PDA

View Full Version : Repairing rusted brake line?

THXdts
08-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I went to Advance Auto Parts to buy a piece of 1/4" or something close steel brake line and some fittings. Someone helped me get some compression fittings and such, but they must be the wrong ones, because I put it all together, tighten it down, and it's leaking out of the fittings :verymad:. Can someone send me in the right direction and give me a link to somewhere where I can buy new stuff? Thanks.

Ferendon
08-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Did you flange the ends on lines? Did you seal the threads on the fittings? Fitting brake line is not an easy job. When you cut it, you have to almost leave it too short. Just barely. So that when it's flanged and fitted, it's a very snug fit with the fittings, so that the flange will pull into the seal.

As far as sealing the threads go, I wouldn't do it. That's why I asked. Some people use Teflon tape, which can actually have an effect opposite the intended purpose, due to the fact that those fittings are soft enough to slightly distort and leak. Is it leaking from the threads, or from the back of the fittings?