PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Metal Panels Inside Box?

SirSteve
03-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Has anyone here put thin pieces of sheet metal inside their box? If so, how did you mount them? I really don't want screws showing...

SirSteve
03-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Or what about putting Mirrors in the box instead? The only drawback I see about this is you would be able to see the neon tube in the mirror. The box is a sealed enclose, firing down with a plexi-glass front.

Comments/Suggestions appreciated...

fantomas
03-04-2003, 06:23 PM
you might be able to glue a mirror in...and maybe drill the sheet metal in with 1/2" screws...just short enough as to not go completely through the mdf. why would you put sheet metal in your box..?

Bumpin03
03-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by fantomas
you might be able to glue a mirror in...and maybe drill the sheet metal in with 1/2" screws...just short enough as to not go completely through the mdf. why would you put sheet metal in your box..?

maybe going for a nice metal look to the box?? IMO it would look better having a metal looking back to the box over a wood look. But i think a mirror would look better that way you can see the back of the subs.

SirSteve
03-04-2003, 06:42 PM
I seen a really nice machine-brushed sheet metal/aluminum at Best Buy (they used on their display) and it just hit me that it may look cool inside the box and amp rack, especially with purple neon.

If I go with the mirror, I think plexi-mirror would work best... please keep the suggestions coming as I don't know what would look better.

Thanks

ASDF12345
03-05-2003, 06:22 PM
go to your local custom install shop and tell them you need some aluminum colored laminate. if they dont have it, they should be able to tell you where to get it. its like the stuff the make aluminum dash kits out of. it has a sticky side and you just stick it down.

SirSteve
03-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Not sure if this would be the look I am going for but it's a start. Thanks!

ASDF12345
03-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
Not sure if this would be the look I am going for but it's a start. Thanks!

it sounds like what you described, its a stick on sheet of clear coated brushed aluminum.

SirSteve
03-05-2003, 10:08 PM
I am looking for swirl marks in the aluminum.

ss3079
03-05-2003, 10:10 PM
I dont exactly understand what you are saying, but using steel wool on aluminum sheting will create swirl marks.

- steve

evo2k3
03-05-2003, 11:54 PM
i used aluminum diamond plate inside mine....the shiny **** they use for tool boxes in trucks.....anyways, it looks good, but i would use mirored plexi (you can get tinted assortments) if i was to do it again.

SirSteve
03-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by ss3079
I dont exactly understand what you are saying, but using steel wool on aluminum sheting will create swirl marks.

- steve

It's actually called "machine brushed".