PDA

View Full Version : How sensitive are components to underpowering??

NoPh33rRaCiNg
07-24-2007, 10:34 PM
If it was to underpower a set of components by 10watts would it be any of any harm? i wasent sure how sensitive components were to being underpowered like some subs.

kross
07-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Technically speaking, underpowering won't damage a speaker. However, what usually happens is, because the amp is putting out enough power for the level of loudness that the listener wants, they will crank it up to the max, thus sending a distorted signal to the speakers, which WILL damage them.

If you set your gains properly so that it doesn't send a distorted signal even at max volume, then you shouldn't have a problem.

-- Kevin

NoPh33rRaCiNg
07-24-2007, 11:25 PM
ok thanks. one more thing. are there seperate gains for each channel on 4 channel amps? ive never worked with a 4 channel and was wondering if i can get a set of comps that are say 100 rms each side, and i have rear kicker 6.5's that are 50 rms... can i set the front gain on the amp alittle higher and set the rears lower on the amp so i dont blow my rears?

bdavies11
07-24-2007, 11:35 PM
There is no such thing as damaging speakers/subs from underpowering them. But like Kross said if you get too aggressive with your gains u can send clipped signals and damage them.

On a 4 channel amp there are 2 gain knobs. One is for the front speakers the other is for the rear and yes u can turn down the rear gains if you wish.

BTW you arent going to notice 10 watts (especially when your talking about 100 watts) so i wouldn't worry about it. Just set the gains with a DMM if possible and you'll be fine.