PDA

View Full Version : Diesel guys come on in!

Intrepid Bass
08-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm sort of new to the diesel scene but I'm wondering what company out of these two:

www.bankspower.com

www.bullydog.com

Would be best. Or if you know another post it.

The truck is an '05 Chevy Duramax crew cab w/ an Allison tranny. It would mostly be used for pulling jet ski''s, boats, and an occasional heavy trailer. It would be ice to have the power on tap when needed. Basically a package that will make the truck fast when I decide to put it on the track, and still reliabe for daily.

Kawasaki STX-R
08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
i guess you're not worried about the warranty, huh?

i know a lot of the dodge guys really hate banks. but there are a lot of other companies out there, too. i dont have any experience with any myself as i dont want to void my warranty (and the fact that my truck just doesnt really need any more power) but i know a few of the others that are well like are quadzilla, smarty (mads), and edge. (dont know if they make products for the LLY or not though sorry.)

i'll probably get the quadzilla commander in a couple weeks instead of analog gauges.

Intrepid Bass
08-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reply.

YGPM.

Silver
08-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Edge performance is a really good programmer and is what most guys run when they are TOWING. Also it does not void the GM warranty.

Plug and play interface.

CRAZYCORNUTS18
08-17-2007, 11:56 PM
bullydog is really good i had one on my 4-door dodge ram 2500 i wasnt reeally sure if it was going to work but it did WAY better then i thought A+ i say

dbhittin
08-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Edge Performance!

Ferendon
08-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Propane Injection FTW.

genxx
08-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Banks, Bullydog and Edge all make a good proven product. Banks has been around for ever and is one of the pioneers of Diesel performance.

If you just want some improvment and not looking to go crazy I would look at:

These are tried and true engine tuners Edge Juice w/Attitude, RBP Eliminator Programmer, Banks 6 Gun, Bully Dog PMT or Triple Dog Combo, Hypertech Power Programmer and HyperPAC

Proven Intakes: S&B Cold Air Intake, Banks Ram Air system, Bully Dog RFI, AFE

Proven Exhaust: RBP Exhaust, Banks Monster Exhaust, Bully Dog Rapid Flow. Might also check and see if Gibson's makes an exhuast for your truck.

The RBD stuff is excellent with out the super high price of Banks and Bully Dog.
If you want to go big power all out then start looking at the Propane Injection and get ready to upgrade other stuff.

I am not saying these things I have listed are the end all be all just giving you some stuff to look at. I like the RBD and S&D stuff. 8 Lug mag just did a write up the RBD sutff on a Duramax. With the RBD Eliminator and Exhaust the finals numbers looked good they added 147hp and 257 lb-ft of torque for $1400. That should be plenty to get you moving.

jonnybusa
08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm sort of new to the diesel scene but I'm wondering what company out of these two:

www.bankspower.com

www.bullydog.com

Would be best. Or if you know another post it.

The truck is an '05 Chevy Duramax crew cab w/ an Allison tranny. It would mostly be used for pulling jet ski''s, boats, and an occasional heavy trailer. It would be ice to have the power on tap when needed. Basically a package that will make the truck fast when I decide to put it on the track, and still reliabe for daily.

I have a buddy thats had both systems on his F350, and the bullydog stuff made more power and torque for him. Hi's also added propane injection, and is actually pushing 770rwhp, and 1250rw lb/ft tq. Its an absolute animal. It has 6 stages of power, and the 1st is just a step above stock, and the 6th will fry the tires for hundreds of feet. Its actually a monster, and will desroy alot of cars on the street.
Bullydog all the way!!

gmac95
08-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Most of my buddies have went with Edge and love it. Easy to install and great user interface.

Drew'sZ
09-04-2007, 08:17 AM
I would check out http://www.sctflash.com/
There programmers change the engine and trans. settings.
From what i have heard they are one of the best.

dru
09-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Anyone else think the subject was gay?

anyways gluck with what youre doin

QtrHorse
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I have a buddy thats had both systems on his F350, and the bullydog stuff made more power and torque for him. Hi's also added propane injection, and is actually pushing 770rwhp, and 1250rw lb/ft tq. Its an absolute animal. It has 6 stages of power, and the 1st is just a step above stock, and the 6th will fry the tires for hundreds of feet. Its actually a monster, and will desroy alot of cars on the street.
Bullydog all the way!!

I call bull$hit, I know just about every high HP Ford diesel person. There are only a handfull of guys in Fords that make that kind of power.

Bank stuff will offer you the most safety but not the most power and is always the most expensive. Bully Dog will offer a lot of power but possibly sacrifice damage to the motor, excessive EGT's (exhaust gas temps.) There are a lot of other options I would go with. If you just want a little more power on tap, I would go with an exhaust, intake possibly some fuel mods and EFI live programming. I would personally stay away from propane, it can cause rods to break/ bend if your not carefull. Call a few of the places below for the best deals and they are all good people and will sell you what you need, not what you think you need.

Elite Diesel (http://www.elitedieseleng.com/)

Mc Rat Racing (http://www.mcratracing.com/)

D2 Performance (http://www.d2hiperformance.com/splashPage.hg;jsessionid=FAB454C959881DDBA01401C14 CAE04A8.qscweb19)

DPPI (http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/mfg_details.cfm/mfg_id/3)

dbman150
09-15-2007, 02:36 PM
I would check out http://www.sctflash.com/
There programmers change the engine and trans. settings.
From what i have heard they are one of the best.

a little fyi you cant change the trans setting on a allison i had one the most power you well get with that truck and trans combo is 650 take the trans away and its almost unlimited

MisterGrubbs
09-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Intrepid I'll be honest with you, I'm not liking a lot of these reponses. Some are good and some people are suggesting what they know, so I'll do the same.

