do like some of the feaures on the 7100 though 8v pre-out and usb. I think the 9887 would have a better ipod interface.

So I don't think you could go wrong with the 9887 or 7100.IMO

Another deck to look at for the bang for the buck like the 880 is the DXZ775USB. No noise issues like the pioneers, you just have to get past the looks.

Yes, I had the 880 was a good bang for the buck deck but did not prefer it to other things on the market.

Babs
08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Yep.. I'm pretty much genxx's parrot on this one. Though if you're not going active.. the 980 / 9800 is pretty cool if for anything the bluetooth capability and could possibly hang with the other top pics for output SQ but not fine-tuning SQ.

bjayjr5679
08-21-2007, 06:01 PM
i like my cda-9887 but i had to read a ***** load to understand the **** thing and still dont understand most of it yet (eq bands) but i do like it now that i search the forum and understand the crossover. But i am biased i have only owned alpines so essentially this is a worthless reply to your post. :wow:

lyttleviet
08-22-2007, 12:47 AM
went ahead and ordered the 9887 since I am happy with the 9885 in my daily driver.

supa_c
08-22-2007, 12:53 AM
I personally liked my eclipse h/u's as far as sound goes over my pioneer 940mp and my Alpine 7998 and 9855.
Eclipses dont need DSP to sound good

lyttleviet
08-22-2007, 03:36 AM
I personally liked my eclipse h/u's as far as sound goes over my pioneer 940mp and my Alpine 7998 and 9855.

lol if they got rid of the noise from 1-10 I would have stuck with my cd7100

///M5
08-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Tunability is what is going to define the sound. For the noob, the 880prs will smoke the others.

Babs
08-24-2007, 08:58 AM
My first pick would be the 9887. From the reviews it seems to be on par with the older Alpines. It offers everything you need to go active. The 9887 also adds in the imprint. My second pick would be the CD7100 it offer the same basic features as the 9887. I do like some of the feaures on the 7100 though 8v pre-out and usb. I think the 9887 would have a better ipod interface.

So I don't think you could go wrong with the 9887 or 7100.IMO

Another deck to look at for the bang for the buck like the 880 is the DXZ775USB. No noise issues like the pioneers, you just have to get past the looks.

Yes, I had the 880 was a good bang for the buck deck but did not prefer it to other things on the market.

Haven't read a definitive SQ output comparison (regardless of TA and Xover and EQ processing with the 775 to the others..

I wonder how it hangs for just pure CD audio output compared to the burr-brown units? The price is nice.. yeah if you can get over the looks.. shooooo! :D

99StangGt
08-24-2007, 09:13 PM
That DXZ775USB is butt ugly to me and I can not stand buttons for volume control. I have had a couple of clarions, 9255 and a 835mp. Loved the 9255 but was not impressed at all with the 835mp. I want to try the 9887 but just cant seam to get rid of my 9835 for it. The next deck I get will be either a 9255, 9887 or Eclipse 8053. hey Babs when you going to get a 9887?

andytb
08-24-2007, 09:15 PM
pioneer!!

adam71
08-25-2007, 06:39 AM

You say that like ALL Pioneer decks have noise issues. I personally have NEVER owned a noisey Pioneer headunit.

And I've owned many of them.

genxx
08-25-2007, 07:14 AM
I did not say all anywhere in there. I never had any noise issues either with my 880. Still does not change the fact that so many have experienced the dreaded Pico Fuse Pioneer problem. Its a design flaw but most people that have the issue because its user error or not understanding the issue and how to avoid it before they make the mistake. There are many threads on this topic and many to help users not make the mistake.

It is a problem on the Pioneers period. Just do a search on here, DIY, ECA and others.

I did not say all nor mean all Pioneers but there are several models with the noise issue and way more than there should be.IMO

I still do not see the word "all" anywhere in there. Okay thanks.

Here is a good discussion on the Pico Fuse topic:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13889&highlight=Pico+Fuse

adam71
08-25-2007, 07:58 AM
I did not say all anywhere in there. I never had any noise issues either with my 880. Still does not change the fact that so many have experienced the dreaded Pico Fuse Pioneer problem. Its a design flaw but most people that have the issue because its user error or not understanding the issue and how to avoid it before they make the mistake. There are many threads on this topic and many to help users not make the mistake.

It is a problem on the Pioneers period. Just do a search on here, DIY, ECA and others.

I did not say all nor mean all Pioneers but there are several models with the noise issue and way more than there should be.IMO

I still do not see the word "all" anywhere in there. Okay thanks.

Here is a good discussion on the Pico Fuse topic:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13889&highlight=Pico+Fuse

I NEVER said you meant it in any way. I just stated that you said it like you meant all of them.

No noise issues like the pioneers,

You tell me what that is supposed to mean. Or better yet tell me how you think others would take it. The 3 words "like the pioneers" implies that you're generalizing ALL Pioneer headunits to have noise issues.

