PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Installing New head unit on 1990 Chevy Silverado

wild_bean5
08-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I am getting quite confused on what to do.

Here's what I'm dealing with: 1990 Chevy Silverado, Factory sound (CDM box, casette player), A JVC head unit (not installed).

I've been scouring the internet for information for hours and am not turning up anything good.
I would like to know where to tie in the JVC head unit.

I was thinking that would be on the cdm box, but i cant find the color code for that anywhere.

There are 2 connectors on the cdm:
The first has 6 wires: black,brown,yellow,red,orange,white
The second has 9 wires: tan,white,red,black,orange,lt. blue,gray,black,lt. blue

I know that the second connector goes up to the tape player, and i figure the first is power (or the black, yellow, & red wires at least)

I cant find where the actual speaker wires are plugged in either.

I've looked at common gm color code lists and nothing seems to match up:crazy:

I just need somewhere to start from, so any info is welcome!

Bake
08-10-2007, 09:47 PM
It has been a long time since I did an install in one of those trucks so I don't remember the details. If you don't get an answer here do a search or register at Fullsizechevy.com and post your question in the audio forum. Someone there will be able to help you out for sure.

SethPhillips
08-10-2007, 10:07 PM
the tuner box for the factory radio is under the dash. there is 3 7mm screw's holding it in. you have to take the plastic piece around the stearing wheel of to get to the 3rd screw. and that's where the factory radio harness and ant are.
you have to fish them up into the center of the dash where the aftermarket radio gose. or extend the wire's from you're factory harness to the aftermarket.