I myself had an 03 Duramax, and I purchased the PPE. I have the PPE Hot +2 Xcellerator and although the power was amazing, I wouldnt suggest it. Just tore **** up.

If I had to do it again, Edge with Attitude or Banks 6 Gun with power PDA is the way to go. With the PDA you get the speedloader and man I'll tell you, you can do some nice stuff with that.

And FYI to those who were saying "you must not like your warranty" if you go to Ford or Chevrolet or Dodge most of them have an "approved" list, or at least around here they do, for "Safe" chips which they dont mind. Edge and Banks are both one, and the PPE is definitely not. Keep in mind when choosing, as well, that Banks and Edge both rate WHP, not power to the fly like many other companies do. The PPE I had is rated 350HP and over 600ft lbs of torque to the fly, lots of smoke and pretty **** crazy. I blew my truck up and was starting to have problems out of the transmission - so keep things in mind as you play hard.

MisterGrubbs
09-19-2007, 10:09 PM
And in regards to Bullydog vs Banks vs Edge vs Quadzilla.

Bullydog and Quadzilla are both great, reputable companies, but with the features you get and the power you get form the Banks or the Edge it's more than worth the small price difference. With the BullyDog you have a "Crazy Larry" setting that is tons of power and smoke, but if you dont like smoke(which plenty of people prefer to stay away from) the Edge has an option to turn it up or turn it off.

I personally get the Edge with Attitude juice, if I still had my 'Max and had it to do all over again. You can also get an overhead holder that replaces where your little folder is up top in the center of your roof and mounts the Edge up right there.

Make your own decisions you'll get plenty power out of all of them but in my honest opinion(and seeing PLENTY of diesels blown up) the Edge and the Banks 6 Gun with power PDA are the safest of the systems out.

And correct me if I'm wrong, Banks was originally created around the Cummins motor - and I've never known anyone to run the Banks nad not like it in a Cummins.

twisztdpunisher
09-19-2007, 10:58 PM
It depends on how much you want to spend.
I have a 2500 duramax king cab its an 2004,
in the last month i have put a programmer on it, new intake and a 4 inch exhaust out of the cats.
I personally like hypertech's programmers because if you need warranty work done you can unprogram your truck and take it in and they never know. i have had to do that once already.
the intake does help a whole lot as well as the exhaust. so depending on how much money you want to spend, you should go intake programmer then exhaust. that all cost around $1500 for my truck

millerscents
09-19-2007, 11:28 PM
taken from extreme 4x4 show

Banks Power
6.6L Duramax with 785hp and 1300 ft lbs torque.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/sites/xtreme/episodes/XT.php?ep_num=XT2007-15&ep_m=September

QtrHorse
09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
I myself had an 03 Duramax, and I purchased the PPE. I have the PPE Hot +2 Xcellerator and although the power was amazing, I wouldnt suggest it. Just tore **** up. If you choose to play, you have to be prepaired to pay. That is the part people don't understand about making a car put out more power than it did from the factory

And FYI to those who were saying "you must not like your warranty" if you go to Ford or Chevrolet or Dodge most of them have an "approved" list, or at least around here they do, for "Safe" chips which they dont mind. The dealership can deny your warrany for any modification you do to your truck. Did you know that if you put an aftermarket lift on a vehicle it can void your complete warranty? You really need to check with the dealership your buy the vehicle from. Sometimes the dealership will actually sell and isntall the items for you. If they do, they will cover the warranty in most cases. Like I said before, if you want to keep it safe, stay with the Banks or Edge stuff (I don't think I listed Edge earlier but they are somewhat safe in the lower programs).

Edge and Banks are both one, and the PPE is definitely not. Keep in mind when choosing, as well, that Banks and Edge both rate WHP, not power to the fly like many other companies do. The PPE I had is rated 350HP and over 600ft lbs of torque to the fly, lots of smoke and pretty **** crazy. I blew my truck up and was starting to have problems out of the transmission - so keep things in mind as you play hard.

Just remember, the more smoke you make, the less fuel your are burning. That equates to high EGT's which will kill a motor. The modded trucks that do not smoke much are the ones that were built correctly.

And correct me if I'm wrong, Banks was originally created around the Cummins motor - and I've never known anyone to run the Banks nad not like it in a Cummins.

I'm sure it was first build for the old 5.9 motors because they were the first that people really started to mod. I know plenty of people who do not like Banks stuff on Cummins. It works well but is not something normally used when extreme power is wanted/ needed. You will not find sled pullers or real track trucks that normally run Banks stuff.

taken from extreme 4x4 show

Banks Power
6.6L Duramax with 785hp and 1300 ft lbs torque.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/sites/xtreme/episodes/XT.php?ep_num=XT2007-15&ep_m=September

That show lies about most everything and remember, it's TV.

One thing to remember about modding any vehicle and especially a diesel truck. The diesels make sick torque which will make almost any stock tranny die if a lot of power is put through it. To truelly build a high HP diesel and for it to be reliable, you will need to drop at least $15-$20K into it.

Like I said, if your just looking for a little extra power, get an exhaust, intake and either Banks or an Edge programmer. Do not constanly drive around with them on the highest setting either. You will be surprised at how much extra power your truck will have with it just on the 60HP setting. Try finding a gas motor that you can add a chip to that will raise the HP 120HP by just turning a switch.:up2somet: I keep mine on the 80HP setting and it is a blast to drive. I can just tap the pedal and it will lunge forward doing 70 MPH on the highway. Also remember, do not tow with it in the high setting either.