Anyway, don't take offense because I didn't mean any. As a Pioneer guy I will be the first to admit that Pioneer has NOT helped themselves in the public's perception of their reliablility.

genxx
08-25-2007, 08:45 AM

Here is the full statement which if cut out the rest of it then it can be interpreted the way you have suggested.

Yes, If I had written only the bolded area with out the first sentence then yes you have a valid point and I would agree.

If you check out the link you will see there are other Pioneer models with the same issue. I like Pioneer and I will probably run a P9 Combo as my next set-up. People should be aware of the issues with the Pico Fuse so they don't make the same mistakes others have made.

No offense taken I just wanted to clear up that I was not talking about all Pioneers since it was being perceived that way. Which, I think I have cleared up any misunderstanding of how the statement was intended.

supa_c
08-25-2007, 10:33 AM
give it a rest adam
you always get your ******* in a bunch over stupid *****

adam71
08-25-2007, 05:28 PM
give it a rest adam
you always get your ******* in a bunch over stupid *****

I can't really see how this concerns you but if you feel you have to jump my **** over it then get in line.

BTW, my ******* were NOT in a bunch. We weren't arguing.

supa_c
08-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Nothing pioneer related ever concerns you.
You just feel the need to comment on every negative thing anyone says.
Its getting old and no one gives a rats ***.

adam71
08-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Nothing pioneer related ever concerns you.
You just feel the need to comment on every negative thing anyone says.
Its getting old and no one gives a rats ***.

Yet you felt the need to chime in.:rolleyes:

The only thing that bothers me is generalizations. Period.

genxx
08-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Me and adam are good. I never saw it as a big deal. We where just having a discussion and we where both still putting out information along the way. I did not want this to turn in an argument nor do I think adam did either. We both made our statements and in the end it appears everything worked out fine.

I have not been on here long enough to know if there is some sort of history between you to so I am out of anything else that goes on in this thread.

adam71
08-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Me and adam are good. I never saw it as a big deal. We where just having a discussion and we where both still putting out information along the way. I did not want this to turn in an argument nor do I think adam did either. We both made our statements and in the end it appears everything worked out fine.

I have not been on here long enough to know if there is some sort of history between you to so I am out of anything else that goes on in this thread.

No, it's cool. I can't say there is ANY history or bad feelings between me and Supa. I just tend to be argumentive at times. He's been around a long time as I have so he's seen a lot on this forum. No big deal.

supa_c
08-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Yet you felt the need to chime in.:rolleyes:

The only thing that bothers me is generalizations. Period.
:terrible:

Babs
08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
That DXZ775USB is butt ugly to me and I can not stand buttons for volume control. I have had a couple of clarions, 9255 and a 835mp. Loved the 9255 but was not impressed at all with the 835mp. I want to try the 9887 but just cant seam to get rid of my 9835 for it. The next deck I get will be either a 9255, 9887 or Eclipse 8053. hey Babs when you going to get a 9887?

Another testimony why I wish Clarion would get some head units between their low-end stuff and their flagship. Seems to be a HUGE gap between the 9255 and everything else they sell.. in my humble opinion.. For clarion SQ and buildQ, it's the 9255 or nothing at all it seems.

On me getting a 9887.. I'm in a holding pattern.. The wife and I have been figuring out what to do with her car (04 Sienna XLE.. If interested I've got a nice clean one for sale).. But we've been even considering her taking my roll (07 Forester XT Ltd) and it being replaced with something else after the van sells, so until we get it worked out, I'm on freeze pattern for HU's... I'll be slowly accumulating amps and other stuff as I can but this car thing has my car-tunes fix in a bigtime slump. But I was even still considering the PXE-H650 (with the similar tech as the 9887) but still leary about the SQ in comparison to stand-alone mid-fi SQ-ish head units.

Babs
08-27-2007, 09:11 AM
And on the pioneers.. I still wouldn't rule out an 880 myself.. I think I read more about people talking about ground or noise issues a whole lot more than people that actually sure enough have some noise issue... I think that thing has blown way out of proportion, via story-distortion.

Johny knicked his thumb... told someone, who told someone else... by the time the 50th person was told, Johny had cut his leg off. It was hot one day... global warming. :)

Plus... PPM (parts per million)... How many 880's are out there playing beautifully compared to the numbers of issues? How many other brands with issues, in comparison.

I'd have no problem owning the 880.

6spdcoupe
08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Coulda asked Gordon to contact Kevin for his Nak. :)

lyttleviet
08-28-2007, 02:59 AM
Coulda asked Gordon to contact Kevin for his Nak. :)

ah, I didn't hear anything about a nak being for sale. I just went with the 9887 and am waiting for imprint to be released. I wanted to try it out and so far I like the HU, just wish it was motorized @ this price point.:veryhapp:

Edit: maybe I did I just didn't get a price.