PDA

View Full Version : $500 for alarm!?!?!?

Matador
03-06-2003, 07:39 PM
i went to an alarm place n they told me $500 installed for a clifford 2 way pager alarm (they sell for $200 at ebay) i was like **** dude, it's like a $250 for installation.

so now i am gonna do it myself, but i heard it's hard tho. i don't need the remote start, i only need unlock/lock, trunk release, starter disarm, n some other goodies, hopefully w a 2 way responder/pager.

Level of difficulty from 1 to 10 (10 being hardest), how hard do u guys think it is? (car already comes w unlock/lock, trunk release)

CarAudioAddict
03-07-2003, 02:01 AM
If your car already has lock/unlock I'd rate it about 6.5

The hardest part (especially on new vehicles) is making sure that everything gets powered. My car needed an extra 3 relays on top of the alarm, to power everything that needed it (ecm, ignition system, cooling fan) no big deal, but would have been easier without it - too many wires and no specific color code.

Isuzu95
03-08-2003, 12:12 AM
I'm not an expert but I feel the hardest part is knowing the wires of the car that you need to use. I played around a lot with my alarm so now I have a better understanding of how it works. I have a 2way pager alarm and there's so many features you can use so I know what you mean, but overall not that difficult. Rating: 5

Matador
03-08-2003, 03:06 PM
so u guys suggest i get 2-3 more relays? what kind.

n then, i was thinking of putting a small extra backup battery, u know so that if they disconnect the battery the alarm would keep going off n the guys would have no clue, nice huh? how would i do this anynoe?

eengrms
03-10-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure about the battery issue, seems more trouble than it is worth. If they can disconnect your battery they can disconnect the siren and lights just as easily.

As for the alarm issue- hooking up the remote start feature is by far the easiest part. I would rate that a 5/10, but only if you have an accurate color code system for your vehicle. There really are only 6 or 7 extra wires that need to be hooked up more than just the alarm (ACC,12V,IGN,Starter,GND,Brake,Tach), and all at the same place. Whenever I do a starter install I can go from scratch to being able to start the car with the remote in about 5 minutes, the rest of the time is farting around with the piddly stuff. You will probably need a relay for your domelight, possibly two for your door locks, and maybe even one for your trunk (probably not though). Depending on the system, you may need an additional one for the starter disarm. One thing you need to be aware of is if you need to get any bypass modules, that may be one reason for such a high cost from the shop. They may know something more about your car then you do. What make/model/year is your vehicle? Overall I would give the system you are going for a 6/10 (8/10 if you need a bypass module of some sort).

Matador
03-14-2003, 02:21 PM
2k honda accord 4 door.

www.angelfire.com/falcon/matador.

yeah iwas wondering bout the bypass n stuff, i "think' i have a factory alarm, or at least that's whats supposed to be called.

eengrms
03-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Matador
yeah iwas wondering bout the bypass n stuff, i "think' i have a factory alarm, or at least that's whats supposed to be called.

Well bypasses are used for more than just alarms. You may have a "smart" chip key sytem that requires one. Honestly, of all the cars I've ever worked with, I've never worked on a Honda Accord. So I don't know what they have. Hopefully someone will be able to help you here. If not go back to the place that gave you the estimate and ask them what all is involved, I'm sure they would tell you if you needed one.

*edit* Oh and it might be worth mentioning that you'd only need the "key" bypass modules if you plan on putting in the remote start portion. The alarm bypasses would be needed only if you want to deactivate the factory alarm. You don't necessarily need anything if you just want to add a new keyless-entry alarm system. You can leave the old alarm in place as long as it's not an active auto-type system where it arms automatically. Basically if you have a keychain for control you won't need anything. It really is a car-by-car decision.

Matador
03-16-2003, 04:22 AM
coo coo thanks. yeah i might prob need one of those key bypass things. i think the newer hondas have chips on the keys.