PDA

View Full Version : Overkill for Polk SR6500's??

rotormotor
07-22-2007, 08:31 PM
hi i have a 3rd gen mazda rx7, and have 2 sets of polk sr6500's for the front and rear stage. im trying to decide on a head unit but i wanted to ask for some advice before i go off the deep end. ive narrowed it down to two options:
Nakamichi CD500
Nakamichi cd700II

the cd500 is $450, and the cd700II is $1200!!! yes money is a big factor in my decision as the cd700II is more than TWICE the cd500. also the cd700 is a "dead head" so id need to add a nice amp to it as well which will significantly raise the price even further just to get it up and running. so my questions are
1. is the 700 twice the head unit for the price?
2. is it even worth throwing such an expensive head unit at the polk 6500's or are they of a high enough quality that an ultra high end head unit would not be wasted on them?

thanks for your advice, heath :)

rotormotor
07-23-2007, 01:08 AM
bump

probmxstyle
07-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Well the polks are very accurate speakers. If you dont have a clean signal going to them you will hear it. But I would say the $400 unit would suit you fine as. I hope you know you will need to run an amp reguardless with either unit to really make the speakers shine. Get rid of the polks if you plan on just running them off h/u power.

rotormotor
07-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Well the polks are very accurate speakers. If you dont have a clean signal going to them you will hear it. But I would say the $400 unit would suit you fine as. I hope you know you will need to run an amp reguardless with either unit to really make the speakers shine. Get rid of the polks if you plan on just running them off h/u power.

thanks and ill be asking next for recommendations for a very nice amp that would suit the polks well. at the moment im just trying to figure out if ill actually be able to hear a significant difference between the cd500 and cd700II (especially since its in a car with road noise etc factored in). also i know the polks are great speakers, but i do realize that theyre not the ultimate "TOP SHELF" comps, and for the price the nakamichi 700II it seems to be in that ultra-premium range. im just not sure if nakamichi surpasses the polks by a great distance, to the point that any gains within the entire system are lost in the limitations of the SR6500's. sorry if i sound like a newb, but i am :) and there is a steep learning curve. -heath

genxx
07-23-2007, 04:00 AM
The SR6500 are very very good set of comps. I considered the polk 6500 on the higher-end. Why do you think you are going to be able to hear a major difference through your speakers by how high up the food chain in the HU department you go.

If you are looking for a great SQ deck then your generally looking for these things no matter who makes it:
24 Bit DAC--Burr Brown being the better IMO
4 volt or higher pre-out voltage
EQ ability
Quality of internals
X-over ability if going active

Here are some HU for to look at that are considered many to be on top of the SQ heap. This is not all just a short list off the top of my head. Just compare them to either Nakamichi you mentioned to help you sort out the Naks. I think most would consider the CD700 equal to or be better than some of the deck listed.
Alpine 7909, 9835, 9855
Eclipse 8053, 8443, 8454, 8455
Clarion DRZ9255
RockFord (Denford) RFX8250
A bunch of the Denon HU

If you are looking for all SQ then look into a mid to higher end amp, this is personnel preference though. However, there are some very good budget amps out there that will shock you.

dwynne
07-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I would sell the rear SR6500s (to someone nice, like me :crazy: ) and put the extra money into the head unit, amp, and sub systems.

Having $450-750 (depending on where you get them) components mounted in the rear of your 7 is just a big waste of money.

Dennis

Monologuist
07-23-2007, 02:01 PM
I would invest in a head unit with Time Alignment and nice Crossover features (and good EQ's). The Nakamichi decks lack in this regard. Having Time Laignment alone will make more of a difference in achieving the optimal sound in your car than just about anything else, particularly if your speaker placement is less than ideal. I ma using the Clarion DXZ775USB at the moment, but will probably switch to the new Alpine 9887 when it comes out in a few weeks.

I've had a pair of SR6500's in my frontstage for 3 weeks now. They're just starting to break-in really nicely. I found that setting the tweeter levels was key to getting the optimal sound. I have mine powered by two channels of an Alpine PDX-4.100 and they sound great paired together. I also have a Boston Acoustics GT-22 that I have tried on them and that also sounds great, but different. The Alpine give them a bit tighter and cleaner sound, particularly in the midbass. The Boston amp has more air up top, and the dynamics are better. I've heard the Polk c400.4 matches well with them as well. Just make sure you've got a good 100W/channel going to these things, or more.

