PDA

View Full Version : Any DLS IR3 Mid "How To Modified" Threads?

Blazemore
07-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Are there any websites or forums that show how to mod the DLS IR3 3" mids? Looked but can't find any.

3.5Max6spd
07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
The only mods i kinow of is to attach a metal plate on the backside with epoxy and wrap over it and the back of the housing wit some mat. You are basically just fortifying the housing to make it stiffer and eliminate resonance, so you can go a little lower as far as xover point without audible resonance. So it des work to lower the Fs some.
Steve Head(Team Audionutz) used this approach in his competition vehicles and lent out the advice.

I did the same with my Usher midranges, just using mat. I was able to go from 700hz 12db slope to about 390-410hz 12db pushing some pretty hard volume without them popping.

Blazemore
07-26-2007, 04:41 PM
I've seen a couple of pics using the metal plate, so all you do is glue the plate directly on to the IR3 plastic bottom? Guessing the thickness of the metal is between an 1/8 and 1/4?

Steve Head(Team Audionutz) used this approach in his competition vehicles and lent out the advice.
Saw where Steve was talking about modifying his mids but I didn't know truly what it consisted of. Doesn't seem too hard to do.

3.5Max6spd
07-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Its not hard. You are just basically mass loading a plastic chamber/backplate.