PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Ford Fusion?

cj232
08-19-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm in the market for a new car and I'm really interested in the Fusion. When it first came out I didn't really like it. But it grew on me and the SEL AWD V6 seems to be a hell of a car by reading and watching videos of the reactions of people who have driven it. Mostly in the aspect of handing (which is most important to me in a vehicle)

Anyway, anyone here ever drive one or even own one???

Eugenics
08-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Where are you watching these video's?

Anyway i think they're pretty decent cars. But if you can afford it i'd step upto the new taurus. I never thought i would say this, but i think they're great cars.

I'm sure they'll depreciate bad though, so i'd buy used and let someone else take the loss.

theCybe
One beat me from a roll 15 to 45mph. Which ******.

Still don't like the car; It's a Ford, man -- and I'm not really the one to join that bandwagon, but the car doesn't seem to have any soul.

theCybe
** I don't know if they still make an SHO Taurus, but if you hafta have a Ford, go that route.

Eugenics
08-19-2007, 10:14 PM
One beat me from a roll 15 to 45mph. Which ******.

Still don't like the car; It's a Ford, man -- and I'm not really the one to join that bandwagon, but the car doesn't seem to have any soul.

Toyotas dont really either though, and they're still good cars. Not really passion inspiring. It's not all bad.

cj232
08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Where are you watching these video's?

Anyway i think they're pretty decent cars. But if you can afford it i'd step upto the new taurus. I never thought i would say this, but i think they're great cars.

I'm sure they'll depreciate bad though, so i'd buy used and let someone else take the loss.

www.fordchallenge.com

And I searched on youtube also.

Calikid
08-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Chevy>Ford

jmanpc
08-19-2007, 10:18 PM
My dad worked for a mercury dealership and I drove the Milan a lot. It's basically a dressed up Fusion. I couldn't find much I didn't like about it. It was quick, it handled excellently, it was comfortable, and the interior is very nicely done. It's definitely worth a test drive.

Eugenics
08-19-2007, 10:22 PM
www.fordchallenge.com

And I searched on youtube also.

You're not really taking those video's seriously? If ford gives you plenty of free food, shirts, etc. and lets you drive their car then someone elses you're probably going to have good things to say too. Not to mention there could be 10 people out of a hundred that actually had a good thing to say, but you'd never know that. Because fords not showing you the customers that weren't satisfied. And they're sure not putting those video's up on youtube

It's an advertisment... simple as that.

Read reviews, comparison reviews, etc.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0512_family_sedan_comparison/

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0510_ford_fusion/

It's based on the mazda 6, which is a solid car.

cj232
08-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah I thought about that too... Thanks for those links!

mapolley07
08-20-2007, 12:43 AM
I haven't gotten to drive one or ride in one, but I have heard nothing but good things about the car. I heard it is very reliable and fairly fun to drive. I really wouldn't mind having one, and the price isn't too bad either.

I would go for the AWD option though, and drop down to basic sound and what not since that will all be yanked out right away and replaced. (you are on this forum after all, so its a safe assumption)

theCybe
08-20-2007, 04:03 AM
it's too new to be reliable.

Homossaywhat?
08-20-2007, 04:08 AM

+its a ford

Eugenics
08-20-2007, 04:11 AM

mazda 6's have been fine.

theCybe
08-20-2007, 05:24 AM
See me in a six 27 times before you ever saw me in a Fusion. :)

audiobahnuser18
08-21-2007, 04:18 AM
My friend owns a fusion and i have also drove one there an ok car but i mean if you plan on building up alot of performance. don't get one go with a nice mustang:D. but there an ok car i think for the price they have good handling. my friend right now getting his ready for a db drag next year one Fi audio BTL fully loaded 18 with a Re xxx comp set upfront a 100.2 sundown to power it oh and so much more were workn on its in the works:D:).

audiobahnuser18
08-21-2007, 04:18 AM
My friend owns a fusion and i have also drove one there an ok car but i mean if you plan on building up alot of performance. don't get one go with a nice mustang:D. but there an ok car i think for the price they have good handling. my friend right now getting his ready for a db drag next year one Fi audio BTL fully loaded 18 with a Re xxx comp set upfront a 100.2 sundown to power it oh and so much more were workn on its in the works:D:).