Bottom line is these speakers have a lot of potential, but I think your $$ would be well spent towards processing features to optimize the sound. (As opposed to a head unit where the money is strictly going into everything but, like the Nakamichis).

rotormotor
07-28-2007, 02:38 AM
well.... unfortunately my worst side got the best of me and i went for the CD700II

the last piece of the puzzle is now an amp, so does anyone have recommendations for an amp for a cd700II and polk SR6500's front and back in a 3rd gen rx7?

genxx
07-28-2007, 04:03 AM
Well since you are spending on the higher end. I would take a look at Audison, ARC, Zapco, Genesis, TRU for amps. I think Sinfoni might be a little to high for you but you can check them out.

I have been very happy with the Audison and ARC amps. I would also look at the Eclipse XA and JL slash lines. The Diamond amps are nice to especially the older D7 line you can still find new if you look.

rotormotor
07-29-2007, 04:49 AM
Well since you are spending on the higher end. I would take a look at Audison, ARC, Zapco, Genesis, TRU for amps. I think Sinfoni might be a little to high for you but you can check them out.

I have been very happy with the Audison and ARC amps. I would also look at the Eclipse XA and JL slash lines. The Diamond amps are nice to especially the older D7 line you can still find new if you look.

thanks for the recommendations :toast: ... after looking at various models im leaning towards the Audison vrx 4.300 . the only thing im trying to figure out is where the hell to mount the thing (and the 4 rather large x-overs for my polk SR's). im going for a stealth install, but i cant find anywhere to hide a 4ch. amp and the x-overs. i was hoping under the seats but i just measured and theres no room under there for anything more than loose change. :(

genxx
07-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Might check out the LRx line thats what I have in one of my vehicles and I wuv them. I really like the Audison line of amps. My fav is the ARC amps but thats personnel preference.

tbasile1
07-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Audison amps = :yumyum:

Amazing amps man!!!!

dwynne
07-29-2007, 01:55 PM
thanks for the recommendations :toast: ... after looking at various models im leaning towards the Audison vrx 4.300 . the only thing im trying to figure out is where the hell to mount the thing (and the 4 rather large x-overs for my polk SR's). im going for a stealth install, but i cant find anywhere to hide a 4ch. amp and the x-overs. i was hoping under the seats but i just measured and theres no room under there for anything more than loose change. :(

Why not lose the components in the rear and go active with the fronts? Use the 4 channel amp to drive one pair of SR6500s in the front active - then you have 0 Polk passive x-overs to hide. If your HU can do the x-over then you don't even have to buy/hide an external active crossover.

Dennis

skydeaner
07-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Why not lose the components in the rear and go active with the fronts? Use the 4 channel amp to drive one pair of SR6500s in the front active - then you have 0 Polk passive x-overs to hide. If your HU can do the x-over then you don't even have to buy/hide an external active crossover.

Dennis

:applause:

cougarsd
07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
if you want to hide (in case not going active) trunk is always a good place to hide, besides it is very accesible whenever you want to make a change on the set up.

rotormotor
07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
if you want to hide (in case not going active) trunk is always a good place to hide, besides it is very accesible whenever you want to make a change on the set up.

i dont really have a trunk...... if i could find a picture of the hatch its really small already, and then to have a battery (i have to relocate it to the "trunk"), 4 x-overs, and an amp back there i wont really be left with much room...

genxx
07-30-2007, 02:52 AM
You could always do a false floor on the trunk. Active is a good recommendation but you need to do some research before just jumping into it. If you decide to go that way. The passive x-over on the SR6500 are some of the best in passive sets though so that is a plus.IMO Not sure what all the processing power on the 700 is. You can always use the x-overs on the Audisons they have very nice x-overs built in. Probably going to need some EQ processing though if go active.

If you decide to go active just check out the sticky passive vs active under speaker section before you do it. So you have some understanding of what you are getting into.

I am a active fan myself.

rotormotor
07-30-2007, 02:56 PM
ok i just found a decent deal on an audison vrx 4.300 so i went for it. i hope that will match the HU and components nicely. what if i stuck with the 4 passive crossovers and mounted them and the amp in the spare wheel well? would there not be enough airflow to cool the amp? it would be (for the most part) sealed :(

meinbeast
07-30-2007, 10:30 PM
You will be very pleased with that set-up. My only advice is be careful overpowering the SR's. I have a modest 200watts going to mine and my tweeter protectors could double as headlights. Ive already fried one tweeter and really watch the volume now.

