PDA

View Full Version : Door speaker recommendations?

fps_dean
07-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Before I hit buy it now I wanted to ask your input.

I found some Infinity Kappas on ebay for mad cheap which is what I was pretty set to go with, but I also found most other brands commonly sold on ebay are also cheap (Boston Acoustics, Polk, JBL, Alpine, Eclipse, etc.) so I should ask are the Kappas a wise move?

I haven't got to hear Kappas in action but typically I like Infinity sound and they review quite well. I play a lot of progressive rock and metal where midrange is the dominant frequency and I don't need excessive lows or anything, just as long as they have lows. I also know Boston Acoustics typically makes good speakers as well.

I might also be running off the stock radio until I get a few more paychecks... ugh

crutchfield and most other audio sites say my door speakers are 5.25" however, the covers look about 3", is it normal for the covers to be a bit smaller than the speaker like that or is crutchfield wrong? The car is a 1984 Buick Electra Park Avenue trim, 4 door.

CRAZYCORNUTS18
07-29-2007, 01:15 AM
infinitys have a reputation for be kinda harsh to the hear at high lvls,,,,,,,becuz of the cone material but yes they are really good starter speakers

DTPnU
07-29-2007, 01:20 AM
I like the Kappas. If you throw an amp on them, they are pretty loud. But for an upgrade, they are great. I know of many people that use the 4"s, 6.5"s and 6x9s and they are very pleased!

fps_dean
07-29-2007, 01:29 AM
infinitys have a reputation for be kinda harsh to the hear at high lvls,,,,,,,becuz of the cone material but yes they are really good starter speakers

This is true, but if you wish to sit in on a band practice with me, a drum set isn't anything but harsh either..... :)

I find that they have excellent, transparent mids and highs but lots of them and that isn't for everyone... which seems to be most people with the way popular music has turned these days....

fps_dean
07-29-2007, 01:29 AM
I like the Kappas. If you throw an amp on them, they are pretty loud. But for an upgrade, they are great. I know of many people that use the 4"s, 6.5"s and 6x9s and they are very pleased!

I would have 4x6 and 5.25? (looks smaller but that's just the plate that covers the speakers) up front and 6x9 in the back. I do plan on getting an amp too, but I am waiting for paychecks as I emptied my bank account getting this car from Canada and importing it into the US.

sue bee
07-29-2007, 12:29 PM
you don't go to williams, do you? i go to mcla.

fps_dean
08-01-2007, 12:24 AM
you don't go to williams, do you? i go to mcla.

I graduated MCLA in 2006....

fps_dean
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM

I just got them installed, powered by a Memphis Belle. I don't find them harsh at the slightest bit. Actually very neutral, ironically a bit more than their home speakers.