PDA

View Full Version : Cutting

jdeaton
08-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Just started on my box, and my first cut is about 1/16" off.... 1/8" in one or two spots. Do i need to recut, or is it not a big deal?

mtlhead
08-13-2007, 02:25 PM
somebody didnt account for the size of the blade

i personally would recut...but im **** about that kind of thing, you probably could get away with it as long as all the pieces fit properly

jdeaton
08-13-2007, 03:11 PM
its really pissing me off. I just cant keep it lined up perfect and all my cuts are off. On top of that my saw just drains batteries so i cant even cut now. ****

BJ The Man
08-13-2007, 03:18 PM
factor in the blade width next time.

for now just use a file, sand, or cut down the big pieces.

for the small ones either re cut them or use lots of glue and screw it in tight.

mlstrass
08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
If it's low spots you can mix glue with sawdust for those spots to fill it in and also use screw to draw it tight. Just make sure to pre-drill the holes. Add a good bead of caulk around the inside when the box is done and you should be fine.

Are you using a guide to make your cuts? If not clamp down a straight piece of 1x2 or a long straight edge as there's NO way you can freehand cut straight enough. Then just run your saw along the guide...

jdeaton
08-13-2007, 05:00 PM
well i dont have anything to use as a guide. Guess ill just go slow and hope for the best. Stupid saw drains batteries... i get like 4 20" cuts per battery and the saw and batteries are new! WTF

BJ The Man
08-13-2007, 05:07 PM
you should find someone with a table saw or go to home depot/lows, etc. and have them cut it. they have done great jobs for me and it doesnt cost much.

ebrunn
08-14-2007, 03:31 AM
If just using a basic movable table saw, like a Dewalt one, how precise can you get with the cuts? I measure correctly, and take into fact the width of the blade but my cuts are a little off each time?

danp129
08-14-2007, 04:03 AM
well i dont have anything to use as a guide. Guess ill just go slow and hope for the best. Stupid saw drains batteries... i get like 4 20" cuts per battery and the saw and batteries are new! WTF

Cut a 3 or 4 inch x 8 foot strip out of MDF that has a smooth factory edge. Then use wood clamps to clamp that small strip to the sheet, leaving the smooth factory cut to butt the saw up against as a guide.

http://www.raisetheranch.com/blog/january06/cutting.jpg

Joseph K
08-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Get you a plug in saw also... ;). Batteries **** for anything that has to do a sufficient amount of work. Also, about getting Lowes to make your cuts, they only guarantee them to within 1/4", so what I would do is give them all your cut sizes and add maybe 1/4" or 1/2" to them and you can refine them when you get home. This will keep you from having to make the really long cuts.

Joseph.

jdeaton
08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
well i got all the cuts done yesterday evening... used almost all of a 4x8 for a 2.2 cube ported box lol but i got them all within a 1/16th of a inch. Put the box together today, and added woodfiller to the countersink holes. Tomorrow it gets sanded and a coat or two of bedliner

MemphisCherokee
08-15-2007, 12:09 AM
this is why i keep a joiner around, if a piece or two are off by an 8th jsut fun em thru that
problem solved