PDA

View Full Version : Box max boxes?



Jdg784
03-02-2003, 10:43 PM
I've seen a few of these on Ebay, and a friend just bought one from a store for 2 10's. It's really REALLY well built. What I was wondering is how would this sound w/a RE HC 15" seeing about 800 watts, and possibly 1400 watts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3010147299&category=18804

ridered36
03-02-2003, 10:46 PM
No you would be restricting it soo much by putting it in that small of a box. I would go no smaller then 3.5 cubic feet after all displacements.

If you want me to build you one, i should be able to match that guys price, or do better, depending on what all you want.

Jdg784
03-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Hmm, well if you could..I'm looking for a ported box w/a base of 20x20 (biggest I can squeeze in the space I've got) tuned to around 40 hz. I've got a good deal of room to go up (i.e..it can be like..25" tall) . Needs to be at least 3/4 " MDF. I'd prefer the sub facing at an angle like this. Lemme know how much you can build it for. I''ve built my own boxes before, but I'm feeling lazy/been busy and this might be easier in the long run.
----
|.......\
|.........\
|...........\
|_______|

ridered36
03-02-2003, 11:17 PM
An angled front like that may lose some SPL, but if you want it like that, i can do it. If you can come up with your own plans, and send them to me, i can give you a price right then. I would rather have you do thise too, that way you know what your getting. If you can't do the port, just do everything else and i can do the rest. Let me know what you want to do.

Jdg784
03-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Here's what I came up with..It'd have to be EXACTLY 20" or a little less because of space constraints. It would almost be better to replace the 20's w/ 19.5's or 19's.

This sealed would be fine, but how much for a ported one?

ridered36
03-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Jdg784
Here's what I came up with..It'd have to be EXACTLY 20" or a little less because of space constraints. It would almost be better to replace the 20's w/ 19.5's or 19's.

This sealed would be fine, but how much for a ported one?

I can do a sealed for $60 and ported for $65 + shipping. So i am pretty mcuh beating the buy on ebay buy $10, and i will pry be cheaper on shipping to.

Jdg784
03-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Sealed it is then, ports on the right side would be right against the cabin wall and on the left side would be facing passengers...don't wanna kill them. Would it be cheaper to ship flat? Because I can easily put it together...also, would that lower the price at all?

ridered36
03-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Jdg784
Sealed it is then, ports on the right side would be right against the cabin wall and on the left side would be facing passengers...don't wanna kill them. Would it be cheaper to ship flat? Because I can easily put it together...also, would that lower the price at all?

UMmm idunno give me your zip code and ill check. As for lettin you put it together, i could do it for $55. Getting everything cut out is the hard part, puttin it together is easy, so im not really saving any strain on myself there if ya know what i mean.

BTW, what would you guess the weight would be....im sayin around 25lbs???

Jdg784
03-03-2003, 12:25 AM
my zip code is 30024...and umm, yeah, something around 25 lbs..check it at 20, 25, and 30 lbs..and give me the estimates. I guess shipped flat it would be a box 27x27x15 or so wouldn't it?

ridered36
03-03-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Jdg784
my zip code is 30024...and umm, yeah, something around 25 lbs..check it at 20, 25, and 30 lbs..and give me the estimates. I guess shipped flat it would be a box 27x27x15 or so wouldn't it?

$25 shipped to your door, same price at all weights. That was for assebled, i dont really know how to come up with a box size for a dissambled box w/o actually having the pieces and being able to play around with their positions inside a box. Well, just let me know what you want to do.

Jdg784
03-03-2003, 12:39 AM
Hmm, so it's be 85$ shipped to my door assembled. I might have to take you up on that, let me get my finances in order (i.e...get my tax return w/in a week or so) then I'll get back to you.

Jdg784
03-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Oh..any pics of boxes you've made in the past? j/w

ridered36
03-03-2003, 12:48 AM
I can get you some first thing tomorrow. Give me your e-mail address and i'll send you them, since i dont know how to send pics through this private messaging system. I will try to kinda lay it out tomorrow, and if i can get all the pieces out one sheet of wood, then i might be able to do it cheaper.

Oh, BTW, the Lowe's in my area only carries 3/4 particle board, not MDF. Is that OK? I have personally built boxes out of both, and the is definantely no audible differend and very little strength difference. There may be one other place that has MDF but i will have to check. I know it will be more expensive then the particle board cuz it is a smaller store. Im just tryin to save you some money, so let me knwo what you want to do.

ridered36
03-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by ridered36
I can get you some first thing tomorrow. Give me your e-mail address and i'll send you them, since i dont know how to send pics through this private messaging system. I will try to kinda lay it out tomorrow, and if i can get all the pieces out one sheet of wood, then i might be able to do it cheaper.

Oh, BTW, the Lowe's in my area only carries 3/4 particle board, not MDF. Is that OK? I have personally built boxes out of both, and there is definantely no audible difference and very little strength difference. There may be one other place that has MDF but i will have to check. I know it will be more expensive then the particle board cuz it is a smaller store. Im just tryin to save you some money, so let me knwo what you want to do.

Jdg784
03-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Your lowe's only carries particle board? wow..that's fine by me..I just can't believe they don't carry more. The one by me has just about every type of wood you could ever want. Please use MDF if it's not too much more expensive..THanks ~Jeremy
Jdg784@Hotmail.com

ridered36
03-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Jdg784
Your lowe's only carries particle board? wow..that's fine by me..I just can't believe they don't carry more. The one by me has just about every type of wood you could ever want. Please use MDF if it's not too much more expensive..THanks ~Jeremy
Jdg784@Hotmail.com

Yea the carry everything But 3/4 MDF. They have 5/8 MDF but that wont get the job done. Im gonna be sendin some box pics your way.

ridered36
03-03-2003, 02:24 PM
You have mail....