PDA

View Full Version : Audi vs Camry

vvblazers777
08-07-2007, 07:53 PM
What would it take to fit the Camry motor/tranny into the audi considering their the same size? I've seen people put differn't brand race car motors in differnt cars. Help me out guys.

Eugenics
08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
haha wow.

SuperchargedRS
08-07-2007, 08:05 PM
a AWD audi to FWD camry swap? hmm they may look the same size but when you lower the "new" engine in I bet it will be a pain, but sure why not w/ enough $$ I bet you could do it. But if you want that much work why not just do the Dodge neon engine into the vette swap!

vvblazers777
08-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not talking about just switching out the motor and tranny. I have everything for the camry, ignition, alternator, intake, every thing you need. It's just I'm not sure if it would mount right. (Motor mounts) etc.

And to the first replyer, it's either spend about 8k to replace the motor and tranny or try and fit a "Free from a wrecked" camry in. Which would you do?

azbass
08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
What would it take to fit the Camry motor/tranny into the audi considering their the same size? I've seen people put differn't brand race car motors in differnt cars. Help me out guys.

smack your self hard.

vvblazers777
08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
smack your self hard.

I'm asking a serious question and your giving a stupid *** reply. Thanks for the help, next time instead of post dumping try and help someone out.:suicide:

tapout
08-07-2007, 08:24 PM
how did you ruin the Audi?

diminishedpower
08-07-2007, 08:26 PM
in the end youll prob spend just as much getting everything swapped to fit the diff drive plateforms as just getting a new engine

vvblazers777
08-07-2007, 08:36 PM
how did you ruin the Audi?

Hey I don't think its completly ruined. It's just a sensor went out on the tranny where it thinks its in 2nd gear and so it won't start. So have to drop the tranny then the motors been making noises lately. Just figure it might be easier to do a swap but didn't know there was that much work. Thanks guys.

azbass
08-07-2007, 08:42 PM
there is a bad sensor and some noise. so you wana swap a camry motor and crap in there instead. wtf mate?

SuperchargedRS
08-07-2007, 08:44 PM
90% sure the mounts wont line up, it will be easier to just drop the engine/tranny from the audi and rebuild/replace it.

now if you wanted to swap a toyota vvti engine into a lotus elise, I would say no prob (as they use toyota engines) or a matrix engine into a pontiac vibe (same situation as the elise, except the in that case the vibe IS a matrix lol)

However in YOUR case, just rebuild the audi stuff, it will cost you more in $$ and sweat equity that the car is worth to convert to toyota running gear.

Eugenics
08-07-2007, 08:45 PM
in the end youll prob spend just as much getting everything swapped to fit the diff drive plateforms as just getting a new engine

x2, probably more.

QtrHorse
08-07-2007, 08:47 PM
It will cost you more in the long run to get everything to run correctly. You will be much better off fixing the sensor in your Audi. The Audi underside is specific for it's drivetrain. You will have a hard time fitting the drivetrain from the Camry into the Audi.

doyoshuffle5
08-07-2007, 08:50 PM
first off have u even takin it into a shop

they could prolly replace the sensor and find out what the noise is in the engine

would be much easier then a complete overhaul

i had a sensor out in my accord that did close to the same thing
replaced the sensor ran like a charm

doyoshuffle5
08-07-2007, 08:52 PM
thats some heavy work

hope u find what u need to be done

Alpine CDA-9815
08-07-2007, 09:01 PM
It would be easier and cheaper just to take out the Audi motor/trans and rebuild/fix whatever needs to be done. Trying to swap something that was free in there that does not belong there will end up costing you a lot of time, work and a **** load of money.

Louisiana_CRX
08-07-2007, 09:08 PM
It shouldn't be all that hard just get a few mechanic friends several cases of beer and plan a good weekend thing...People have been doing drivetrain swaps for years....Look at Carol Shelby's Cobras....You can put Chevy V8's in Porsches and Jags.....Ford V8's in Miatas...I mean the skys the limit :)

vvblazers777
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I took it to a shop, and none can tell me exactly what it is for sure. For all I know it could be a starter, but about the In 2nd display? I have no idea I thought that is what's causing it? I'm guessing its the tranny sensor from what a few of the guys told me. To the guy above that had this prolbme could you go further in to detail?

Why camry tranny/motor? It was just an idea. One of my buddies from high school crashed his new camry with no insurance on a back road into a ditch and it was done for. So I was going to get the motor and tranny for nothingn pretty much.

Eugenics
08-07-2007, 09:22 PM
might as well find a camry with a blown motor or tranny.

tapout
08-07-2007, 09:28 PM
might as well find a camry with a blown motor or tranny.

agreed

Skip01
08-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Hmmmmm....this shall be interesting to see the outcome

What year are both said vehicles?

toke1234
08-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Not sure. You guys think it could be the starter?