WantedIsHere
08-21-2007, 04:25 AM
ford=poop

go get yourself a saturn ion or chevy cobalt...

Louisiana_CRX
08-21-2007, 04:44 AM
I own a couple of fairly new Fords....I have an 07 Focus ST...and an 06 Saleen Mustang...both have been great cars...I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ford product...I'm considering trading in my 06 Tacoma Sport on a new 07 Saleen Truck....:)

Ferendon
08-22-2007, 03:35 AM
** I don't know if they still make an SHO Taurus, but if you hafta have a Ford, go that route.
No new SHO just yet. The 2 options that have slated are the 3.5 Duratec, and 2 snails, or a souped up version of the 4.4 V8 in the Volvo XC90.
More info here (http://www.bringbackthesho.com)
I'm a big time SHO enthusiast, and I own 3 older ones. And no Gen 3s. That was a huge mistake on Ford's part.

Old stigma. You apparently know nothing about the vehicle you're talking about. I work with 4 different Ford dealerships on a daily basis, and I'm friends with several higher-ups in the dealerships, and some that work for Ford directly, as well as a few Autonation Execs.

The Fusion is built of the 6 platform, as stated above, and has proven to be quite a car. If you're planning on a system in it, there's a few concerns I can bring some light to. The door sill and kick panel are one piece. It breaks a clip EVERY time it is removed. I have done this on probably 300+ Fusions. There's the metal clips that are underneath the door seal, which grab onto plastic tabs on the bottom of the door sill, which will often cause stress marks when you remove the panel. The upper part of this piece has a locking clip that snaps off and falls into the body of the car. I have had only ONE car that didn't do this. Also, the knee bolster is held on by 4 of the same clips that I mentioned falling off into the body of the car. If you know how to remove this properly, it can be done without breaking any of them... Most of the time. There is no sure-fire way to remove it without breaking it. I've talked to a couple of Ford techs about it, and even they have told me that they have found the same to be true. This is something that is repeated throughout the entire vehicle. The plastic tab rarely breaks off, usually just the copper-colored clip that slides on to it. If it sticks into a body panel, you can remove it, and reinstall it where it belongs, and it should seat back properly, without much fighting.

Mechanically speaking, the Fusion is one of the cars that makes the fewest appearances on the service drive. The new Taurus is an awesome car, BUT, it's much more expensive, and at the moment they are carrying a pretty consistent market adjustment. There's even quite a few out there that have no pricing info on the window sticker, just the options and packages. To be honest, they are also difficult to find in many colors. The Taurus is the safest car built at the moment, but starts just under $30k. The Fusion can be had, with a reasonable discount, for about $18k. If you're looking for the V6 SEL AWD, you can expect $23-$24k, reasonably equipped. Base MSRP is about $24k. The SEL comes with leather, but I believe the SE can be had with just about all the same options, but has a 50/50 black cloth interior with red stitching, that looks pretty **** good. There's also a nice lip kit available for it, that you can get for about $700 with some haggling, that really sets it off nicely.

theCybe
08-22-2007, 04:11 AM
Old stigma. You apparently know nothing about the vehicle you're talking about.

I know it's ugly, and that I wouldn't buy one. :blackeye:

I work with 4 different Ford dealerships on a daily basis, and I'm friends with several higher-ups in the dealerships, and some that work for Ford directly, as well as a few Autonation Execs.

:wowflash:

there's a few concerns I can bring some light to. The door sill and kick panel are one piece. It breaks a clip EVERY time it is removed. I have done this on probably 300+ Fusions. There's the metal clips that are underneath the door seal, which grab onto plastic tabs on the bottom of the door sill, which will often cause stress marks when you remove the panel. The upper part of this piece has a locking clip that snaps off and falls into the body of the car. I have had only ONE car that didn't do this. Also, the knee bolster is held on by 4 of the same clips that I mentioned falling off into the body of the car. If you know how to remove this properly, it can be done without breaking any of them... Most of the time. There is no sure-fire way to remove it without breaking it.
Mechanically speaking, the Fusion is one of the cars that makes the fewest appearances on the service drive.

So it's got a cheap interior, which is historically a Ford move (both the 06 stang I drove as rentals had horrible interiors, so I don't imagine they've improved) and it doesn't come in for service much.

