PDA

View Full Version : Crackling noise coming from speakers?

Atimm693
07-31-2007, 10:28 PM
So the other day i was listening to music in my room and i noticed a sort of crackling coming from my speakers, it seems to mostly be coming from my tweets. Im 90% sure that theyre not blown because ive never abused them and my mom who owned them before me never did either. What could be causing this? My receiver is a Teac AGV-8060, the speakers are Yamahas, not sure of the models yet, they are older. My sub is a kicker comp 8 if it matters (soon to be an ascendant audio assain 8) powered by an older kenwood off a PSU gains set accordingly etc.
I am currently using a Psp to play all my music. Could this be the problem? They are all EQed with a BSR EQ which has all setting pretty much flat except the midbass frequencies which i think the yamahas lack alltogether.

Atimm693
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
bump

docutech
08-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I had this problem once. It was with my center channel speaker. During louder vocals and explosions, the speaker would make a horrible cracking sound.

It was blown. :crap:

Atimm693
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
I sure as hell hope these arent blown.

My moms gonna skin me alive because shell automatically think i did it. :crap:

joetama
08-02-2007, 03:05 PM
If you are driving them with an older reciever that could be your problem...

Also, what is your source... Maybe you said it but I missed it.

Atimm693
08-02-2007, 03:37 PM
If you are driving them with an older reciever that could be your problem...

Also, what is your source... Maybe you said it but I missed it.

Source is a psp, my receiver isnt that old, maybe 91-02.

joetama
08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
PSP audio outs are analog right?

91-02 is old... ;)

But, if it doesn't sound too awful then you are hearing distortion, jitter, or some other sound like that.

Do you only hear it on some tracks? Do you only hear it at particular volumes? Certain times of the day? Or is it 100% random?

Atimm693
08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
PSP audio outs are analog right?

91-02 is old... ;)

But, if it doesn't sound too awful then you are hearing distortion, jitter, or some other sound like that.

Do you only hear it on some tracks? Do you only hear it at particular volumes? Certain times of the day? Or is it 100% random?

I meant 99-02, but that doesnt matter. Im not sure what analog means, but its a headphone output that im using.....
Its defienetly not distorting, ill go up and listen to it real quick to see if i can hear it, the other day i just noticed it and kind of shrugged it off, i havent noticed it lately, but i wasnt listening for it either because it definetely is not that loud, i had to put my ear right next to the tweet to see if it was making the noise.

EDIT: Just listened to it and the noise wasnt there that i could hear, maybe its random i dont know. I know the psp has a very ****** sound card in it, very scratchy almost and the tracks on it are mp3s so that further lessens the quality. For now ill call it good because i dont hear it, but ill update the thread if it comes up again.

joetama
08-02-2007, 06:13 PM
It just sounds like you PSP ***** at decoding MP3s.

What kind of Yamaha speakers do you have anyway?

Atimm693
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
It just sounds like you PSP ***** at decoding MP3s.

What kind of Yamaha speakers do you have anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-NS-A635A-Studio-Bookshelf-Speakers_W0QQitemZ250149066728QQcmdZViewItem

Very old, i think she bought them in 93.