PDA

View Full Version : What Are the Best Components?

nawgee
07-25-2007, 06:54 PM
ok im leaving the whole subwoofer game and looking to buy some really good quality components to make up for my lost of bass. Now i know that i wont get that much bass without subs...but what is a good system that would give nice sounding music all around

sandbags
07-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Jbl Gti Mkiis

Tim.B
07-27-2007, 06:14 AM
He said really good quality components.

Hertz, Dynaudio, Rainbow, Polk Audio SR series and Focal if you like that metal dome tweeter sound. But I would lean more toward the silk domes. Better sound quality for me. If you are woried about cost Go with the polk audio SR6500s. They would be the best bang for the buck. They will surprise you, they do sound good.

genxx
07-27-2007, 07:08 AM
I would have to add:
Morel, Genesis, HAT, Alpine F1 (aka Scan-Speak), JBL 660GTi.

HCCA
07-27-2007, 08:40 AM
How much power will you be giving them, and where will you mount them? If you mount them in the doors, and seal & damp them doors properly, you can still get better low end extension from comps run full range. 6.5's will give you a little better bass than 5.25's. Since no one has mentioned them, yet, I'll throw in Boston Pro 60's.

DejaWiz
07-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I would not recommend dumping the substage altogether. A sub can be a very important piece of the puzzle when creating a sweet sounding system. Even a small sub in a small box power by a small amount of power can provide happiness and fill the void for missing subbass frequencies.

As for the best components out there, that answer is easy for us to answer but hard for you to do so: The best components are not based on higher price, big power handling, famous brand name, familiar model number, etc. Whatever sounds best to your ears are the best components.

whitemax
07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Figure out what your budget is....then see which speakers will approach your goals the best.

Gary S
08-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I would not recommend dumping the substage altogether. A sub can be a very important piece of the puzzle when creating a sweet sounding system. Even a small sub in a small box power by a small amount of power can provide happiness and fill the void for missing subbass frequencies.

As for the best components out there, that answer is easy for us to answer but hard for you to do so: The best components are not based on higher price, big power handling, famous brand name, familiar model number, etc. Whatever sounds best to your ears are the best components.

- This is the best advice. Unless you can put a 3-way which comes with at least 8" midbass speakers or better in your doors, use a sub to fill in the bottom octave... that's what it's for.

Straegen
08-07-2007, 09:34 AM
One of the coolest installs I have seen for a "no sub" setup was a guy who put JL Audio 6w0 in the rear doors. They didn't hit real hard and you have to fab some boxes, but they did sound quite impressive for being little and very stealth. I was highly impressed and from a strictly listening standpoint they certainly got the job done and then some.

Dynaudio has some of the best grunt I have heard if you are going to push a speaker down below 100hz. Even it drops off slowly below 100 though and you aren't going to want drive it too much below 100hz as it will shorten the life of the speaker.

genxx
08-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Dynaudio has some of the best grunt I have heard if you are going to push a speaker down below 100hz. Even it drops off slowly below 100 though and you aren't going to want drive it too much below 100hz as it will shorten the life of the speaker.

So if I have a 6.5 mid-bass driver that has a freq response down to 20hz with lets say an fs of 38hz and an Xmax 15mm. If I play it down below 100hz it is going to only last 1/2 as long?

Straegen
08-07-2007, 11:10 AM
How long is very subjective and often depends on the speaker design. You can usually tell where a speaker was meant to run by looking at the frequency curve. In my example the Dynaudio will play below 100hz without an issue, but the curve starts to drop off at around 100hz which means you get weaker bass as you drop below 80hz. The closer you go to 20hz the more juice you have to hit the speaker with to reproduce the sound. Cross below 20hz and a truckload of speakers get torn up pretty fast. There is a reason subwoofers are built like small tanks and they still wear out over time. So if you take a tweeter and run 50hz on it, it won't last as long as it wasn't designed to run in that frequency.

Most of the time, I tell people to match the seperates as best they can and use the frequency curve to help naturally roll from one seperate to another. Usually this means a sub is running 20 to 60 to 80 then move up about 10-20hz start the midbass and depending on the speaker/slope go up from there. Eliminating overlap will often result in a much cleaner sound. I have heard countless systems that run one cross over right next to the other and that usually means a muddier sound.

3.5Max6spd
08-07-2007, 12:22 PM
DYns will have no problem. I ran my System 362 without a HP filter for months on.
And i was getting great bass out of them at substantial volume, where it was more than adequate and pounded on 95% of music. Its no large subwoofer bass, but for a door mounted mid there are very few exceptions on a speaker that can play those lower frequencies and have a stiff enough/well damped cone and the VC's that can handle the power ....that wont buckle trying to reproduce those frequencies below the midbass region.

It comes down to expectations. No mids will give you higher than avg spl in the low low bass region in a door, but very few can play flat and sound tonally correct like the Dyns from my experience with various brands and applications.

xtremekustomz
08-07-2007, 04:20 PM
I've had my dyn's running down to 40 hz for almost 3 years. I ride with the windows down alot so I almost always have the music cranked so it can overcome the wind/road noise. No, you aren't going to get low sub bass out of them because they aren't designed for that but it will be at least decent. As for the 6W0 comment...if I'm not mistaken those are subwoofers. Until my current setup with the midbass in the kicks in the ap enclosures...I've never heard a kick drum sound as realistic as it does now. It is unbelieveable sitting in the truck and hearing everything come from above the dash. And I mean EVERYTHING. It's like the songs are being played out on my hood, bass, drums, vocals....everything. It is amazing. Now I will say this....I went well beyond a basic installation so that has alot to do with it but there are alot of quality components that will sound pretty darn good in doors. I know alot of guys use the Dyn MW160 and rave about it but if you can fit an 8" in there and possible run a 3 way setup......:) :) :) I guess it is really going to be determined by how much you want to spend.

Straegen
08-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree with the DynAudio comments above. I haven't heard every speaker, but of all the ones I have if you like midbass their 3way with the 7" is hard to beat. Looking at the 7s curve anything below 40-50hz looks like it is just wasted energy.

Yes the 6w0 is subwoofer but I have seen it used in "no sub" setups as in no box in the trunk. If you have a four door and want to simply put speakers in the doors, it is worth considering. It doesn't drop down to 20-30hz well though so you don't feel it as much as a more traditional subwoofer.

xtremekustomz
08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah...once you get down to a certain point it is...but it does make a difference in the kick drum area being able to run it as low as possible. I mean...I have run mine with no crossover at all and it sounded amazing....but you can't expect to be able to listen to it unless it is at a low to moderate level. As for "subs" in the doors.......I don't even want to think about having to do that LOL Talk about some extreme modifications to those door to be able to handle something like that. Not to mention the LAYERS of deadener.

Gary S
08-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Look, I'm 40, an old man, and listen mostly to background music these days, and I still have two - 12" subs. Get some subs, don't be a wimp, LOL!

NewToTheGrounds
08-09-2007, 09:58 PM
you tell him gary lay it down!!