PDA

View Full Version : not audio/video......computer guys questions

Street DreamsCC
07-20-2007, 10:51 PM
I need to load windows XP into my dell laptop. It has windows 98 now.

I have a HP desktop that has windows XP. I had made restore dvd disks that can restore the programs if the hard drives is screwed. But they said it will only work on that computer.
I could copy over the dvds to cd. But would it actully work to wipe out the laptop and load these disks into my laptop?
I mostly need it to run the termlab software and to go wireless. 98 isnt compatible.
Not looking to spend alot on a software disk as I could just buy a laptop on ebay with it for @ $100

Qbenjamin
07-20-2007, 10:57 PM
3 threads? Server Error?

Street DreamsCC
07-20-2007, 11:04 PM
browser wasnt loading. then when it finally did I seen 4 posts.

95BlackGA
07-21-2007, 12:12 AM
No, the Dell laptop will NOT work with the HP recovery disks. You could try, but I doubt it would work, the OEM disks are loaded with drivers that are only needed for the OEM computer... However, you can find illegal copies all over the internet for free (If you think the chance of Microsoft gettin' you is worth it. ;) ). I've actually had to download one before because the disc I had bought was f*cked up. It worked, but I used the registration code from the disc I had bought, so I don't know whether or not the 'cracks' work or not.

Street DreamsCC
07-21-2007, 11:03 AM
I went to allbootdisk and they had it. Bit when I did my HP it took 2 dvds. These files fit onto 1 cd.

I dont think I got the reg. code for the HP either. So I wonder if it would work.

Also how do I wipe out the windows program. I didnt find anywhere it allowed me to.

docutech
07-21-2007, 10:08 PM
It will not work.

A recovery disk made for a specific manufacturer such as Dell or HP, checks the BIOS first to authenticate that it is a Dell PC you are attempting to recover. Lets say you format your laptop in hopes of installing the recovery OS and programs from your HP you will be screwed. The PC will halt at the validation screen and you will not be able to pursue any further. Then it is time to purchase the XP OS, which is what you should have done to begin with.