PDA

View Full Version : First Time Installing Head Unit!! Help

jameisonstyle
08-01-2007, 03:59 AM
So I think I'm going to be getting the alpine cde 9881. Either that or the 9883. If anyone can make a discussion on why I should get one or the other please feel free to speak. I'm going to be using this head unit for mainly ipod use, and subwoofer control. I do have aftermarket speakers as well but I only need a 2 pre-out control deck. And I would also like to have one that is able to fold down, but I don't know if I need it, it just looks cool.

I'm trying to still stay in a reasonable price-range. Anything up to 200 dollars for ipod connection. I drive a 98 jeep grand cherokee and this is will be my first time trying to install it myself. I'm wondering if it will be very difficult. I'm going to be installing it in the 98 grand cherokee and im buying the product from crutchfield and they are going to include a free ipod connector, the installation manual, and the converter cable and deck conversion kit. the total amount of items im getting for free is $25. I went to the local store I got the rest of my setup installed at for 880. PG 6.5 component rsd's in the front, rsd coaxils in the back, alpine amp, and jl sub. I'm now looking to complete my system.

They gave me the price quote of $310 with the 9883, and im wondering if thats a good deal. he was saying the wiring kit and conversion for the deck to fit into the original spot was 40 dollars eaech and 50 bucks for labor and he was going to charge me for the ipod connector too. so it shoulda been, 375 total. but ive gone there alot and theyve given me great deals so he said 310. im wondering if i should do it on my own and if the merchandise they are giving me at crutchfield for free is unreliable and it will be difficult to install in my older jeep because many jeep owners say that installing aftermarket speakeres and stuff is diffuclt and thats why i took it to a professsional installer. but now im trying to save money by doing it myself. what do you guys think?

Sorry for the long read, but I wanna know if im in over my head first!
Thanks for all the help! These boards have answered many of my newbie questions!

talz13
08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
It's not a big deal, if you have a few hours or more to work with it. I just did my first install last night / this morning (alpine 9883 in a 94 altima), and it was rather straight forward after I figured out how to wire up the harness that came with it from crutchfield.

Considering I had to remove like half my dash to do this, I would think yours would not be quite as difficult. The crutchfield kit is good, and if you order a unit $129+ the harness is 50% off (mine was $20 insteada of $40, and best buy wanted $60 in parts for their "free install").

Just read the directions carefully and ask questions if you have trouble. Crutchfield's email and phone support is awesome for help with install questions!

pcolasfinest
08-03-2007, 04:52 PM
i just got my 9885 from crutchfield and the harness was free, as was the mounting kit, and the ipod cable....

2002XLT
08-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Not tough at all. If you have some common sense, can read and follow directions you should be good to go. Make sure you get the wire harness for your truck though, its a lifesaver.

pcolasfinest
08-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Not tough at all. If you have some common sense, can read and follow directions you should be good to go. Make sure you get the wire harness for your truck though, its a lifesaver.

yes it is, you can wire it up inside the house if you want, then go out and plug it right in and play, simple as that....