PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of the V8 family.

Silver
07-30-2007, 01:19 AM
Well since gas prices are killing me and such. I have been researching on some cars.

I have 16k to spend (findally). I am also going to the GM family. (Hence I work @ a gm stealership). Either use as a downpayment, or pay full and a lil engine modds.

Here are the cars i've been searching. I know some of them require premium, but I don't wanna think about that anyways.

- 06-07 Chevy Cobalt SS
- 00-03 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
- 06 Chevy Mailbu SS
- 05 07 Caddy CTS (3.6 LY7)
- 00-04 Monte Carlo SS

Anyone have these cars or expirenced them? I've only worked on them, don't own them for a daily basis. All of these cars I do not mind working on and know them inside and out.

Just have test driven all of them by far the CTS rides the roughest.

By far the SS Cobalt is my favorite, but I'm not too sure on it for a DD.

What do you guys think?

Also : If you don't have anything nice to say I will rip you a new *******. =)

CRAZYCORNUTS18
07-30-2007, 01:22 AM
cobolt ss all the way

/thread

pickup1
07-30-2007, 01:23 AM
cobalt and put a smaller pulley,more psi!!or the caddy.

Silver
07-30-2007, 01:24 AM
cobolt ss all the way

/thread

Details?

CRAZYCORNUTS18
07-30-2007, 01:27 AM
good mpg ,get black on black and it looks awesome, huge trunk, the battery come stock in the trunk, etc.

Silver
07-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Well if I was gonna do the Cobalt SS I was going to do the stage 2 right off the bat. I have all the Computer programming from GM TIS2Web right here on this computer =) along with a Tech2.

The only thing is I've never driven a TRUE SS, only the cobalt and it was alright. Just no power, thats why I mentioned SS so I never got to drive one.

bibby
Cobalt SS. I love the ways those look.

OR the CTS. You can never go wrong in a lac.

95BlackGA
I'd choose an '00 GTP Coupe. :yumyum:

Ferendon
07-30-2007, 02:38 AM
Cobalt SS Supercharged. As far as a daily goes, that's the best you've mentioned. GTPs are kick *** too, but they're not getting any newer... I've seen a Stage CSS put buses on a cammed 6.0 GTO.

Apokalypz
08-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Go grab yourself an 05' cavalier. It's got the same exact engine as the cobalt plus the chasis is about 300 lbs lighter. From that, all you gotta do is slap on a supercharger or turbo (turbo gives better results on the platform). Then full exhaust to 3". Plullies, headwork, grab a headder, and last but not least a ******* sound system (anything is better than stock). Oh, did I mention, drill yourself a 50 shot of direct-port nitrous oxide. And you're set.

Best thing about the cavalier setup is it's always unexpected to win, but it does.

edit: However, from what I hear, the v6 monte carlo SS is able to handle it's share too. But when you rev it, people know that you've got some serious game under that hood.

smd4life
08-04-2007, 05:04 PM
i wouldn't get a cobalt or a cavalier......

Silver
08-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Well I think I have came to a decision and I will continue to put money into my pot.

Raise it up for a lil more.

Skip01
08-04-2007, 09:05 PM
What about a SRT4.....4cyl Turbo very good TQ at factory and very underrated from the factory as well

Silver
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Its a neon

Eugenics
08-04-2007, 09:18 PM
i would wait for the next gen cts if you can.

CaliforniabOY5
08-04-2007, 09:19 PM
What about a SRT4.....4cyl Turbo very good TQ at factory and very underrated from the factory as well

i friggen hate those cars

Silver
08-04-2007, 09:21 PM
i would wait for the next gen cts if you can.

They are already at the dealer here. They are SICK. 3.6 LY7 DI.

GM beefed up the front and rear and added a little more widebody to it. Its sick, this is why I am adding to my pot - o - money.

photocrazy8
08-04-2007, 09:25 PM
no cobalt, its a gay lil car IMO. Sorta like a neon SRT-4. Except chevy did not do a good job with the mods....

2002XLT
08-04-2007, 09:25 PM
You can buy a lot of gas for 16 grand....

Eugenics
08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
those new V6's are quite stout. i'd go with the cts fo sho.

SuperchargedRS
08-04-2007, 09:31 PM
You work at a dealership and are buying a NEW GM car???
you know how soft those things are almost as bad as a ford or mits

why not go to your used car manager and go to the auction pick up something nice, for that price you could get something ALLOT better then the GM economy car.