My first guess is that it doesn't come in for service much because of the people who buy the car. It's not a spirited driver's car, and generally speaking, people with brand loyalty toward Ford that isn't built entirely around the Mustang, are not 'enthusiasts' by any measure.

Unless being old counts as enthusiasm. What is the average age of the Ford consumer including and excluding the Mustang, anyway? Retirees aren't into lip kits.

I just don't get it .. they're not cars I think of when I think of good cars. :shrug:

Eugenics
08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
It must be great losing a thousand dollars a unit.

Ferendon
08-22-2007, 11:47 PM
You'd think that Ford buyers are the older crowd, but not really. The older crowd usually buys the SUVs and trucks. I've seen alot of 20-somethings buying Fusions. Other than the interior, they're good cars. The Focus on the other hand...

jmanpc
08-23-2007, 12:18 AM
So it's got a cheap interior, which is historically a Ford move (both the 06 stang I drove as rentals had horrible interiors, so I don't imagine they've improved) and it doesn't come in for service much.

My first guess is that it doesn't come in for service much because of the people who buy the car. It's not a spirited driver's car, and generally speaking, people with brand loyalty toward Ford that isn't built entirely around the Mustang, are not 'enthusiasts' by any measure.

Unless being old counts as enthusiasm. What is the average age of the Ford consumer including and excluding the Mustang, anyway? Retirees aren't into lip kits.

I just don't get it .. they're not cars I think of when I think of good cars. :shrug:
Nowadays, it's hard to find a car whose interior isn't cheap, both foreign and domestic, unless you're willing to drop some cheese. Pretty much every car I've been in thats under $30k have plastic interiors. It doesn't bother me so much, so long as it's comfortable.

It's sad to see such a stigma attached to Ford, that it's just an old person's car. Again, I drove the Milan on several occasions, and I have to say... it looks good, its handling is excellent, it has great acceleration for a car of its size and price, it is reliable, it's fun to drive, it's comfortable, it's roomy, and it is priced well. I'd take it over an accord any day of the week. I was driving my dad's accord a few weeks ago... now there's a car with no soul. srsly.

Ford is really trying to appeal to the younger generations, hence the Fusion, the Edge, the SVT Focus, and the Escape. All of which I think outclass their competitors... they just don't have... street cred... you know what I mean. But give Ford some credit... they're trying. I think they're doing a darn good job.

Ferendon
08-25-2007, 09:10 PM
The SVT Focus was perhaps the most mechanically unsound car ever created by Ford. The motor was tough as ****, but the clutch and trans problems, as well as belt driven accessories where horrible. To be honest, as far as interior quality goes, The new Honda and Mazda vehicles actually have very good materials and construction. They both use softer materials that don't stress too easily, and the types of clips and pins they use, tend to hold strong, but release easily when done right. I can have both kicks and side panels for the center console off of a 3 or a 6 in a matter of about 30 seconds, with little to no effort. But if you just tried to yank them off without pulling the clips out, you'd have a good bit of a fight ahead of you.

2002XLT
08-25-2007, 09:19 PM
i like em, test drove one and they are a good car, for the price you cant really beat it IMO, friend just got one for about 15, lower end model, but its still dam nice. If i had to buy a new car, it would be one to look at.

troy_audi0
08-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Debaged it would be ok..

Ferendon
08-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Debaged it would be ok..

Says the guy with the riced out Dakota.

phantom240
08-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Thoughts on the Ford Fusion?

It's a Ford car. It can't be that spectacular. Oh and from what I've heard the crash tests on those things ****** so bad that Ford had to go and redesign the entire structural aspects of the car, and its fellow comrades that use the same platform.

Eugenics
08-25-2007, 10:36 PM
It's a Ford car. It can't be that spectacular. Oh and from what I've heard the crash tests on those things ****** so bad that Ford had to go and redesign the entire structural aspects of the car, and its fellow comrades that use the same platform.

So?

See the 5 series side impact tests lately? Doesn't make it a bad car.

phantom240
08-25-2007, 10:55 PM
no, but is surely is something to consider.

