PDA

View Full Version : Repalcement for 2000 buick moonsoon

chucku
07-24-2007, 09:13 PM
My wifes rear speakers are shot. I tore apart the back deck and found a 5x7 or 6x9 and a 3'' tweet? next to them. There is an amp in the trunk. I checked crutchfield for direct replacements and they show every speakes size as fitting. What would be the best route to go? There are wires for the tweeter and woofer so I need a component set. Anybody who has dealt with these stereo systems any insight would be helpful. Thanks, Chuck

docutech
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I owned a 99 Regal with the Monsoon system. It sounded awesome for a stock setup. One of my rear speakers blew. Sounded like shizzle if you get my drift. I decided to go ahead and upgrade.

Got on Crutchfield and ordered a set of Infinity 6x9's, nice ones! Freakin excited as hell, I jumped the gun and ripped out the stock rears to make room for the new stuff. The speakers arrived and they looked beautiful!! Installed them in a jiffy and to my surprise they sounded like **** :crap:

I got on the phone and proceeded to speak with a rep about my problem. Connections were good, speakers were good. Monsoon amp = bad! The Infinity's didn't match the amp. Monsoon = 8 ohm, Infinitys = 4 ohm. At low volumes they sounded nice but as soon as you cranked the volume, they would bottom out and had horrible output (not to mention no bass)

You have a couple of choices.

1. Stay stock. This is my recommendation. Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com and put in these numbers:

Those are the replacement parts for the rear speakers. GM recommends you replace them together. For around 60 dollars you can replace the rears.

2. Go after market

I dont know much about that part of it so maybe someone will chime in to help on that part.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Good Luck!

frzninvt
07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Yep that Monsoon is a PITA to deal with you can get speakers that are bi-wireable/ampable as well but good luck finding 8 ohm drivers. I would recommend the stock replacements as suggested above. I had a 2001 Grand Am GT and I had to maintain the stock radio in the car in addition to the aftermarket unit in the dash and it also required a special harness - I hate GM!

chucku
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys thats the info I was looking for. Stock speakers will be fine and are cheap. The system sounds good enough stock but the blown soeakers sounded really bad.

chucku
07-25-2007, 04:17 PM
I owned a 99 Regal with the Monsoon system. It sounded awesome for a stock setup. One of my rear speakers blew. Sounded like shizzle if you get my drift. I decided to go ahead and upgrade.

Got on Crutchfield and ordered a set of Infinity 6x9's, nice ones! Freakin excited as hell, I jumped the gun and ripped out the stock rears to make room for the new stuff. The speakers arrived and they looked beautiful!! Installed them in a jiffy and to my surprise they sounded like **** :crap:

I got on the phone and proceeded to speak with a rep about my problem. Connections were good, speakers were good. Monsoon amp = bad! The Infinity's didn't match the amp. Monsoon = 8 ohm, Infinitys = 4 ohm. At low volumes they sounded nice but as soon as you cranked the volume, they would bottom out and had horrible output (not to mention no bass)

You have a couple of choices.

1. Stay stock. This is my recommendation. Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com and put in these numbers:

Those are the replacement parts for the rear speakers. GM recommends you replace them together. For around 60 dollars you can replace the rears.

2. Go after market

I dont know much about that part of it so maybe someone will chime in to help on that part.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Good Luck!

I checked those #'s and there is no pic and only a description "speaker" I need 2 mids and 1 tweet, do you know what they are exactly? I dont want to order the wrong speakers. Thanks, Chuck

docutech
07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
There are no pictures of the speakers on the site.

What you will get is a tweeter and a mid for each part number. The speakers will come with the big plastic shell that mounts to the rear deck. Just like the one you have now. They are ready for install out of the box.

You cant just buy a tweeter seperately. Those are sold in sets.

If you are unsure of the part numbers, just visit a local Buick dealer and go to the parts counter. Tell them you want replacement for your rear speakers. They will look them up and tell you the part number. I garrawntee that it will be the numbers I posted above. They will also tell you that GM recommends you replace them as a pair (meaning left pair and a right pair). THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

Just for kicks ask them for their price (and hang on to your shorts!) :laugh:

chucku
07-27-2007, 07:41 AM
So you are saying that each part # is for each speaker? So I need to order those 2 part # for a left and right speaker? I think I get it now. Thanks again.