PDA

View Full Version : head unit blowing my speakers??

94toy
08-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I have a 94 Toyota pickkup. I recently installed a Dual CD receiver. After installing it, the rear right speaker went out and then after about 4 weeks or so, the fronts went out as well. Today my left rear speaker has been coming and going.

Is it possible that my head unit is blowing the speakers? The specs on the head unit are: 17 Watts RMS x 4 channels at 4 ohms; signal to noise ratio: 80dBA.

I'm pretty sure the front speakers are the original speakers that came with the truck but the backs are not. I'm not sure how long they've been there.

I'm thinking of buying new speakers but I want to make sure that the speakers are indeed the problem.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

AgEnT
08-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Its possible but unlikely to blow aftermarket speakers with a headunit thats only putting out 17 rms each speaker.

94toy
08-14-2007, 09:40 PM
do you think buying new speakers will fix my audio problems? I have no Amp in the truck, just the new head unit and speakers....and now I'm down to one speaker.

AgEnT
08-14-2007, 10:28 PM
check:
speaker connections (might have fallen out)
wire connections behind deck

you could test the "blown" speakers in the slot that is playing.

Speakers usually dont just stop playing. If they blow, you will hear distorted sound for a long time when they try to play. Good luck.

hemiscott
08-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Idk, if it were me, i would junk that dual and start from there.

Prob. your speaker connections..

Railrocker
08-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Idk, if it were me, i would junk that dual and start from there.

Prob. your speaker connections..

x2 its probably the cd playe thats fugged up not the speakers. Did they start crackling, smell bad or did they just quit?

94toy
08-15-2007, 08:02 AM
x2 its probably the cd playe thats fugged up not the speakers. Did they start crackling, smell bad or did they just quit?

The just quit playing. No crackling sounds or smells. They just stopped playing...I forgot to mention that the tweeters up front are silent as well.

If the connections are good then is it possible for the head unit to be bad??

SlamSession
08-15-2007, 08:28 AM
You would have to know the impedance of the speakers. To find out you would have to get a multimeter and measure the ohms or impedance of the speakers. While you're at it check for proper connections. Chances are you are going to have to buy aftermarket speakers that are rated to operate at 4 ohms. Don't buy Component Speakers, unless you plan on purchasing a 4 channel amplifier. The vehicle is around 13 and a half years old, so unless the speakers were changed, that's how old the speakers and speaker wires are. If you log on to Crutchfield.com their website will ask you info on your vehicle, like year and make and model and it will show you the speakers that fit in your Toyota's door and stuff. For example for your front doors Crutchfield.com suggests the Alpine SPS-13C2 for $90.00 or the Alpine SPR-13C for $150.00 both of those models are rated at 4 ohms impedance, which is what your head unit was designed for. The main difference between those two models is that the 13C2 handles 35 watts RMS(root means square) and the latter handles 90 watts RMS. Many car audio manufacturers show you whats called the Peak Power Handling and that can be misguiding to a novice. The reason is because what Peak Power Handling really means is what a speaker can handle in one short burst of power. So what we all have to look for is Continous Power Handling. Prolonged use at Peak Power will blow the speaker.

94toy
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
For example for your front doors Crutchfield.com suggests the Alpine SPS-13C2 for $90.00 or the Alpine SPR-13C for $150.00 both of those models are rated at 4 ohms impedance, which is what your head unit was designed for. The main difference between those two models is that the 13C2 handles 35 watts RMS(root means square) and the latter handles 90 watts RMS. Many car audio manufacturers show you whats called the Peak Power Handling and that can be misguiding to a novice. The reason is because what Peak Power Handling really means is what a speaker can handle in one short burst of power. So what we all have to look for is Continous Power Handling. Prolonged use at Peak Power will blow the speaker.

So since the head unit is rated 17 watts RMS x 4 then speakers rated at 20 -35 Watts RMS is good for me to install without any problems?

AgEnT
08-15-2007, 09:14 PM
yea but its prob not the speakers. if they didnt sound bad/make smells its 90% the connections on the deck or speakers or wiring. of course its a good idea to upgrade to aftermarket speakers, just make sure everything is in order.