PDA

View Full Version : is the installer serious?

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 02:51 PM
ok i called the guy i got my subs from and told him i wanted a custom box built. vented to treo's specs,,ok he told me it would cost around 300 plus parts. when i said wtf for a box he told me they spend hours on a pc getting the box just right for my dimensions and application. does that sound about right? and its most likely just 3/4 mdf

Tonyguy
08-12-2007, 02:56 PM
That's a lot. Have someone one the forum build it for you.

hoxie08
08-12-2007, 02:58 PM
haha that guy is full of crap. they are stupid if they would start from scratch...manufacturers (as you said) publish specs and whatnot for consumers to build their own boxes...most likely they would just go and look them up.

85Caprice4d
08-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I guess it COULD be okay, if you agree to pay for labor. It sounds like they may be over calculating. All you should need is some math skills, a pencil, some paper, and a calculator to design a good box.

Then again I know people who design on computer before hand, but still, 300? 3/4 mdf i have seen for $20-30 a sheet, so I think its a bit much....

plus parts? what, a terminal is a couple bux

wow i got beat to it //edit

southstylestang
08-12-2007, 02:59 PM
i agree. just have someone on here build it for you and you could pay shipping. even after all that you would still get out cheaper then him i bet. but the only way i could think hes coming up with $300 is he prob thinks you mean custom like made to fit your trunk with custom amp racks and all that.

xplicitACTS
08-12-2007, 03:04 PM
i could build you one if you want to meet in Tunica to pick it up.

How many woofers is it for.....and what vehicle is it going in.

i could for less than that price with no problem.

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 03:08 PM
no i think he was just talking about the box,,no amp racks or panels or nothing. i mean if he is going to do a custom trunk set up then i dont think that is that bad but 300+ for just a rectangle box ?

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 03:12 PM
the treo says it needs per ssi sub

1.75 cu ft net, 16 sq in vent,
16.5 in long, F3=28 Hz

Prowler573
08-12-2007, 03:15 PM
no i think he was just talking about the box,,no amp racks or panels or nothing. i mean if he is going to do a custom trunk set up then i dont think that is that bad but 300+ for just a rectangle box ?
If all you'd be getting was a traditional enclosure for $300 +..'parts'?? wtf?? it would be a ripoff for sure.

If you were getting some kind of fiberglassing specific to your trunk's contours/dimensions then I'd say it sounded about right. Maybe a bargain, even. :)

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 03:18 PM
If all you'd be getting was a traditional enclosure for $300 +..'parts'?? wtf?? it would be a ripoff for sure.

If you were getting some kind of fiberglassing specific to your trunk's contours/dimensions then I'd say it sounded about right. Maybe a bargain, even. :)

nope,not fiberglass,,he said it was high due to the hours that would have to be put in to it

WhoSayWho?
08-12-2007, 03:21 PM
I think you know the answer my friend. The guy is trying to shaft you.

Prowler573
08-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Tell him to take a flying fvck at a rolling doughnut then.

$300 + nothing would get you teh awesomeness from pretty much any of the respected enclosure "gurus" here on the forum....including shipping more than likely!

Keep your money, shop elsewhere.
/story

tyler_fitz
08-12-2007, 03:23 PM
parts... dont forget screws, glue, carpet/vinyl/paint! either he charges a lot per hour, or he is slow as hell...

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 03:29 PM
i mean im sure i could build it if i had dimensions that said this side is this long and that side is that long,,lol

Immacomputer
08-12-2007, 03:40 PM
It takes me about 20 minutes to go from picking the enclosure specs to drawing it up to custom fit a vehicle.

I would call him and ask him how much he would charge to just build it if you gave him a design spec with a cutsheet and everything.

xplicitACTS
08-12-2007, 03:42 PM
pM sent iam guessing it is going in the Aero?

andytb
08-12-2007, 03:44 PM
thats pricey it better be carpeted

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 04:00 PM
It takes me about 20 minutes to go from picking the enclosure specs to drawing it up to custom fit a vehicle.

I would call him and ask him how much he would charge to just build it if you gave him a design spec with a cutsheet and everything.

if i had that im sure i could cut the mdf and i can read about bracing and baffles,,i would like them to be flush mounted

xplicitACTS
08-12-2007, 04:05 PM
replied.