I'de go with a toyota or honda product (for a gas saver)

you could get a lexus is300 (the older body style, which looks better IMO) for like 9 or 10k at auction, RWD and good on fuel.

If you want a little car get a few year old S2000, I have seen em go for less then your budget at auction.

armstrong
08-04-2007, 09:31 PM
if you don't mind getting an older car, get a taurus SHO. i absolutely LOVE those cars! get one in decent shape for $2500, get all the bolt ons, and supercharge it and it will run 13's.

SuperchargedRS
08-04-2007, 09:39 PM
if you don't mind getting an older car, get a taurus SHO. i absolutely LOVE those cars! get one in decent shape for $2500, get all the bolt ons, and supercharge it and it will run 13's.

Ih yeh yeh....I'de rather ride the bus, at least I know I will get where I am going.

The american automakers make AWSOME high end RWD v8 cars & HEAVY trucks (not talking 1/2 ton), if you dont want a v8 go to Toyota or honda (keep in mind toyota kicked Gm's azz and now outranks it for US car sales, there is a reason for this)

Tire burning V8s & house pulling trucks ---> GM, Ford, mopar

everything else --> Toyota, Honda

like I said for 16k you could get a late model (99-03) IS300 and still have plenty to spend on stuff for it

or a S2000

or a avalon (maybe even a base model of the newer body style..maybe)

cam XLE

Aucura LS

blah blah blah

Skip01
08-04-2007, 09:46 PM
i friggen hate those cars

I hate you...how bout that Mr.:pissed:

Silver
08-04-2007, 11:41 PM
You work at a dealership and are buying a NEW GM car???
you know how soft those things are almost as bad as a ford or mits

why not go to your used car manager and go to the auction pick up something nice, for that price you could get something ALLOT better then the GM economy car.

I'de go with a toyota or honda product (for a gas saver)

you could get a lexus is300 (the older body style, which looks better IMO) for like 9 or 10k at auction, RWD and good on fuel.

If you want a little car get a few year old S2000, I have seen em go for less then your budget at auction.

I don't want a import. Sorry.

And no, I don't know how bad a new GM car is, explain to me.

Grinder1989
08-04-2007, 11:51 PM
old school car. Pre 1975. Easy to work on and maintain. I wish I had 16K to put in my car.....and my 74 C-10.

Silver
08-04-2007, 11:57 PM
old school car. Pre 1975. Easy to work on and maintain. I wish I had 16K to put in my car.....and my 74 C-10.

I have a 95 Thunderturd already. I'm keeping that and using it as a expirmental car. It will have a 351w EFI to carb swap.:graduate:

Grinder1989
08-05-2007, 12:05 AM
I have a 95 Thunderturd already. I'm keeping that and using it as a expirmental car. It will have a 351w EFI to carb swap.:graduate:

nice. I don't think I'll ever want to own a newer car unless it was rare or exotic. I worked on a lot of these new cars (for someone that isn't a mechanic) and they're a pain in the ***. My car ***** to work on and its an 85. I'd rather pay the gas prices then repair bills.

Qbenjamin
08-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Although you say you have singled down to what's on your list, I would ask you to go and test drive a Infinity G35. You can get an 02-03 for about $16K. Much better in quality than all the cars that you listed including the Caddy.

The G35 will definitely burn the 00-05 Monte Carlo SS. The Monte weighs in @ just over 3500 lbs while the G35 is a wedge over 3K. The Monte pushes 220hp while the G35 Coupe does a bit over 260hp.

The G35 is a bit more of a younger crowd car in contrast to the CTS. I dunno all the specs on the caddy, but that V8 is going to rob you on gas including having to use premium. The CTS is also a FWD sedan while the G35 is rear wheel. You are almost guaranteed to get better take off than the CTS.

I almost choked when one of the other posters said get a Cavalier. Is he serious? That car and the Dodge Neon should not EVER be driven by a male. They are also SLOW AS CHIT. I won't even bother mentioning the other cars on your list, as they in no way even compare to the power and classy style of the G35.

EDIT: The 00-02 GTP's are basically the same thing as the 00-05 SS Monte Carlo, so I will combine the two in comparison.

Silver
08-05-2007, 12:09 AM
nice. I don't think I'll ever want to own a newer car unless it was rare or exotic. I worked on a lot of these new cars (for someone that isn't a mechanic) and they're a pain in the ***. My car ***** to work on and its an 85. I'd rather pay the gas prices then repair bills.

hehe. I love working on the new cars, but I can't stand OBD 1.

