PDA

View Full Version : Trying to pick a HU <= $300...

7evendeuce
08-09-2007, 04:45 AM
You guys must get sick of these threads; I'm somewhat stuck though. I've read everything I could about this, and I still can't make up my mind.

I'm trying to replace a stock tape deck with something that sounds better and can easily interface with my ipod (and play CDs).
I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to these:

Pioneer DEH-P6900UB
Pioneer/Premier DEH-P880PRS
Eclipse CD7000
Clarion DXZ775USB

These are all pretty much in different price ranges (or were, when they were out), but the difference isn't enough to keep me away from some of these.

*The Eclipse and the 880 have no USB ports and are older models..? USB isn't terribly important, as long as the iPod interface works, I suppose..

*I'm not a fan of the 6900's controls after messing with them for a while [the knob feels stiff, weird radio tuning, knob is mostly used for changing volume? or is this configurable?] but I hear it's good. Worth living with?

*People praise the 880PRS sound and I like the controls, screen, look and features; however, it's a slightly older model, may have that fuse problem, and requires an iPod cable (which adds to the total price)?

*The Clarion is a tad ugly and may require an install kit, but people do praise it sometimes. Its SNR is also scary, even though it has a 24-bit DAC?

Also, I can get it and the 6900 locally at a discount..

I'm running stock speakers which are fairly nice and I'm not planning on upgrading the rest of the audio system just yet..

So.. Help? Thanks :)

P.S. A question about the Pioneer 6900 - apparently it requires the "Pioneer CD-I50" USB cable for the ipod to work. Is this any different from, say, the regular iPod USB cable? i.e. is it completely necessary ?

medik13
08-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I have an Alpine 7998 for sale with the Ipod Ainet cable for $300

DejaWiz
08-09-2007, 10:55 AM
The 880 will not just need an iPod cable like the 6900 does, the whole adapter (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fuRyWKfU4PA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130IB100II) is needed.

If you want SQ above all and don't mind the added $50 price for iPod functionality, I'd recommend the 880.

If you want good native iPod support, I'd recommend the 6900 (especially if you can get it discounted and can live with the controls). You will have to buy the iPod cable you mentioned, unless you can get the Premier DEH-P690UB version which comes with it.

7evendeuce
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
The 880 will not just need an iPod cable like the 6900 does, the whole adapter (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fuRyWKfU4PA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130IB100II) is needed.

If you want SQ above all and don't mind the added $50 price for iPod functionality, I'd recommend the 880.

If you want good native iPod support, I'd recommend the 6900 (especially if you can get it discounted and can live with the controls). You will have to buy the iPod cable you mentioned, unless you can get the Premier DEH-P690UB version which comes with it.

Yeah, I guess I meant the adapter. SQ for me has higher priorities than perfect iPod control, as I mostly just need to get a playlist going :cool: Just how slow is the 880 at controlling the iPod?

medik13: thanks, but nah :)

Mustang01
08-10-2007, 04:02 AM
Panasonic off ebay ftw