THUMPPER
08-12-2007, 04:13 PM
that is more than I charge for my single woofer enclosures

I design mine with Termpro and they have flared painted
ports that are fiberglassed and carpeted with a double baffle
and bracing if needed....

my enclosures make the sub POUND like a mother *****
they are designed with the right port velosity to hit
hard with no port noise

the guy is trying to buy a new house with this sale

AudioAnonymous
08-12-2007, 04:48 PM
One of my buddies has built hundreds of boxes over the years.It takes him about 15 minutes to build a 2 12" ported box to DD specs (which he uses for every woofer he sells. Sounds good and LOUD too). That's with carpeting it also. So HOURS is kinda pushing the envelope.

THUMPPER
08-12-2007, 05:03 PM
it takes me on the average of 12 to 16 hours of actual work time
depending on if it is a single or double woofer enclosure
(not including paint and fiberglass curing time) to build a really nice box..
I build mine with a 1/32" tolerance on all cuts and corner to corner

I can tape a couple of shoe boxes together and slap a sub into it in
about 15 minutes

AudioAnonymous
08-12-2007, 08:06 PM
it takes me on the average of 12 to 16 hours of actual work time
depending on if it is a single or double woofer enclosure
(not including paint and fiberglass curing time) to build a really nice box..
I build mine with a 1/32" tolerance on all cuts and corner to corner

I can tape a couple of shoe boxes together and slap a sub into it in
about 15 minutes

If that was a rip on my post. Your not even close.

CRAZYCORNUTS18
08-12-2007, 08:08 PM
talk to bjfisher

toyrunner
08-12-2007, 08:14 PM
hey bj fisher did a box for me about a year ago, it looked good & POUNDED .

Pyro_By_Nature
08-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Most shops WILL try to rape you on "custom" (non pre-fab) boxes.

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 09:19 PM
i looked at bjfish's site and a box like i want would cost at least 200 from him without shipping

THUMPPER
08-12-2007, 09:27 PM
If that was a rip on my post. Your not even close.

a rip on what??? close to who???

sorry man but you completely lost me

ngsm13
08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
That's on par with costs from custom shops.

Keep in mind, this is not an individual doing this on the side... with them making all the money on it. It's not even a individual who does this as a business of sorts.

It's a retail shop.

If it takes them a day to to build the box. Figure $50 in materials (wood, glues, staples/screws, caulk, carpet). Paying a guy $15/hr or commission to build the box (so, ~$120 for the employee building it). Then the shop needs to make at least equal that for it to be worthwhile... and to go towards tool upkeep and investment. So figure ~$250 labor and $50 materials.

That's the deal with B&M shops. For a ported box for a pair of 12's... carpeted... at my shop in would b $200-300. I build boxes rather well and quickly though.

nG

Qbenjamin
08-12-2007, 09:39 PM
One of my buddies has built hundreds of boxes over the years.It takes him about 15 minutes to build a 2 12" ported box to DD specs (which he uses for every woofer he sells. Sounds good and LOUD too). That's with carpeting it also. So HOURS is kinda pushing the envelope.

:bsflag:

You are greatly over-exaggerating. It takes at least an hour to completely build a box AND carpet. It's always the "My buddy"......

Chevyaudio
08-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Like Noah said, that sounds about on par with what shops will charge. Now the whole bit about him spending ours on the computer...thats either a lie, or he is the slowest designer ever. It usually takes me about 20min to calculate volume, port length, port area, and tuning frequency, then about another 10min to render it in sketch-up, and even if the customer wants F3 and other parameters I can put it in BBP6 or Win ISD and get those in a few min as well. SO an Hour at Most on the computer.

For a standard rectangle 2 12" box (assuming its for everyday subwoofers, and not SPL style or anything that would require extra bracing and the like) At the shop I would probably charge 200, and we are a small shop. Thats just a bare box though. Add 30 for carpet, 100 for bedliner, 150 for paint.

ngsm13
08-12-2007, 09:48 PM

You are greatly over-exaggerating. It takes at least an hour to completely build a box AND carpet. It's always the "My buddy"......