Silver
08-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Although you say you have singled down to what's on your list, I would ask you to go and test drive a Infinity G35. You can get an 02-03 for about $16K. Much better in quality than all the cars that you listed including the Caddy.

The G35 will definitely burn the 00-05 Monte Carlo SS. The Monte weighs in @ just over 3500 lbs while the G35 is a wedge over 3K. The Monte pushes 220hp while the G35 Coupe does a bit over 260hp.

The G35 is a bit more of a younger crowd car in contrast to the CTS. I dunno all the specs on the caddy, but that V8 is going to rob you on gas including having to use premium. The CTS is also a FWD sedan while the G35 is rear wheel. You are almost guaranteed to get better take off than the CTS.

I almost choked when one of the other posters said get a Cavalier. Is he serious? That car and the Dodge Neon should not EVER be driven by a male. They are also SLOW AS CHIT. I won't even bother mentioning the other cars on your list, as they in know way even compare to the power and classy style of the G35.

2)Negative. The CTS I'm looking at is a 3.6L LY7 and the CTS is RWD. Also the CTS w/ the 3.6 pushes around 250-260hp. You are refering to the ****** CTS-V which is insaine which is about 400hp and will spank a G35. In 09 there coming out with a 3.9L v8 V that pushes around 500hp.

I really do like the G35's too. I'll have to take that into consideration.

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 12:15 AM

I almost choked when one of the other posters said get a Cavalier. Is he serious? That car and the Dodge Neon should not EVER be driven by a male. They are also SLOW AS CHIT. I won't even bother mentioning the other cars on your list, as they in no way even compare to the power and classy style of the G35.

EDIT: The 00-02 GTP's are basically the same thing as the 00-05 SS Monte Carlo, so I will combine the two in comparison.

you might want to recheck your facts there...

JeepCreepin96
08-05-2007, 12:16 AM
GTP..fast car

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 12:16 AM
2)Negative. The CTS I'm looking at is a 3.6L LY7 and the CTS is RWD. Also the CTS w/ the 3.6 pushes around 250-260hp. You are refering to the ****** CTS-V which is insaine which is about 400hp and will spank a G35. In 09 there coming out with a 3.9L v8 V that pushes around 500hp.

I really do like the G35's too. I'll have to take that into consideration.

first time i've heard that, last thing i heard was either a blown 6.2l or 7.0l

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 12:17 AM
GTP..fast car

high power fwd cars = torque steer and severe understeer.

Qbenjamin
08-05-2007, 12:20 AM
you might want to recheck your facts there...

Yeah, you are right about the stats on the CTS, but everything else I was right on the money with. I wasn't sure about the stats on the CTS, but I can't see them selling a car with 400hp for around $16K. I was thinking about his budget also.

hoxie08
08-05-2007, 12:22 AM
good mpg ,get black on black and it looks awesome, huge trunk, the battery come stock in the trunk, etc.

mmm who else is up for some black on black? i know i am.

Eugenics
Yeah, you are right about the stats on the CTS, but everything else I was right on the money with. I wasn't sure about the stats on the CTS, but I can't see them selling a car with 400hp for around $16K. I was thinking about his budget also.

i think he was talking about 16k as a possible down payment. either way buy a vehicle thats a couple years old with a warranty if you can.

what do you do silver? are you a service tech?

Silver
first time i've heard that, last thing i heard was either a blown 6.2l or 7.0l

Whoops we're both wrong. I just went on to GMdealerworld and the 3.9 is obsolete. :blush:

It will have a 6.0L Blown LS3 (no mistype) pushing 550-600hp.

Thats as far as my facts take me.

Qbenjamin
GTP..fast car

Not really, our cars just LOOK fast. They carry a lot of excess baggage.

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Whoops we're both wrong. I just went on to GMdealerworld and the 3.9 is obsolete. :blush:

It will have a 6.0L Blown LS3 (no mistype) pushing 550-600hp.

Thats as far as my facts take me.

thats what i was hearing. if its 6.0 i'm assuming it has a smaller bore for streingth

Silver
i think he was talking about 16k as a possible down payment. either way buy a vehicle thats a couple years old with a warranty if you can.

