PDA

View Full Version : Blown Speakers

Twista89
07-25-2007, 04:21 PM
OK I need some help I installed some MB Quarts a couple of months ago in the doors and one of the speakers vibrated itself out of the bracket that was holding it up and it fell down and the magnet became attracted to the door and I didnt notice it until it stoped playing recently so I took the door apart to see that. Now the tweeter still works because I hear it but the woofer itself only moves when I press up on one of the wires that is connected to the cone itself. I was wondering does this mean the speaker is blown?? When I press up on the wire connected to the cone it plays the music with no distortion...nothing...plays normally but as soon as I let go of the wire that is taped to the cone it stops playing. This also happened to one of the paper 6x9 in the trunk. What does this mean?? Can it be fixed?? The speaker looks to still be intact with the coil so I dont know what to do.

djman37
07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
broken tinsel lead AT the former|coil = hard to repair, if at all.

Twista89
07-25-2007, 04:40 PM
If you dont mind can you explain in a little bit more detail. This was my first audio purchase for my car so Im a little new to the audio world. Thanks :D

djman37
07-25-2007, 05:09 PM
If you dont mind can you explain in a little bit more detail. This was my first audio purchase for my car so Im a little new to the audio world. Thanks :D

the explanation leads me to believe that the tinsel lead, the wire that connects from your wire terminal on your speaker to the actual voice coil, is snapped. When you lift up on it, it plays meaning you re-made the connection temporarily. It's broken and would be difficult, if possible, to repair.