PDA

View Full Version : More of a Mechanic type question

jstbass
08-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Just wondering if anyone on here may be able to give me some insight. I have a Nissan Altima 02. I love my car and I don't drive it like a maniac. However, I recently started noticing a loose sound coming from under my passenger side. It sounds like something is loose and sometimes hits my under carriage. It is the most noticeable on a bumpy road. I don't have time until Sunday to take it to a mechanic but I was hoping someone on here may be able to tell me what I can look for myself. If anyone has had a similar problem let me know what the outcome was. Thanks for any help

tapout
08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
look under it and see?

Racerx250
08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Can you feel it in the gear shifter? If so maybe a transmission mount.

Racerx250
08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm not to familiar w/ foreign cars. But my car had a problem like that.

DeViOuSoNe
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Id bet it is a heat shield. Most likely on the cat, I doubt its a tranny mount on a 01, expecially if you drive it normal

DeViOuSoNe
08-02-2007, 10:29 PM
But need more info, What kind of sound is it?

jstbass
08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Honestly is sounds like a clunking noise under the passenger side floor. Kind of like a rod vibrating and it does it the most when I am going over a bumpy road at a low speed.

DeViOuSoNe
08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Does it always do it though? Even on non bumpy road?

jstbass
08-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Its mainly on bumpy roads. On nice flat ones the car rides pretty good. At first I found out one of my rims had a minor bend in it. I had it fixed and it seemed like the noise was gone but it came right back after a week or so.

Ferendon
08-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Worn outer tie rod, which would add a little slack in the steering. Worn ball joint/lower control arm, would make noise, especially on bumpy roads. Jack up the wheel, grap it at 12 and 6 and rock back and forth. If it rocks here, it's the control arm. Grab it at 3 and 9, and rock it back and forth. If it wiggles, it's probably the control arm. If it does BOTH then it might be a combination of both, or a bad wheel bearing.

FLOSSINON24S
08-03-2007, 12:11 AM
could be a strut

bk12321
08-03-2007, 12:16 AM
after lookin at flossins avatar i lost my train of thought, sorry

Ferendon
08-03-2007, 12:24 AM
A strut wouldn't sound from under the passenger's floorboard...

FLOSSINON24S
08-03-2007, 11:52 AM
no, but the sound could travel the floor pan and sound like thats where its comin from.

Ferendon
08-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Not likely. That would be like saying when your sub hits it travels through the pillars in the cab, and it sounds like it's in the A-Pillar. A strut is very noticeably on the side of the engine bay. Have you ever heard a strut going bad? It's a noise you can FEEL.

jstbass
08-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I had a chance to take it to a mechanic right after work. They could not fix it but they said they would take a look at it since they were closing soon. Anyhow, the guys there told me that it was the strut. They said they had a guy with the same problem and when they replaced the strut it went away. I am not too sure if I think thats the problem, I mean I hope so because it would be cheap. They said that it has to be the strut because it only does it when it has to move up and down, and the noise did decrease when I had someone sitting on that side.

Foglght
08-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Please don't replace one strut. Do both of the fronts.

It can be other things than the strut. If you don't feel any wandering or looseness in the steering, it's either a strut, or somethign loose under the car like a heat shield/exhaust. Trans mount would not likely as the car is front wheel drive and transmission mounts are not on that side of the vehicle.

A blown strut normally has a plastic thumping type of sound.

Ferendon
08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
The tranny mounts ARE to the side of the vehicle. But they're on the driver's side on an 02 Altima.

I never said it couldn't be the strut, but I doubt if that's the whole problem. And doing struts 1 at a time, is very dangerous. As struts wear out, you get used to the handling characteristics of the car. When you suddenly have much quicker response on ONE corner, it will make the car act MUCH different than it has. I'd suggest doing all 4, but if not do at least the 2 fronts. And make sure you get new mounts, strut bearings. They're cheap and you probably don't need them, but again, they're cheap and have to be removed anyways, so you might as well install new ones, just in case.