Yep.:fro:

Qbenjamin

Aaaaaah, if that's the case, and he really wants to stick with a GM vehicle then I would choose the 06-07' Monte Carlo SS. 303hp stock, 5.3L V8/Rear Wheel Drive.

hoxie08
high power fwd cars = torque steer and severe understeer.

torque steer is scary.. when you didn't know such a thing existed and it happened lol....

especially when its not your car. (of course since thats the only way i've experienced it)

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 12:25 AM
i was thinking about working in sales

Silver
08-05-2007, 12:26 AM
thats what i was hearing. if its 6.0 i'm assuming it has a smaller bore for streingth

Yea, there were rumors that it was going to get the Corvette SS motor S/C LS9, but that is blown and gone in the wind now.

The 6.0L on the V is going to have a integrated S/C right in the mainfold. GM's got some crazy **** up there sleeves.

If GM wanted to they could spank the **** out of toyota. They have a triple digit per gallon car that is a prototype. Chevy Volt.

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 12:26 AM
if it was ME and MY money i'd snatch up one of the new Chrysler's that they had to sell as used due to the inventory shift for the new model year and also snatch up the lifetime powertrain warranty that they have going on. you can probably get an awd 300c loaded for under 30k

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Yea, there were rumors that it was going to get the Corvette SS motor S/C LS9, but that is blown and gone in the wind now.

The 6.0L on the V is going to have a integrated S/C right in the mainfold. GM's got some crazy **** up there sleeves.

If GM wanted to they could spank the **** out of toyota. They have a triple digit per gallon car that is a prototype. Chevy Volt.

yeah, lutz is all excited about the volt.

Qbenjamin
08-05-2007, 12:28 AM
The Monte won't break the bank @ $27K new or $22K used. I have already been seeing numbers of aftermarket parts getting it close to 400hp. Visit mymonte.com for more info on that, if you'd like. As a service tech, u should have access to the power tech programmers.................

Silver
08-05-2007, 12:29 AM
if it was ME and MY money i'd snatch up one of the new Chrysler's that they had to sell as used due to the inventory shift for the new model year and also snatch up the lifetime powertrain warranty that they have going on. you can probably get an awd 300c loaded for under 30k

Dahmler just sold out right? Or did he sell the company? I can't remember.

All I know is its no longer tied with Germany.

As your working in sales. All you gotta do is have "sell" stamped in your mind. I couldn't sell a car if my life depended on it. Not a people person.

Silver
08-05-2007, 12:32 AM
The Monte won't break the bank @ $27K new or $22K used. I have already been seeing numbers of aftermarket parts getting it close to 400hp. Visit mymonte.com for more info on that, if you'd like. As a service tech, u should have access to the power tech programmers.................

I got em right here:naughty: . All I need is to borrow a Tech 2 and do a simple remote setup, probably have to call TAC to get a VCI. TIS2WEB is on my comp.

Qbenjamin
08-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Any $$$'s on the Volt as of yet? I have been waiting for a hybrid/sports sedan to hit the market that was actually appealing to everyone. I can't stand many of the hybrid cars out now aside from the Camry hybrid. Most of them are just outright UGLY.

Silver
08-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Any $$$'s on the Volt as of yet? I have been waiting for a hybrid/sports sedan to hit the market that was actually appealing to everyone. I can't stand many of the hybrid cars out now aside from the Camry hybrid. Most of them are just outright UGLY.

Not that I know of. All I know is that its a prototype.

Silver
08-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Eugenics, I was reading the wrong Techlink article about the V.

6.2L LS9 S/C (Blue Devil) Motor. 600HP, While the Corvette SS will have the same motor only tuned producing 700hp.

The 6.0L S/C was their first move, along with the 7.0L LS7.

The 09 v is faster than a N/A LS7 Z06.

The V is going to be nasty.

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Dahmler just sold out right? Or did he sell the company? I can't remember.

All I know is its no longer tied with Germany.

As your working in sales. All you gotta do is have "sell" stamped in your mind. I couldn't sell a car if my life depended on it. Not a people person.

MB sold a majority of it to Cerebirus (i forget the spelling, its the three headed dog company) but retained about 30% iirc. Chrysler will also still have access to the MB parts bin.

Silver
08-05-2007, 01:08 AM
MB sold a majority of it to Cerebirus (i forget the spelling, its the three headed dog company) but retained about 30% iirc. Chrysler will also still have access to the MB parts bin.