Ferendon
08-27-2007, 07:24 AM

Ford Fusion safety ratings (http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2006&make=Ford&model=Fusion)

Ford has done things that most people don't even realize they've done. The original Koenigsegg CCX was powered by a Ford engine. There's an Aston Martin V12 that is essentially 2 Duratec V6s, with a common crankcase. They had a hand in the design of the 6-speed automatic in the new Z06. It's the same basic design used in the new Taurus. Since Chevy opted for the power tunnel setup, they need a transverse style gearbox, so they made a joint-venture out of it, and it's about as close to bullet proof as one could ask for. Just because it's a Ford doesn't make it crap. Granted, they've made some ****** cars in the past, and they still do, i.e.: Ford Focus. Structurally speaking, the F-150 is the best truck available, with the new Tundra a close second. One of the most common differentials used in VERY high-HP cars, is the Ford 9 inch. I'm sure you can list lots of credentials for other brands, as can I, and by no means is Ford my favorite brand. Since I started working so closely with them a while back, I have been somewhat impressed with the quality, especially as compared to what I expected from them.

FineLinePimpin
09-28-2007, 12:03 PM
The fusion is a very safe car..and as far as compairing it to a Cobalt, nnow thats funny. Cobalt is STILL a fuggin cavalier and yes it still *****. I know of three people who have traded them in after 10-18 months because the **** things were just falling apart. The v6 Fusion runs pretty **** good and handles very good for what it is. Not very pretty but the Milan makes up for that if you are a girly girl and only into style. Steeda is also coming out with some mods for the car. Even with a re-tuned ecu and the steeda CAI kit the **** things are running GOOD numbers for a smaller american 4dr. Yeah the new Saturns MIGHT look better but tis still a Saturn. For the price and what ya get its a great car. Also Steeda is coming out with a roots type blower for them. Build your own new age SHO albeit with a fusion.

19psi
09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
go drive it and a bunch of other cars that you like in the same price range and buy whichever you like to drive the most...

SPYDERTUNE
09-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I was in 2 different Fusions as insurance rentals for nearly 6 weeks. One was had a higher trim level than they other, one was a 4-cyl. and the other a 6-cyl. They were both great drivers as far as handling and braking and the mileage off the 4-cyl. impressive for the size of the car. Acceleration better off the 6-cyl. but not bad off the 4-cyl. As a commuter, I could have been perfectly happy with the smaller motor. The interior is nicely laid out but the upper trim model had bogus carbon fiber trim that looked really cheap. I liked the base interior better. I'd buy one.

cj232
10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
:uhoh:

bump for more input?

lowriderram_95
10-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Its a ford stay the hell away

2002XLT
10-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Its a ford stay the hell away

i hope your not saying that with the dodge in your avatar....:crap:

sundownz
10-02-2007, 05:10 PM
My dad worked for a mercury dealership and I drove the Milan a lot. It's basically a dressed up Fusion. I couldn't find much I didn't like about it. It was quick, it handled excellently, it was comfortable, and the interior is very nicely done. It's definitely worth a test drive.

I agree... I'm not a Ford fan at all... and I liked that car when I drove it.

99grandprixGT
10-02-2007, 09:41 PM
have you checked out the G6's from pontiac.

Max_Power
10-03-2007, 01:36 AM

granted it was a rental, but when my brother rented a G6 to take him from toledo to green bay, he had nothing but bad things to say about the seats.

they were uncomfortable and stiff.

he said they were supportive though.

Just a thought :)

I personally liked the fusion I sat in, never drove one but the interior looked well laid out and designed.

bannock
10-09-2007, 04:23 PM
i worked at hertz and they had fusions. Its a comfy car thats has alright options but performance wise they arnt anything great. we had the automatic version and when you floor it ( ahem, not that i have or anything....) the car doesnt want to shift properly. you have to take your foot off the gas for it to shift. Sound system isnt too bad though, for stock :)

I also have bad thoughts on the g6

Ferendon
10-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Build your own new age SHO albeit with a fusion.
Apparently, you don't know **** about SHOs. They weren't boosted, and they have a much better torque curve than the Duratec.

i hope your not saying that with the dodge in your avatar....:crap:
Word...

This is also a very good point...

92SC300
10-12-2007, 03:19 AM
from what I hear they are great cars

:fyi: