PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse CD7000 or Pioneer DEH-P880PRS

dwynne
07-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Eclipse CD7000 or Pioneer DEH-P880PRS

I can get either of these new for the same price.

Which is the better choice and why?

I will be running it with a sub and sub amp and an amp for the front components (SR6500) using the passive eq network - for now. At some point I may try it active x-overed. I listen mostly to XM with an external tuner and MP3s ripped at a high bitrate, but I do have a couple of ipods and MAY want to use the head unit control with them - but I may could just get by with 2 line ins (one tied to the XM all the time and the other to connect to the ipod and control the ipod with its UI). Can either do 2 aux ins?

Thanks!
Dennis

phyphoestilic
07-25-2007, 11:42 PM
search > you

genxx
07-26-2007, 04:03 AM
Its really personnel preference. I like the Eclipse personnel preference.

CRAZYCORNUTS18
07-26-2007, 04:05 AM
:search:

BassAddictJ
07-26-2007, 04:18 AM
payed with the 880.but but id take the cd7000 to see how it stacks. with cosmeticas the prs was alright, i think the cd7000 would be better,.

dwynne
07-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I did search before I posted, but the old discussions are like "The 880 is $400 less than the 7000" - which is not the case for me now. So I was hoping for some new discussion now that the price is the same.

I guess if the biggest advantage the Pio had was the price, the 7000 is a better "deal" now for the same money?

Dennis

headless
07-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Yes. Get the eclipse. Never look back. Unless you really need 15 bands of EQ and don't appreciate the eclipse PEQ...

Here, read this. Make your own decision.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/car-audio-multimedia-ice/248325-comparison-pioneer-premier-deh-p-880prs-vs-eclipse-cd7100.html

Just fyi, #3/#7 on that list is nonsense; SW level is set on the time alignment screen and can be set through pre-sets too, and #6's sub-point re: USB doesn't apply to the 7000.

I find the time alignment to be one of the biggest reasons the 7000/7100 wins out.

nismos14
07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey thats my post.

Edited to fix #3 and 7.

Hands down CD7000. The 880 was nice, but not quite as nice as the CD7100. CD7000 should be good as well, with lower outputs that will still probably outperform the 880's outputs.

6spdcoupe
07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Id also vote on the CD7000/7100, especially if reliability is a concern. Although make sure its bought authorized .. 3 year warranty is a terrible thing to waste. :)

adam71
07-28-2007, 09:51 AM
880 all the way. Every bit as flexible and sounds just as good.

I find the time alignment to be one of the biggest reasons the 7000/7100 wins out.

Not really sure I understand this statement. The 880 has VERY good time alignment. The 7000's time alignment is no better.

All in all though I think the 880 gained too much popularity. That was the 2nd main reason I went the P9 combo. I didn't want a deck that so many others had.

To the OP: I'm sure you'll find the 7000 to be very capable for what you're trying to do.

whitemax
07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
I've had my CD7000 for about a year now. That is the longest I've held on to a HU in a long time. It is a very nice HU with alot of sound tuning capabilities. One of my favorite things about it is the programable shortcut button. I have it setup for the PEQ memory bank, which also holds the values for the x-over, and time alignment. This feature alone makes the unit very easy to use. I also like having the ability to mute the sound, pause a song, or change the sub's volume level without having to dig around menus, and submenus.

dwynne
07-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Id also vote on the CD7000/7100, especially if reliability is a concern. Although make sure its bought authorized .. 3 year warranty is a terrible thing to waste. :)

Authorized? Man, I think I am too much of a cheapskate to go that route :) . If I had to pay an authorized price I probably could buy one of each model on the cheap and try them both.....

Dennis

Abell255
07-29-2007, 12:07 AM
i'm in the same boat as you Dennis, and i've chosen the CD7000. I would like the 7100, but for ~$200 more? nah....and the PRS looks like a great unit too, but visually the 7000 looks a bit sexier, especially as far as readability in sunlight. From what i've heard, the 7000's are as readable as alpine's biolite screens. I'm stoked to try out the PEQ as well, owns my graphic on the deh-7800. Anyhow, my .02 says you should get the eclipse.

dwynne
07-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Do you know how much the mic is to go with the 7000? I know the 880 includes one but it is an option with the 7000.

From my reading the 880 would do a better job controlling an ipod it appears, but as I said that is not a huge deal - I have ipods but I don't use them in the car that much.

I have the DEH-P80MP in the convertible and while I love the ability to display song and artist together off of MP3s, the blue display washes out bad in sunlight with the top down. The no preset buttons and single joystick/knob can be a pain to use when trying to tune in Paul Harvey or the traffic of the radio. Maybe the 880 system is a little better?

It is a tough choice, but I have not found a stocking dealer for either (for sure now that the 7100 is out) to have a live look-see.

Dennis

Abell255
07-29-2007, 02:56 AM
Do you know how much the mic is to go with the 7000? I know the 880 includes one but it is an option with the 7000.

From my reading the 880 would do a better job controlling an ipod it appears, but as I said that is not a huge deal - I have ipods but I don't use them in the car that much.

I have the DEH-P80MP in the convertible and while I love the ability to display song and artist together off of MP3s, the blue display washes out bad in sunlight with the top down. The no preset buttons and single joystick/knob can be a pain to use when trying to tune in Paul Harvey or the traffic of the radio. Maybe the 880 system is a little better?

It is a tough choice, but I have not found a stocking dealer for either (for sure now that the 7100 is out) to have a live look-see.

Dennis

Upon doing a little searching and finally viewing Eclipse's 2006 .pdf product manual, it states that the 7000 takes the MEI-100 mic, which is the same as the mic for the 07' models. Quick google search found:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ECLMEI100

But i'm sure you may find it cheaper elsewhere. As for personal experience with the mic, i have not recieved my unit yet so i'm unsure. I'd like to hear what others say about it...if it's really worth picking it up or if just measuring manually works fine.

As far as the readability, i've read many reviews that the screen does not wash out even under intense sunlight. I have seen however, that people are a bit dissapointed by the smaller font used, but to me that is a VERY slight con. Also, i'm looking forward to having the presets handy on the face as well, my 7800 obviously lacked them.

I just ordered my 7000 off ebay NIB, i never care about authorized equipment. I have enough friends that if something did go wrong, i'll just bite the big one and get it serviced reasonably...knock on wood!:eek:

whitemax
07-29-2007, 03:48 AM
While I think that the mic should have been included, like with the previous models, it is well worth the price. While not as accurate as a real RTA, it will let you see problem areas in your frequency response.

fps_dean
07-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I've never been too much of a Pioneer fan (nor do I dislike Pioneer, just never been thrilled by anything Pioneer) but I think Eclipse makes some quality products.

civic si
07-29-2007, 12:23 PM
i go with eclispe

adam71
07-29-2007, 02:09 PM
i'm in the same boat as you Dennis, and i've chosen the CD7000. I would like the 7100, but for ~$200 more? nah....and the PRS looks like a great unit too, but visually the 7000 looks a bit sexier, especially as far as readability in sunlight. From what i've heard, the 7000's are as readable as alpine's biolite screens. I'm stoked to try out the PEQ as well, owns my graphic on the deh-7800. Anyhow, my .02 says you should get the eclipse.

:wow: What?? That Eclipse deck is hideous. I'm not just being a Pioneer fanboy either. I've seen some nice looking Eclipse decks in my day and the 7000/7100 is NOT one of them. The 8053 was MUCH better looking (not to mention a much better performer) than these new decks Eclipse is offering. But to each his own I guess.

As far as readability is concerned: Why does everyone pull that card out when comparing decks. I mean I can see the argument if it affected the way the unit performed or stopped you from enjoying the unit but I guess I fail to see where that would make any deck better than the next. If a deck's display gets washed out by sunlight then put your hand over it to shade it for a second. By no means should that attribute EVER influence one's decision on a head unit. Performance, ergonomics and features are FAR MORE important.

BTW, I'm not ragging on you. It's just that too many people use that as an excuse.

whitemax
07-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I actually think the CD7000 is a nice looking HU, reminds me of some of the units from the late 90's. I thought my CD8454 was a little odd looking with the knobs almost on the edges of the face.

adam71
07-29-2007, 02:41 PM
I actually think the CD7000 is a nice looking HU, reminds me of some of the units from the late 90's. I thought my CD8454 was a little odd looking with the knobs almost on the edges of the face.

Well, if everyone made a **** headunit then there would be no sense in having opinions on looks. No offense but think the newer Eclipse head units (anything after the 8053 lineup) are ugly by my tastes. But you may find what I like ugly. It's all preference. My whole thing is simplicity. Flashy head units got old with me a long time ago.

whitemax
07-29-2007, 03:15 PM
I have mine setup with the all green illumination and a black screen with white letters. Pretty simple looking. I too do not like having a buch of things dancing on the screen. I want to be able to quickly glance at the screen and see what is on there. The only thing I do not like is the color of the knob...wished it was black or the same color as the face.

Arawak420
07-29-2007, 03:15 PM
im in a debate with myself about these 2 units as well. i have a pio 8600 that is having ground issues im tired of dealing with, will be posting it for sale to someone that is knowledgeable to fix it or wants to send it out to be fix. i just want and need a new stereo like yesterday... i've figured how to use it over the last couple of years, and liked it very much but im thinking something different. i see the rage on the 880, but i know from experience and friends that eclipse has great SQ at least in the 90's. not sure what they are up to these days.

well to the 2. i have a pio 12 disc changer and the cdrb20 to aux mp3. but if i get the 7000 i can sell the pio changer and aux device to help cover some of the cost for the 7000

i can get both for the same price $300.
7000 has 100db signal to noise and 5 volt pres, which prolly relates to about 3.5v rms
880 has 105db signal to noise has 5v which relates to about 3.5v rms.

880 internal amp can be turned off. i like that feature
7000 not sure of this feature.

880 has 2 year warranty through sonics electronics. they are local and nice folks. i got my diamond d612s from them..
7000 has 1 year warranty.

you can add custom pics to the 7000, and i like the green illum. to go with the interior
880 not sure if you can add custom pics like the 8600. someone verify this for me and only has the white and blue illum. it will stay on white if i got it, as im burnt out on the blue of the 8600

both have 3 set of rca jacks and the 7000 as a 3.5mm plug for mp3
880 has a 2.5mm plug for ext. audio. where the hell do you get a 2.5mm male plug? never heard of it. my 8600 has the same 2.5mm male plug but it is for the t/a alignment and came with a mic.

remote controls. the 880 owns the 7000 by a huge margin..

my 8600 i never used the eq settings, well sometimes. i just listened to it flat to see how good a music producer is, if the producer is good it isnt even needed.. and it's easier than trying to adjust while driving.

on the 8600 i was able to add a partial bob marley vid in the screen saver feature. i liked that feature. does the 880 have that?

i liked the fact that the 8600 i could turn the subs up or down to fit the components and vice versa with slopes and curves for the fronts.

i looked at the 5100 yesterday to compare looks and i like the thing. i also like the simplicity of the 880 looks as well.

im torn :confused: ,but already have pio hardware. i can pick up both tomorrw,but with the pio i can plug it in on the spot and tinker with it while i drive home. as i still have the 8600 harness and rca's still attached to the car..

is there folks in here trading their 880 for 7000? i would be willing to trade off the 880 after a while for the 7000, or maybe vice versa.

the mapquest thing is touchy as map quest gives wrong directions real often. i use google earth for directions

my setup is:
infinity/rainbow comps, diamond d612's 2x12" in sealed box, 400x4 fosgate comp amp, T1000.1BB mono block running 1 ohm(hungry *****), pio 1270 12 disc changer, and cdrb20 that runs my neuros II, ipod shuffle 2nd gen, and 2gb ipod 1st gen..
im a SQ guy to the fullest cause big bass drinks gas like no tomorrow.

i figured if i wanted to add a dvd or something ofthe sort i could get an archos and just pluf the headphone audio cord in the cdrb20 aux input

i also like the fact that both units are 24 bit and use burr brown

there is more i cna think of, but i've talked your ears off already..

adam71
07-29-2007, 03:20 PM
im in a debate with myself about these 2 units as well. i have a pio 8600 that is having ground issues im tired of dealing with, will be posting it for sale to someone that is knowledgeable to fix it or wants to send it out to be fix.

Wow. Why is it so many people had sooo many problems with that model. I still have an 860 (the first year they were available) from '04 and have had ZERO problems. NOT ONE. Weird.

whitemax
07-29-2007, 03:28 PM
I had a Pioneer 8600 (x2) before my Eclipse CD8455. Nice unit, no issues with it, but not the easiest HU to use. I did not like having only one wire to turn on my amps, as well as the power antenna. I hardly listen to the radio, so that was wear and tear that was not necessary. I got around this by using a switch, kind of a pain to have to do that though. I also did not enjoy having to go through menus to pause a song, or adjust the sub level. These are things that should be able to be done quickly and easily. I myself like having buttons....sure the face looks cleaner with less, but I prefer ease of use. I do not know if these things really make a difference to you, or if those things are still the same on the 880 PRS.

As for the EQ, I use it to tame certain peaks in my system. These are due to the listening environment. The cool thing is that on the cd7000 you can create a shortcut button for your PEQ settings, one of my favorite funcitons on it.

Arawak420
07-29-2007, 03:29 PM
i geuss your lucky. i noticed the best thing to do when messing with the battery and such is to unplug the the harness adn then unplug the rca harness and vice versa when putting her back together., but i still blew the pico fuse thingy. and fixed it but i have something else wrong. with the ground. pioneer repair shop wants me to ship it to them with $35 to tell me whats wrong and if they fix it the $35 will be cdredited to the cost.

im just over the unit basically.

can you upload images to the 880?

whitemax
07-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I do not know if that is possible or not...

Arawak420
07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
"I also did not enjoy having to go through menus to pause a song"

how come you didnt just use the remote? the remote also has a att mute which i liked when answering cell phone, or passing cops, or pulling up in the drive through.

and yes getting to the bass levels is a pain cause with the remote cause you can only go forward. the t/a is nice. wrap the mic around the drivr headrest and shut the door.

on the 880 remote do you still have to go forward with the remote to get the the setting you want or can you go backwards like it should be?

Abell255
07-29-2007, 03:35 PM
:wow: What?? That Eclipse deck is hideous. I'm not just being a Pioneer fanboy either. I've seen some nice looking Eclipse decks in my day and the 7000/7100 is NOT one of them. The 8053 was MUCH better looking (not to mention a much better performer) than these new decks Eclipse is offering. But to each his own I guess.

As far as readability is concerned: Why does everyone pull that card out when comparing decks. I mean I can see the argument if it affected the way the unit performed or stopped you from enjoying the unit but I guess I fail to see where that would make any deck better than the next. If a deck's display gets washed out by sunlight then put your hand over it to shade it for a second. By no means should that attribute EVER influence one's decision on a head unit. Performance, ergonomics and features are FAR MORE important.

BTW, I'm not ragging on you. It's just that too many people use that as an excuse.

Holy **** adam, i'm pretty sure you over reacted a bit here. Like i stated in a few other posts, i'm just chiming in with my .02. I rarely post on these forums...only when something directly relates to my audio needs. I for one think the newer eclipses are sexier then the elders, with a bit less awkward button lay out etc. I think the eclipse is very simple looking...yes a bit of bling and what not, but i like the presets easily accessible, and the left side layout is simple as well. Anyhow, that's not much of an argument so i don't know where you are going...everyone has their opinions man. Also, i never said it should hinder his decision one way or another, but if you were out buying like something as important as this, would you not want to know a few ins and outs? As far as performance, i think both units will be more then enough to allow one to potentially have one sick SQ system if they know what they are doing.

I don't believe the eclipse's internal amp can be shut off, which IMO is stupid... But, i do love the PEQ, and the fact of going 3 way and adjusting the highs/mids/lows... Anyhow, everything else as far as features can be searched.

I went with the CD7000 because i've personally never had an eclipse honestly, and i've always heard great things about them. I've had pio's for years, and they have been nothing short of flawless. Who's to say i won't be selling my 7000 for an....dare i say 880?:laugh:

Arawak420
07-29-2007, 03:36 PM
i'd like to see that 7000 in action but no one has a display model, only the 3100 and 5100, which are different it looks like. i couldnt even get the 5100 at CC to play a cd i brought into the store. prolly was broke or something.

i like the way it looks in your avatar...

adam71
07-29-2007, 03:37 PM
I had a Pioneer 8600 (x2) before my Eclipse CD8455. Nice unit, no issues with it, but not the easiest HU to use. I did not like having only one wire to turn on my amps, as well as the power antenna. I hardly listen to the radio, so that was wear and tear that was not necessary. I got around this by using a switch, kind of a pain to have to do that though. I also did not enjoy having to go through menus to pause a song, or adjust the sub level. These are things that should be able to be done quickly and easily. I myself like having buttons....sure the face looks cleaner with less, but I prefer ease of use. I do not know if these things really make a difference to you, or if those things are still the same on the 880 PRS.

I'm not sure about the sub level but you don't have to go through ANY menus to pause a song on the 8600/860. You use the PGM button on the remote. The PGM button was programmable where it would do 1 of 3 different functions and PAUSE was one of them. Not sure what else it would do. Top corner of the remote is where this button sat and it would pause a CD instantly.

adam71
07-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Holy **** adam, i'm pretty sure you over reacted a bit here. Like i stated in a few other posts, i'm just chiming in with my .02. I rarely post on these forums...only when something directly relates to my audio needs. I for one think the newer eclipses are sexier then the elders, with a bit less awkward button lay out etc. I think the eclipse is very simple looking...yes a bit of bling and what not, but i like the presets easily accessible, and the left side layout is simple as well. Anyhow, that's not much of an argument so i don't know where you are going...everyone has their opinions man. Also, i never said it should hinder his decision one way or another, but if you were out buying like something as important as this, would you not want to know a few ins and outs? As far as performance, i think both units will be more then enough to allow one to potentially have one sick SQ system if they know what they are doing.

I don't believe the eclipse's internal amp can be shut off, which IMO is stupid... But, i do love the PEQ, and the fact of going 3 way and adjusting the highs/mids/lows... Anyhow, everything else as far as features can be searched.

I went with the CD7000 because i've personally never had an eclipse honestly, and i've always heard great things about them. I've had pio's for years, and they have been nothing short of flawless. Who's to say i won't be selling my 7000 for an....dare i say 880?:laugh:

Woah!!! Woah!!! I already stated that I wasn't ragging on you. I'm sorry if I came off that way. Please do NOT take it that way. I also said to each his own on choice of deck. I was also just giving my .02 on appearance of headunits.

As far as the display part goes: I was more or less just ranting in general and didn't mean it necessarily directly at you. Again, sorry for that coming off as personal.

I guess I need to learn how type where I come off the way I meant. And not come off as an *******.

whitemax
07-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure about the sub level but you don't have to go through ANY menus to pause a song on the 8600/860. You use the PGM button on the remote. The PGM button was programmable where it would do 1 of 3 different functions and PAUSE was one of them. Not sure what else it would do. Top corner of the remote is where this button sat and it would pause a CD instantly.

While the remote is useful, I would rather have those things on the actual unit's face. One push, and that's it....guess I like things really simple.

dwynne
07-29-2007, 03:52 PM

Part of ergonomics is being able read the freakin' screen :) . If listening to MP3s or controlling an ipod what is on the screen is important - and being able to see the screen in all conditions is just as important. I never tried the P80MP Pio out in the bright sun (how could I?) until I had it installed in the convertible. And with polarized shades on and the top down it just about unreadable. I got it due to the high power (no room an amp in the car) and nice (in the store) display :crap: .

Of course you also just said: All in all though I think the 880 gained too much popularity. That was the 2nd main reason I went the P9 combo. I didn't want a deck that so many others had. Which may be the lamest reason I have every heard for pulling a HU out of a car. Just a few months back you were raving about how great it was and telling folks not to buy the CD7000 - then when "too many" folks got the same HU you have you pull it from the car?:confused:

I agree about the flashy bling bling stuff not being important long term. I put my Pio in the convertible on the Vu meters while listening to XM but I don't spend much time watching it but in the sun I can't see it much anyway. But you have to be able to see the screen to do most anything with most any HU.

I wish I could get a double din HU with auto EQ and alignment "cheap" - or even a 7" pop-out HU with the same things for not too much. Large and easy to read with all the goodies would sure be nice - but the few that are available are expensive and/or require and external box.

Dennis

Abell255
07-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Woah!!! Woah!!! I already stated that I wasn't ragging on you. I'm sorry if I came off that way. Please do NOT take it that way. I also said to each his own on choice of deck. I was also just giving my .02 on appearance of headunits.

As far as the display part goes: I was more or less just ranting in general and didn't mean it necessarily directly at you. Again, sorry for that coming off as personal.

I guess I need to learn how type where I come off the way I meant. And not come off as an *******.

You did come off a bit irritated, but i'm sure if you hear the "appearance importance" issue so many times, it may have wound you up a bit. I for one completely agree with you in that the features outweigh the looks of the unit. The only reason i brought up a few things about it is that everything else is already on the table. Both units have been pretty well stripped down of everything they consist of, whether in this thread or others accessible by searching, so i figured i throw a few others things out their that i found searching early this morning. Like we all are discussing now, things such as "pause" buttons and "mute" buttons...definately doesn't necessarily go along the lines of features does it?:laugh: Just messing man, all is well.....and actually i do fu***** hate when a pause button isn't accessible. Remotes are overrated, especially when i do most of my driving in town and i've got a 5sp. My pio 7800's pause button was located fairly deep in the menu, which by the time ANYONE wanted to pause a **** cd, you could have turned off the unit, cleaned the cd for the hell of it, and put it back in before you would have arrived at the option. (as you can see, this irritated me:cool: )

adam71
07-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Part of ergonomics is being able read the freakin' screen :) . If listening to MP3s or controlling an ipod what is on the screen is important - and being able to see the screen in all conditions is just as important. I never tried the P80MP Pio out in the bright sun (how could I?) until I had it installed in the convertible. And with polarized shades on and the top down it just about unreadable. I got it due to the high power (no room an amp in the car) and nice (in the store) display :crap: .

I agree about the flashy bling bling stuff not being important long term. I put my Pio in the convertible on the Vu meters while listening to XM but I don't spend much time watching it but in the sun I can't see it much anyway. But you have to be able to see the screen to do most anything with most any HU.

I wish I could get a double din HU with auto EQ and alignment "cheap" - or even a 7" pop-out HU with the same things for not too much. Large and easy to read with all the goodies would sure be nice - but the few that are available are expensive and/or require and external box.

Dennis

Okay. A display I guess is part of the ergonomics but only sort of. Once you learn a deck's features and how to get around the readablility is less important.

Of course you also just said: All in all though I think the 880 gained too much popularity. That was the 2nd main reason I went the P9 combo. I didn't want a deck that so many others had. Which may be the lamest reason I have every heard for pulling a HU out of a car. Just a few months back you were raving about how great it was and telling folks not to buy the CD7000 - then when "too many" folks got the same HU you have you pull it from the car?:confused:

I DO think it gained too much popularity and too many people have one. Which is why I will NOT own one. I don't know what you mean by pull it from the car though. I own an 860, a 920 and a P9 combo. I don't have a 880. However I still stand behind the fact that the 880 is a much better value than the 7000 and would still recommend it over the 7000 7days a week. Just because I wouldn't own one doesn't mean I can't recommend it.

Arawak420
07-29-2007, 04:11 PM
i heard someone mention something about velcroing the remote to the center of the steering wheel. although it does sound liek a great idea it would be harsh for the airbag to go off and you have an imprint of a remote control on your forhead...

so i never got any of my questions answered cause of all the bickering.

constructive criticism and ones ideas, likes, and dislikes turns into a flaming shoot. to each his own. we are individuals and have different taste, we even smell different and the same things taste different. take it for whats it worth and move on. dont dwell on someones thought because they arent thoughts like your own...

individual idealism

Abell255
07-29-2007, 04:20 PM
I want to say that you cannot upload images, but i could be wrong. The 7000's limit is something like 70 images i believe.

adam71
i heard someone mention something about velcroing the remote to the center of the steering wheel. although it does sound liek a great idea it would be harsh for the airbag to go off and you have an imprint of a remote control on your forhead...

There is always the wired controller that you can permanently mount somewhere in the vehicle.

I would have to say No. I checked the Pioneer site and there is NO mention of the "OEL Screensaver Studio" on the 880 description page,

constructive criticism and ones ideas, likes, and dislikes turns into a flaming shoot. to each his own. we are individuals and have different taste, we even smell different and the same things taste different. take it for whats it worth and move on. dont dwell on someones thought because they arent thoughts like your own...

All is well. I already took blame for typing like I was mad when I really wasn't.

whitemax
Have you tried going to Pioneer's website to see if you can download the manual. That should let you know if you can download screen savers.

Arawak420
07-29-2007, 04:58 PM
i treid no mention of user images... bummer.

adam71
07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
i treid no mention of user images... bummer.

That would be cool if it did. But they would be in black and white anyway.

dwynne
07-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Like we all are discussing now, things such as "pause" buttons and "mute" buttons...definitely doesn't necessarily go along the lines of features does it?:laugh: Just messing man, all is well.....and actually i do fu***** hate when a pause button isn't accessible. Remotes are overrated, especially when i do most of my driving in town and i've got a 5sp.

How about when they have a mute button but that does not also pause the playback? I would think it would be OBVIOUS that if you needed to mute while playing a disc that the deck should pause it for you as well. On some decks you can switch another source (say tuner) and mute quicker and easier than you can pause. Then switch back to the disc and unmute when done - not the direct/easy way to do it.

I am not impressed by remotes either - in all the HUs I have ever owned I never have used one other than to see it works. It ends up gathering dust in the glove box or console.

Dennis

dwynne
07-30-2007, 06:17 PM

I don't mind the mild jabs and I sure don't mind folks pointing out the small flaws. For example, the image upload thing is an "I don't care" to me but matters to you. Someone someone else may point out may be a "wow, that sounds like a pain" or "Gee, I didn't know it could do that". Something someone living with the item in question really likes or has really gotten tired of.

Dennis

adam71
07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I am not impressed by remotes either - in all the HUs I have ever owned I never have used one other than to see it works. It ends up gathering dust in the glove box or console.

Dennis

I am. In fact, with the P9 the remote runs MOST of the advanced features such as the processor.

Not only that I use my remote so that I don't put scratches, finger prints and don't wear the buttons out. I know that sounds **** but a deck has a lot higher reselling price the better it looks.

dwynne
07-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Some clarification questions:

The 880 says it has a built in Aux in, but it appears from the owner's manual that this is behind the face plate (where the EQ mic connects), correct? I would not want to drive around with the face plate open listening to my XM tuner :confused: - so I guess I will need the CD-RB20/CD-RB10 adapter? Non-Pio clones of these are dirt cheap but the real Pio ones run $30-50 each.

On the 880 to control an ipod you need the CD-IB100II - again you can find cheap clone cables (don't charge the ipod) or get a real Pio part.

In both cases, the cheap cable-only parts can't be daisy-chained. The real Pio parts DO have a daisy-chain connector - but the docs all say this is for the "multi-CD player".

Question: If you have both the CD-RB20 and the CB-IB100II can you daisy-chain them and have aux in and ipod control both?

On the CD7000 it appears to have rear aux-in (RCA jacks) so no problem there. If not running a CD changer you can add a 2nd set of RCA inputs to the back of the CD7000 with the AUX-105 input adapter.

The ipod adapter is iPC-106 and looks like about the same price as the real Pio ipod adapter. It also looks to hook up in place of the CD changer and also appears to have a daisy chain port.

Question: With the CD7000 I can run aux in and the ipod control no problem, and MAYBE even daisy-chain a 2nd aux in as well?

Thanks,
Dennis

Abell255
07-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Wow, you love your AUX's man! haha, but i'm not quite sure if you can free up another port somehow, but one thing you can do is split it and run 2 cords. If you split the sound coming out from your source, then that may degrade the SQ, but the other way around like you need shouldn't.

Also, with the ipod adapter, i believe it's got the "pass through" ipbus, meaning yes you can hook another bus accessory up via the input on the cb-ib100ll if used.

6spdcoupe
07-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Some clarification questions:

The 880 says it has a built in Aux in, but it appears from the owner's manual that this is behind the face plate (where the EQ mic connects), correct? I would not want to drive around with the face plate open listening to my XM tuner :confused: - so I guess I will need the CD-RB20/CD-RB10 adapter? Non-Pio clones of these are dirt cheap but the real Pio ones run $30-50 each.

On the 880 to control an ipod you need the CD-IB100II - again you can find cheap clone cables (don't charge the ipod) or get a real Pio part.

In both cases, the cheap cable-only parts can't be daisy-chained. The real Pio parts DO have a daisy-chain connector - but the docs all say this is for the "multi-CD player".

Question: If you have both the CD-RB20 and the CB-IB100II can you daisy-chain them and have aux in and ipod control both?

On the CD7000 it appears to have rear aux-in (RCA jacks) so no problem there. If not running a CD changer you can add a 2nd set of RCA inputs to the back of the CD7000 with the AUX-105 input adapter.

The ipod adapter is iPC-106 and looks like about the same price as the real Pio ipod adapter. It also looks to hook up in place of the CD changer and also appears to have a daisy chain port.

Question: With the CD7000 I can run aux in and the ipod control no problem, and MAYBE even daisy-chain a 2nd aux in as well?

Thanks,
Dennis

IIRC you can daisy chain on both units. The Eclipse definately, add as much as you want .. Sirius,iPod,Changer,etc,etc.. You still keep the pair of AUX RCA inputs as well.

dwynne
07-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, I e-mailed Pio to ask them about this as well.

Another question:

On either deck if I don't go active how much, if anything, do I lose?

I would use the x-over in the deck to run the front components passive via a 2 channel amp and use it to run the sub mono amp.

You could still auto analyze the system and EQ it, right? As far as adjusting the EQ for a "flat" environment in the car.

You could "sort of" do the RTA but not really since you don't have separate control of the mids and tweets - unless they were about the same distance from diver to listening position.

With the Cd7000 you get all the bands of the EQ and I think you do with the Pio as well - in "2 channel plus sub" mode.

From the Pio owner's manual and install guide it looks like you could even run the internal amp to drive the tweets until you installed a tweet amp and some later point. You may can do the same thing with the Eclipse as well but that is not really covered in the owner's manual.

Thanks again,
Dennis

nismos14
07-30-2007, 10:30 PM
With the cd7100 you get 7 bands of peq in 4 sp mode and 11 bands in active mode

Pyro_By_Nature
07-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Single knob radios are overdone and annoying these days.

dwynne
08-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I decided to go with the CD7000.

I thought I might wait until the new Alpine CDA-9887 comes out and check it out. The pros would be "inexpensive" and fast ipod interface, looks like a nice display, time alignment, etc. The cons would be high cost for a new to the market unit, not much is known about it, optional "imprint tuning kit" availability and cost unknown at this time. There is also a finite number of cheap 7000s in the warehouses and once they are gone that would no longer be an option.

As to the 880 vs 7000:

1) The 880 only has a behind the faceplate aux in included, you have to buy the aux in box to get a rear panel aux in. These are $40-55. The ipod interface is spendy as well and has to daisy-chain off the aux in box. This means you spend $100 or more on 2 interfaces and have to mount/hide 2 boxes as well. Reading the reviews it seems they are not isolated - if you have your aux in source on while playing the ipod you hear both at the same time - you have to switch off the one not in use. The 7000 has a rear RCA aux in available so no expense - the ipod control box is about the same or maybe a little less than the 880's box. If you don't want to control the ipod through the 7000 then you can add a 2nd aux in for $25 or less. I think the 880 may have better control and ipod display, though.

2) The 7000 will interface with the steering wheel controls on the car this is going in without any adapters - just hook it up and go. The 880 needs either the SWI-X (IR = yuck) or the SWI-PS interface - another $50-75.

3) The CD7000 does not include the TA/EQ microphone, but it is only $20.

4) The 7000 is a better "Deal" (OK, I am a cheapskate and love getting deals) when compared to full price/retail value. Close to $300 for a new 880 now is just a little off of full price and down the road selling a used 880 would net you less money. Getting a new 7000 now for under $300 is a lot off of the normal price - even discount/non auth/fleabay prices. I would think - based on prices I see on the for sale forums - that a used 7000 would return a LOT more of its purchase price down the road.

5) Concerns about the 880 RCA output noise and lack of stated output voltage. By now the problem with the ground is probably fixed and not an issue, but something else to worry about - and I have seen posts complaining that the line-outs are not close to the rated output.

6) I was able to get the 7000 from an authorized dealer with a store receipt for a good bit under $300 - that was the final decision maker. I get the full warranty, online access to the tuning goodies, etc for less than the 880 would have cost me WITHOUT a factory warranty. Add in the cost of the SWI, aux in, and ipod controls to the 880 price and it was a lot more. In all the old and even some new discussions of the two folks kept saying "get the 880, it is just as good for half the price". Not for me, the 7000 was less money authorized for the HU and will be even less money with the aux and ipod and wheel controls. So if the primary reason to get the 880 was price, that is no longer the case.

I did find a dealer with the 880 and played with it, like the Pio in the convertible the menu and "joy knob" would take some getting used to and many of the functions are really buried deep. It looks really nice and I would expect it would sound super as well.

The 7000 is not without "flaws" but for less money for the HU and the add-ons it just seemed to make more "cents" to me :greedy: .

Dennis

6spdcoupe
08-02-2007, 04:29 PM
As for the steering controls.. do you have a Toyota/Lexus? If not you may have some issues. The 'learnable controls' are still lacking in support. Backup plan .. SWI-ECL

dwynne
08-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes, the Eclipse interface is known to work with my car (made by Toyota) so I should be good to go w/o an interface.

If you read the what is supported list at the Eclipse web page they don't even claim to work with other cars - which seems like something they should work on.

I have a non-PAC plug in interface on the Pio in the S2000 - it ties into the dash mounted radio controls and works even better (more features) than it did with the OEM radio and no IR problems or delays. It is custom made for S owners by an S owner and electronics guy - though I think you can make the SWI-PS plug in work in the S now that they have it out.

I am hoping the wired in Eclipse works as well in this car.

Dennis

whitemax
08-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Good choice :D.