INdeed.

nG

AAckley1
08-12-2007, 09:48 PM

werd.

i dont even think i could draw out the cuts and make them in 15 minutes because I'm a lazy stoner.

ngsm13
08-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I have simple ported designs with a cut-list done in 15minutes.

nG

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 09:50 PM
so hell i should see what he is really talking about

JeepSound
When I went in and talked to the guy at our local shop about bulding me a 2ft.3 box for a single twelve he told me after carpet and labour it would be about 300. ngsm hit it with his post. The shops need to make money off of this.
I built my last 3 boxes for a total of $50, that includes glue, screws, and a circle cutting tool ($30). Now mind you, I got the wood for free, so that helped keep the cost down.

Chevyaudio
I have simple ported designs with a cut-list done in 15minutes.

nG

simpleton.

SRim23
08-12-2007, 09:51 PM
i looked at bjfish's site and a box like i want would cost at least 200 from him without shipping

im pretty sure his prices on his site include shipping. i could be wrong but i think they do.

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 09:53 PM
im pretty sure his prices on his site include shipping. i could be wrong but i think they do.

if thats the case id be more willing to buy one

SRim23
08-12-2007, 10:01 PM
if thats the case id be more willing to buy one

yeah if you look under the products page, product pricing says it includes shipping. ive never gotten a box from him but alot of people on this forum rave about them. ive never heard a bad thing.

id get one from him but i have alot of extra time on my hands so im going to attempt my own box making. probably get one in a couple weeks when i fail miserably at it lol not a craftsman at all!!!

ngsm13
08-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Meh.

nG

Qbenjamin
08-12-2007, 10:23 PM
I support professionals and their shops by all means, but something so simple and as a forum member, I would suggest that you take the time to learn how to do it yourself. I understand that a shop has to make money in order to stay open. Now if you were talking fiberglass, then I would say just cough up the dough, as that task is not so noob-friendly, and relentless if you make a mistake.

lil azn 06
08-12-2007, 10:31 PM
$300 is nothing.... I was quoted $700 for a box for a DD 3512 and I'm just talking about a 3/4 MDF box. He told me he would put resin in it, and some bedding crap around the box to make it "indestructible". Then he tells me since i am a "loyal customer" he will do it for $500. I mean wtf i just walked into the store for the first time and I'm already a loyal customer?

tonkpils
08-12-2007, 10:36 PM
i sent an email to bjfish and i guess ill see what he says

ngsm13
08-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok.

nG

NeverEnuffBass
08-12-2007, 10:49 PM
That's on par with costs from custom shops.

Keep in mind, this is not an individual doing this on the side... with them making all the money on it. It's not even a individual who does this as a business of sorts.

It's a retail shop.

If it takes them a day to to build the box. Figure $50 in materials (wood, glues, staples/screws, caulk, carpet). Paying a guy $15/hr or commission to build the box (so, ~$120 for the employee building it). Then the shop needs to make at least equal that for it to be worthwhile... and to go towards tool upkeep and investment. So figure ~$250 labor and $50 materials.

That's the deal with B&M shops. For a ported box for a pair of 12's... carpeted... at my shop in would b $200-300. I build boxes rather well and quickly though.

nG

Shop I worked at got $120/hr for custom work. A nice custom box taking 5 or more hours =$$$

Worlddre
08-13-2007, 11:43 PM
price sounds about right for an enclosure from a shop...i know i charge people who come in the shop between 250 and 300 for your average ported box as i need to make a living too

Fattony911
08-14-2007, 01:02 AM
hmmmm...

bbb543
08-14-2007, 01:07 AM
The local shop i went to (no longer in business) wanted 250 for a box. i laughed and politely said nevermind.

audioholic
08-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Legit or not, the guy needs a better excuse. Saying you spend hours getting the design just right on the computer, only to build the customer a simple square box, looks like you dont really know what you are doing. Lets face it, any simple tuning program and drafting software will allow an experienced to design a straight-forward ported box in less than hour, or something is wrong.

Although I guess the average guy would prolly just hear 'computer designed' and open his wallet. *shrug*

Worlddre
08-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Legit or not, the guy needs a better excuse. Saying you spend hours getting the design just right on the computer, only to build the customer a simple square box, looks like you dont really know what you are doing. Lets face it, any simple tuning program and drafting software will allow an experienced to design a straight-forward ported box in less than hour, or something is wrong.

Although I guess the average guy would prolly just hear 'computer designed' and open his wallet. *shrug*

you would be surprised