DejaWiz
07-31-2007, 09:14 AM
That Audison amp should do nicely. If you haven't gotten it yet, take a closer look at the teenie tiny Alpine PDX-4.100 or 4.150 amps.

rotormotor
08-02-2007, 01:32 AM
so i just got the cd700II in the mail today.... definately not a budget amp by any means :( and its not particularly sophisticated, there are NO frills at all... but the volume knob is the best ive ever had the pleasure of rotating :) . IMHO its worth every penny and my dash will look like it came from the factory with this HU. now im waiting on the audison 4.300 and the second set of polks before getting into the install and figuring out where/how to mount everything. -heath

phrozen_lad
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
ah,read this too late!! when looking for a great SQ small amp...the genesis profile range is AWESOME :D

Gary S
08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Quality of sound is mostly speakers, install, tunning, speaker placement, and system design... sound differences between amps and head units set to flat and unclipped are non-existant... most speaker distortion starts at 3% and will mask any distortion from other components which is way below speaker distortion. Don't waste your money.

genxx
08-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Quality of sound is mostly speakers, install, tunning, speaker placement, and system design... sound differences between amps and head units set to flat and unclipped are non-existant... most speaker distortion starts at 3% and will mask any distortion from other components which is way below speaker distortion. Don't waste your money.

I would agree with some of what you said but the highlighted portion is highly debatable and has been debated many times. That is a very generalized statement.

You take dual and pyramid. I will take DRZ9255 and Audison VRx we use the same speakers, install, vehicle and lets see what sounds better all set flat.

Rotor you are headed in the right direction. You sound is only as good as the source. Speakers cannot make your source something its not.

There are cheaper products on the market that are very good. Nothing wrong with starting at the top instead of working your way to it unless you don't have the cash.

rotormotor
08-08-2007, 04:40 AM
I would agree with some of what you said but the highlighted portion is highly debatable and has been debated many times. That is a very generalized statement.

You take dual and pyramid. I will take DRZ9255 and Audison VRx we use the same speakers, install, vehicle and lets see what sounds better all set flat.

Rotor you are headed in the right direction. You sound is only as good as the source. Speakers cannot make your source something its not.

There are cheaper products on the market that are very good. Nothing wrong with starting at the top instead of working your way to it unless you don't have the cash.

thanks, im definately feeling the $$ pinch from the amp and HU on the rest of my project car buildup... but id rather do this once and do it well. the amp should arive in a week or so and then i have to decide wether to attempt the install myself, or wether i should find a reputable shop to do everything CORRECTLY for me. :laugh: also, i need to do some research as to what exactly would be the best placement for the tweeters. the rears are going to be a bit tricky, but i just got ahold of a coustom rear speaker mount-plate. i just dont know where the best place to mount the rear tweeters is (the rear seats are extreemly small so its not often that people will be back there. id like to mount them with the focus on front seating... specifically ME :) ).

rotormotor
12-05-2008, 11:18 PM
hey guys, so im finally ready to start installing everything (starting with the headunit, as i need to get the dash back in the car). what i realized when i just went to test fit the CD700II is that it somehow does not seem to be din size??? how is this possible? there is a rather substantial gap not only on the top/bottom but also on the sides. has anyone else run into this issue? i didnt have any problem installing my cd500's into the standard din opening.... so im not sure why this install is any different :(

Cpyder
12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
The SR6500 are very very good set of comps. I considered the polk 6500 on the higher-end. Why do you think you are going to be able to hear a major difference through your speakers by how high up the food chain in the HU department you go.

If you are looking for a great SQ deck then your generally looking for these things no matter who makes it:
24 Bit DAC--Burr Brown being the better IMO
4 volt or higher pre-out voltage
EQ ability
Quality of internals
X-over ability if going active

Here are some HU for to look at that are considered many to be on top of the SQ heap. This is not all just a short list off the top of my head. Just compare them to either Nakamichi you mentioned to help you sort out the Naks. I think most would consider the CD700 equal to or be better than some of the deck listed.
Alpine 7909, 9835, 9855
Eclipse 8053, 8443, 8454, 8455
Clarion DRZ9255
RockFord (Denford) RFX8250
A bunch of the Denon HU

If you are looking for all SQ then look into a mid to higher end amp, this is personnel preference though. However, there are some very good budget amps out there that will shock you.

Don't forget Alpine CDA-9887. It's got all those specs plus Imprint, which I love!