Ah that was the name, so many people are happy about it. Chrysler's funds will stay in America and not go to Germany.

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 01:17 AM
i think mb took a beating on the deal anyway so i'm not sure how much merit that concern really had. but no doubt.

diminishedpower
08-05-2007, 01:17 AM
I would like to chime in and state yes the cobalt ss is fast with stage upgrades(and btw you can buy seperate all of the stage 2 stuff and be cheaper than the stage 2, or last i knew) but the cobalt over all is having tons of troubles last i knew. With clutches going out early(off stockers even) to many other things just going and theres been a couple full out lemon cases on the cars. This being said there new years may be more reliable

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 01:30 AM
the supercharged cobalt ss is gone though. eco tech blocks are great, by the way.

SuperchargedRS
08-05-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't want a import. Sorry.

And no, I don't know how bad a new GM car is, explain to me.

If you dont want a import that's your call, but the difference in quality is just a fact.

why do you think a toyota or honda product will have a significantly higher resale value??? because they weather time much better then there American counterparts.

Now dont get me wrong I like american cars (look at my screen name!) but unless you are looking at a ls series motor car or a diesel they cant hold there own to a toyota/honda

compare a sierra 1/2 ton to the new tundra... your a wrench right? look at the specs, look at the problems per mile driven! look at the resale diff! the car and driver reports! etc etc.

same thing between the camery and whatever gm has to compare to that

if you like the American cars then cool, but dont try to say they are better, there is a reason GM lost it's position to toyota and it's not due to how kick azz of a car GM makes (diesel trucks and vetts aside).

You also said that gm could beat toyota if they wanted to..LOL! dude, pick up a business week or entrepreneur
mag and learn some business facts, I mean you think they are bleeding themselves for the chits and giggles of it, the american car co. are HURTHING with a capital H, if they could remedy the situation they would have!...a while ago.

armstrong
08-05-2007, 10:44 AM
thunderbird super coupe?

Silver
08-05-2007, 01:22 PM
If you dont want a import that's your call, but the difference in quality is just a fact.

why do you think a toyota or honda product will have a significantly higher resale value??? because they weather time much better then there American counterparts.

Now dont get me wrong I like american cars (look at my screen name!) but unless you are looking at a ls series motor car or a diesel they cant hold there own to a toyota/honda

compare a sierra 1/2 ton to the new tundra... your a wrench right? look at the specs, look at the problems per mile driven! look at the resale diff! the car and driver reports! etc etc.

same thing between the camery and whatever gm has to compare to that

if you like the American cars then cool, but dont try to say they are better, there is a reason GM lost it's position to toyota and it's not due to how kick azz of a car GM makes (diesel trucks and vetts aside).

You also said that gm could beat toyota if they wanted to..LOL! dude, pick up a business week or entrepreneur
mag and learn some business facts, I mean you think they are bleeding themselves for the chits and giggles of it, the american car co. are HURTHING with a capital H, if they could remedy the situation they would have!...a while ago.

Then explain to me why GM made a profit of 870mil, Ford 740mil. This quarter, sales are going up now. Toyota is NOT part of the UAW and rumor has it they are taking their plants back overseas. I don't know much about it though.

I sure hope my instructor that teaches for GM doesn't pull **** out of his ***.

Don't get me wrong Toyota has amazing methods too, but where did they get them in the first place? Where do the ideas come from. Seriously. Comparing before yota got big, ect.

thunderbird super coupe?
Thought about it, but I own a T-bird already and I don't want a old MN-12 chassis anymore.

Eugenics
08-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Then explain to me why GM made a profit of 870mil, Ford 740mil. This quarter, sales are going up now. Toyota is NOT part of the UAW and rumor has it they are taking their plants back overseas. I don't know much about it though.

I sure hope my instructor that teaches for GM doesn't pull **** out of his ***.

Don't get me wrong Toyota has amazing methods too, but where did they get them in the first place? Where do the ideas come from. Seriously. Comparing before yota got big, ect.

Thought about it, but I own a T-bird already and I don't want a old MN-12 chassis anymore.

GM and Ford are making a comeback and ARE making much much better vehicles.

it should be noted that ford didn't make much if anything in the states, those numbers were results of global sales

Silver
08-05-2007, 02:08 PM
GM and Ford are making a comeback and ARE making much much better vehicles.

it should be noted that ford didn't make much if anything in the states, those numbers were results of global sales

True. They really hit it off with that Ford Edge.