PDA

View Full Version : Need Clean Sound, HU you like?

w74bronco
08-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Long time reader, first time poster.

I just bought a new 07 Tundra, and the stereo has got to go. I'll be replacing the factory components in front with passive comps, coaxs in the rear, and a single 10" in the rear. All those will happen, but I want to start with a great HU.

I'm most concerned with obtaining a clean signal from my CD's; with a decent amount of tunability. I hear a lot of talk about 24 bit DAC, is that the most important feature in obtaining great sound quality from a CD? I listen to mostly acoustic and country music, so I'm most concerned with a deck that doesn't produce a static background noise when sound levels are low or absent (this is the biggest problem with my factory deck).

I've read a ton of reviews on different decks, but I couldn't find a real articulate guide on the most important attributes in obtaining great sound. Feature wise, I'm willing to sacrifice most any feature to stick with clean sound.

Obviously I've been looking at the top single din units on the market Eclipse 7100, Pioneer 880PRS, Alipine 9887, and Kenwood 991, but I need a little bit more input before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

Latina33
08-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Long time reader, first time poster.

I just bought a new 07 Tundra, and the stereo has got to go. I'll be replacing the factory components in front with passive comps, coaxs in the rear, and a single 10" in the rear. All those will happen, but I want to start with a great HU.

I'm most concerned with obtaining a clean signal from my CD's; with a decent amount of tunability. I hear a lot of talk about 24 bit DAC, is that the most important feature in obtaining great sound quality from a CD? I listen to mostly acoustic and country music, so I'm most concerned with a deck that doesn't produce a static background noise when sound levels are low or absent (this is the biggest problem with my factory deck).

I've read a ton of reviews on different decks, but I couldn't find a real articulate guide on the most important attributes in obtaining great sound. Feature wise, I'm willing to sacrifice most any feature to stick with clean sound.

Obviously I've been looking at the top single din units on the market Eclipse 7100, Pioneer 880PRS, Alipine 9887, and Kenwood 991, but I need a little bit more input before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

I'd recommend the Alpine CDA 7998 for pure SQ and clarity. I have one, and I love it.

whitemax
08-08-2007, 01:43 AM
Nice HU, I've had two of them.

deadkenny64
08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I might as well put in my vote for the 880PRS. I could not be more pleased with the SQ and level of tweaking. I am also a big fan of the look, very ****.:yumyum:

its_bacon12
08-08-2007, 02:07 PM
nakamichi HUs are sweet.

OEM look and incredible SQ

i got the lowest end, the CD-300 and could not be happier with $150 spent

dvrmstrng
08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
i just stepped it up and got an 880....havent heard anything but good things about it and cant wait to get it installed

Tonyguy
08-08-2007, 03:54 PM
If you get serious enough, pioneer P9 Combo. That's what i'm shooting for.