PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Type R SPR-17S components vs the competition?

kingrukus
07-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Hi:
I am looking at buying some Alpine SPR-17S components, as they seem to have get decent reviews, and the price is excellent. They will be getting powered by my JL 300/2 (150x2 @ 2-4ohms).

What I want to know is how good is the midbass on these things? I want a lot of midbass, and not too harsh highs. Also how do these compare to the competition (CDT EF & CL series, etc)?

I am looking to spend less than $150.00 for the set, however I am willing to up my budget a little to get the CDT EF series from woofersetc.com.

Thanks

genxx
07-25-2007, 05:21 AM
I would also take a look at the PG RSd, they are cheaper also. For the price of the PG I think they are almost unbeatable in the 90-200 range. Unless you find some Crystals. They have good midbass and I actually feel they are better than the lower line CDT's.IMO The Alpines Type-R are very good for their price point, don't get me wrong. If I was going to spend a little more I would look at the Pioneer 720PRS comps, they can be had in the 220-250 range. You would have to go severeal levels up the CDT chain to equal them.IMO

mapolley07
07-25-2007, 08:01 AM
i just installed my Pg RSD 5.25s yesterday, and for $129 shipped I am very happy. They haven't broken in yet, so i haven't had them at much volume, but I am impressed so far. I am running them off of the front channels of a profile AP 1040 4ch that puts out about 70-80 walls RMS

I won't really crank them for about two weeks, just run them lower volume to break in, but for the price, I don't thing you can beat them.

tbasile1
07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
x3 on the PGs

bjayjr5679
07-25-2007, 04:42 PM
all right i know that everybody here recommends the pgs and lower cdt's in the price that the op is shooting for but has anyone actually heard the new type r's to honestly say that they are as bad as the old type r's. I bought them just because i got a good deal on them and heard them in someones car off of headunit power and thought that they were quite good for the money. Will post a good review once i can deaden my doors and do a quality install.

SRim23
07-25-2007, 06:04 PM
my experience with the type r's is that they are almost exactly opposite of what you want. my girlfriend has two sets in her car and the tweets are kinda harsh and the midbass could be better. probably something that could be fixed with a better installation but midbass is lacking in them. they are just mounted in the doors with some dynamat on the door and thats about it.

bjayjr5679
07-25-2007, 06:59 PM
my experience with the type r's is that they are almost exactly opposite of what you want. my girlfriend has two sets in her car and the tweets are kinda harsh and the midbass could be better. probably something that could be fixed with a better installation but midbass is lacking in them. they are just mounted in the doors with some dynamat on the door and thats about it.

Now was this the old or new type r's

SRim23
07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
she has actually had both. her set up front suffered some water damage and they blew. so now she has a new set up front and old set in the rear.

honestly i cant tell much difference but thats just me.

NYR36
07-25-2007, 07:04 PM
I did not like the Type Rs when I heard them

Hoodlum007
07-26-2007, 01:02 PM
i still like my CL61's better compared to the RSD Pg's.
My buddy has rsd's in one of his cars and cdt's CL's in the other, both sound really good but the CL's sound more natural and detailed with more midbass \.